chinatown, san francisco

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited February 2, 2005 in Landscapes
got to meet up with good friend and fine photographer, steve cavigliano this afternoon in san francisco's chinatown. it was a terrible day weather and light-wise, but we made the best of it. i've been at it really hard for the past few weeks and i thoroughly enjoyed being in my element, street shooting.

here are a three from the day's take

14176457-L.jpg

14176453-L.jpg

14176458-L.jpg

enjoy (street) photography,

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,935 moderator
    edited January 14, 2005
    I've always loved a shot that leads me down a canyon made of
    high-rise buildings towards the water.

SFO is a great city for just such a shot.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    14176458-S.jpg

Andy, what I like about that last one is that you resisted the urge to make sure that the instrument was clearly visible, and got a great composition. As soon as I saw it I thought, "I would have been so tied up with getting the instrument, I would have missed that shot."

Nice work.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Andy, what I like about that last one is that you resisted the urge to make sure that the instrument was clearly visible, and got a great composition. As soon as I saw it I thought, "I would have been so tied up with getting the instrument, I would have missed that shot."

Nice work.

thanks david - i literally was in/out in about 10 seconds.. first having dropped a buck in his er-hu case. this is the kind of shot i really dig, and i'm so pleased it hit you the way i intended it to... thanks very much for your feedback!
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Top shot andy, great lines, composition, and movement too clap.gif
    14176457-S.jpg
    The others aren't bad either mwink.gif
  • Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    14176457-S.jpg
    I 2nd this!
    -Mike
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Love the first one...
    edited January 14, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I've always loved a shot that leads me down a canyon made of
    high-rise buildings towards the water.

SFO is a great city for just such a shot.

Ian

ian, thanks for looking!
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    I love em all but this is my fav.. keeps you looking for ages.. the instrument.. his face the wall the case..thanks for sharing..
    14176458-S.jpg
    edited January 14, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    14176457-S.jpg

thanks gubbs. yeah, funny thing: this was the first shot of the day, and i had the feeling that it was going to be my favorite, as soon as i shot it. i really like the symmetry, and the three cooperative subjects :D

thanks mate
    edited January 15, 2005
    I 2nd this!

thanks so much, michael!

:D
  • Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    14176453-L.jpg

Andy,

I really enjoy the angle of this shot. How do you decide when, where, and how much to angle the camera when going for a shot like this.

In other words why'd you angle this one.

I admire your street work. I dont know that I have the courage to take pics of strangers, esp. head on like this where they are aware that your taking there picture. Any tips?

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    luv yr street shots
    hi andy

particularly like # one and #two- the chinese woman has obviously responded well to your approach.

greg
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Fanatastic shots Andy! Especially the B&W symmetrical one - how much did you pay the bystandards to line up like that? :lol

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Incredible shot Andy, looks like a contest winner to me, submitted to Kodak yet?

Ed
    andy wrote:
    got to meet up with good friend and fine photographer, steve cavigliano this afternoon in san francisco's chinatown. it was a terrible day weather and light-wise, but we made the best of it. i've been at it really hard for the past few weeks and i thoroughly enjoyed being in my element, street shooting.

here are a three from the day's take

14176457-Ti.jpg

enjoy (street) photography,
  • SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    Incredible shot Andy, looks like a contest winner to me, submitted to Kodak yet?

Ed

My idea! thumb.gif
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    I've been in and out of this thread several times to look at the photos. 2 and 3 are very nice, typical angles and very appealing.
    But the first one bowdown.gif is AWESOME the lines, the composition of movement by the people, the nice and contrasty B/W... wow! I just have to make a comment though mwink.gif the car on the right.. the piece of car... I could have done without it for symmetry :D just nitpicking on ya
    Great photos Andy, thanks for sharing!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • CMasterCMaster Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    andy wrote:
    14176457-L.jpg

Man Andy, your shots are always so impressive to me. I love that first shot, I love the motion, yet his left shoe is in focus. I just love that shot! Great job as usual!

bowdown.gif
    -- Paul (pmack.smugmug.com)
    edited January 17, 2005
    I've been in and out of this thread several times to look at the photos. 2 and 3 are very nice, typical angles and very appealing.
    But the first one bowdown.gif is AWESOME the lines, the composition of movement by the people, the nice and contrasty B/W... wow! I just have to make a comment though mwink.gif the car on the right.. the piece of car... I could have done without it for symmetry :D just nitpicking on ya

yah michiel, the first edit that i did here, i did on my laptop... definitely will take the car out in the final version :D

thanks!
    edited January 17, 2005
    without the car

... how's this, michiel?

14367787-L.jpg
    edited January 17, 2005
    Ah mon ami! That's it! you have robbed of things to nitpick about thumb.gif
    Perhaps a suggestion, this is besides this result, so see it as another interpretation. Perhaps it would be cool to add some grain and create a duotone layer (sepia brownish with medium heavy blue) and put it as an overlay on the original. I'm very curious as to how it would turn out. (healthy curiosity, no more nitpicking mwink.gif)
    Thanks for sharing the new edit!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    edited January 17, 2005
    michiel,

thanks. it's already got a 9% luminosity tone of chocolate, i'll try a x-tone with the steel blue... here:

14370302-L.jpg
  • BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    andy wrote:
    thanks. it's already got a 9% luminosity tone of chocolate, i'll try a x-tone with the steel blue... here:

14370302-L.jpg
    How did you do that? You did not crop it, there are more flag poles than in the original (in front of the building on the right)

Clone stamp out the car? When ever I clone stamp out, it looks like I Clone Stomped out :-) There is a slight disturbance on the crosswalk white line, but that could be a poor job in road repair as much as your edit.

Fine job!
    edited January 17, 2005
    Bryan wrote:
    How did you do that? You did not crop it, there are more flag poles than in the original (in front of the building on the right)

Clone stamp out the car? When ever I clone stamp out, it looks like I Clone Stomped out :-) There is a slight disturbance on the crosswalk white line, but that could be a poor job in road repair as much as your edit.

Fine job!

actually, the first edit is a crop from the full-frame... 800x600 px. the second edit is the full frame, it's 800x533px. thanks for the kind words!

first edit:

14176457-L.jpg

second edit:

14370302-L.jpg
  • ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Andy I think you have exceeded your awesome photo quota.deal.gif As per Dgrin 5.67 subsection C.

Nice work as always thumb.gif

Tim
    edited January 18, 2005
    Cool
    I've been playing with it myself to roughen it up a bit, but it didn't work :D
    Cheers 1drink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    edited January 18, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    Andy I think you have exceeded your awesome photo quota.deal.gif As per Dgrin 5.67 subsection C.

Nice work as always thumb.gif

Tim

thanks shakey, for the kind words rolleyes1.gif
  • obelixobelix Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Nice shots Andy, had I known you were there, I would have driven to meet you :(, I go there every second saturday.
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Woah!
    Hey Andy,

as much as I like your B&W stuff (first photo is *mint* as you'd probably say), I really enjoyed your approach to color here... Like the reds on the chinese lady portrait, they're very eye-drawing! :-)

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
    edited January 23, 2005
    obelix wrote:
    Nice shots Andy, had I known you were there, I would have driven to meet you :(, I go there every second saturday.

:D some other time, obelix, and thanks for commenting! wave.gif
    edited February 2, 2005
    cmaster ...
    CMaster wrote:
    Man Andy, your shots are always so impressive to me. I love that first shot, I love the motion, yet his left shoe is in focus. I just love that shot! Great job as usual!

bowdown.gif

thank you so very much for commenting and looking!