Options

Los Altos Police Encounter

2»

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    At local events such as Oktoberfest and the Renaissance Faire, I take pictures of everything. If I shoot a kid I will ask the parents if they want a pictures e-mailed to them for free. Play on their egos.

A few times I have been exasperated by folks giving me a speech, so whe they pause I smile and great them kindly in one of a few languages. "Dobro Jutro" usually works well.

I think our society is assuming guilt until proven innocent. A year ago I went to Costco and wondered why I was standing in a huge line to get out of the store after I have made my purchase. Some kid is putting pen marks on receipts, what are they looking for? I went around the line and walked right out, just like I do in all other stores. Of course security freaked, but I had committed no crime. Now I never wait in line. :-)
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    They are checking the reciepts to see if the Cashier charged you for everything you have. They are doing it to watch the cashier, not you.

I agree with you, I refuse to be inconvenienced becasue they can'ttrust their own employees

I walk right past them.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    One time I got outside of Costco then realized they charges me twice for one item. I went right back in and got a refund for one of them, even with the check mark on the receipt.

So they are doing this to catch bad cashiers? What happened to hiring trustworthy people in the first place?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    PF, I agree with that the news biz needs conflict to generate sales/ratings.

Two responses.

First, don't shoot the messenger: if that's what people will buy, then someone will sell it to them. If they were willing to shell-out for good news, then there would be a market for it. But they're not.

Second, and far more importantly: Rutt said there had been some child assaults in the area. Now that's serious stuff, and police generally try to get the word out when that sort of thing happens. It's entirely appropriate for the community to be on guard. It was an unusual circumstance into which Rutt innocently wandered.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    PF, I agree with that the news biz needs conflict to generate sales/ratings.

Two responses.

First, don't shoot the messenger: if that's what people will buy, then someone will sell it to them. If they were willing to shell-out for good news, then there would be a market for it. But they're not.

Second, and far more importantly: Rutt said there had been some child assaults in the area. Now that's serious stuff, and police generally try to get the word out when that sort of thing happens. It's entirely appropriate for the community to be on guard. It was an unusual circumstance into which Rutt innocently wandered.
    I've been sitting here reading this thread for ages... (I should be outside shooting me new lens) and my body is reacting without me.. I feel saddened and annoyed. I'ts a terrible shame that Rutty (and others) had to go through that expericence, as well as being annoying I think it acutally hurts. Feels unjust. I do however sympathize (to a degree) with the parents. If some man was taking shots of my little ones in my yard I would confront him too.. I was in a restaurant a while back and desperately wanted to try a shot at a small child in a high chair. Ifinally went over and asked permission and gave them my history and where I lived etc. the more I chatted the more I could see the mom relax (woman to woman) but I could feel the young dad bristle slightly to my side.. he finally relaxed.. I took shots, sent them copies after (they gave me a work number). I find it very difficult to take shots of people unless it's in a vacation, (photo happy) place. I feel like I'm invading privicy in some way.. I'tll be a long time before I take a shot like that in a restaurant again.. I felt uncomfortable. I think taking shots of buildings is a whole different thing.. I would not hesitate to do that and Pathfinders story of the woman and the sunset is hysterical... if only it were funny... oh well.. this is the world we live in.. I'm glad I live in the county where no one knows what a camera is... (I take mostly animals and they just keep on munching).

Sigh...... I'm going outside...:cry
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    I've been sitting here reading this thread for ages... (I should be outside shooting me new lens) and my body is reacting without me.. I feel saddened and annoyed.

This is a hot button issue for me. I'm lucky I've moved to Florida and shoot mainly wildlife now. Birds are much easier to get along with than people. I did a lot of candids & street photography in NYC. While in NYC I would usually be hasseled once a day, more if i was shooting with Andy. I've been stopped by cops, security guards, subway conductors, strangers etc. I've lost count of the stupid converations I've had over my photography.

I basically will shoot anything i damn well please in public now and if soemone doesn't like it too bad. The only thing i avoid is candids of children (that gets too emotional). I did have one dumnb conversation with a parent on one of beaches here. I was taking shots of surfers and didn't realize that some children were in front of the camera (I didn't have them in frame). A father approached me and asked why I was taking pics of his little girl in her bikini. I said I wasn't, he didn't belive me and wanted my film. I said no film. He said he wanted to see my pictures. I said not now I'm busy. He insisted because he didn't want folks seeing pics of his little girl in her bikini. I said if he felt that way then why did he dress her in a bikini in the first place. He gave up.

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    i resemble that remark!
    Harryb wrote:
    ... I did a lot of candids & street photography in NYC. While in NYC I would usually be hasseled once a day, more if i was shooting with Andy.

11416929-Ti.gif

remember this guy?

1502820-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    Here we go again. Apprently the FBI has noticed suspicious activity in the Nation's Capital...people taking pictures!

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/1/15/134036.shtml

I guess George Eastman is the father of all terrorists now.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    0z is a very over regulated place, we have more laws than we know what to do with. They have just banned smoking on beaches & this morning i see this in the news.

They talk about obvious places where cameras shouldnt be but i also heard that they will try for full ban in populated areas of the beach on the radio yesterday.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11946943%255E26462,00.html

I have taken my camera to the beach many times...thats a great place to photograph my family having fun. Looks like it over now though as im sure others will quickly follow.

The whole issue is that parents are protective of their children. We are only animals & its common knowledge that you must accept the dangers of showing interest in any animals offspring.

On our farm i happily would walk through paddocks with hundreds of our cows but if they had young calves about then i would rather walk through the stallions paddock instead to avoid the mothers. They would all run at you & i have been surrounded by them on more than one occassion. Out of calf season & they wouldn't even lift their heads to look at you.

You are perceved as a threat to their young....its in our genetic code as animals.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    They would all run at you & i have been surrounded by them on more than one occassion.
    They would demand my CF card !

just thought i would get that in before fish did.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    Whew, Australia. For a minute there I thought you were in California, some beraches have just outlawed smoking here. I doubt it is for the smoke, I think it is to do wiht the littering.

Well it looks like the perverts listed in the article may not have the ability to have a keepsave of what they saw, but nothing is stopping them from seeing it. Seems they are killing a fly with an A-bomb. Well not really killing it, jst making it work harder. Let's remove cameras from everyone because of what one or two people may be doing.

[font=arial,helvetica,helv]"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    [/font]
  • Options
    smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    wow
    My eyes are bleeding. What a sad state we are in. Well first of all I'd like to say that I found this very interesting. Maybe this is one of those times where being a girl gets me special treatment. No one has ever said a negative or questioning word to me, ever. However I do get stared at all the time... like I am a circus freak with a camera. And what could I possibly be doing with that thing? They stare up at the sky looking at what I could possibly be photographing? Nothing exciting up there, just trees, buildings, skies... they give up. I think it is HYSTERICAL! But in Millenium Park (huge public space with architecture and children) I do catch some parents looking at me with concern. I just look away. Usually that seems to do the trick. I do tend to only photograph people when they are in front of something very public. I am more interested in the space void of the people anyway. But... I guess the point is I am little and female and don't look threatening. But I do carry two cameras.. one big, one little. It helps when I want to look like a tourist rather than a terrorist.
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!