Options

Signature on Print

getnoutsidegetnoutside Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited January 30, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
For those selling fine art prints on Smugmug, does anyone digitally put their signature on their images?

If I am providing a matted/framed print I always put my JH on the lower left of the mat. However, if someone purchases a print from Smugmug with the intention of getting it framed, there is no credit to the photographer. Maybe it seems vain, but I would like credit for my hard work.

Does it sound cheesy or unprofessional to have a digital signature?

Comments

• Options
    reach4urstarreach4urstar Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    I don't think it is cheesy or unprofessional at all to sign a work of art.
    Lara
    Canon 40D

www.digipose.com
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Not cheesy, but hard to get right. Chances are it will get covered by matte in framing.

Malte
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Malte wrote:
    Not cheesy, but hard to get right. Chances are it will get covered by matte in framing.

Typical matting covers 1/4 inch on each edge of the picture. If you compensate for this then you could certainly add your signature digitally to the image.

When I make prints I typically sign the lower right of the actual print, but I don't (currently) do any kind of electronic signing at SM. I do remember in the recent past seeing a site where a photog sold fine art prints & included his signature in a digital format. He explains it on a page about "signed prints" that the electronic signature allows him to chose a color and placement that is tailored to each image & is in a way superior to a typical "pen-signed" print.

I think it's an interesting thing to consider... some folks are of the opinion that it isn't right to sign your work & that it's a egotistical thing to do. It seems that this is only true in the photography world - for example, in paint it's almost a given that the work will be signed. I say, why not photography?
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    This is something I'd like to do, too...but would only work with print delay or with specific sizes enabled with image prices so the different aspect ratio crops wouldn't have the sig in the wrong spot.
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    rdlugosz wrote:
    ...If you compensate for this then you could certainly add your signature digitally to the image.

Yeah, I guess that's true.
    rdlugosz wrote:
    ...He explains it on a page about "signed prints" that the electronic signature allows him to chose a color and placement that is tailored to each image & is in a way superior to a typical "pen-signed" print.

I don't know, I'm kinda old-fashioned and think that a signature should prove that the photographer has been there, to sign off the print. But I guess if you trust the lab enough, it would work.
    rdlugosz wrote:
    ...some folks are of the opinion that it isn't right to sign your work & that it's a egotistical thing to do. ...in paint it's almost a given that the work will be signed. I say, why not photography?

I think the photographer definately has the right to sign his/her work, but it has to be something the customer is expecting. It has to be there when browsing the photos in Smugmug. How about using the watermarking feature as a signature layer? Or is that semi-transparent only? I'm thinking in a delayed print scenario.

Malte