Street shooting with Andy

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited February 3, 2005 in Landscapes
Hello all,
Well, Andy and I have been planning this shoot for a few weeks and we were really hopeful, after a gorgrous day Wednesday, that we'd have decent light Today. It was not to be :cry No Sun at all, overcast and flat ugly light. So there went any idea of shooting bridges or any other landscapes. So we decided to street shoot in Chinatown. We had a good time, as usual :wink We wound up eating at the wharf. Here's a few, hopefully different ones (since Andy posted all the good ones first......lol)

This girl was working with the one Andy posted. This one was shy....lol

14180500-L.jpg

This young girl was sketching the gamblers in the park
14180641-L.jpg

What gamblers, you ask?
14177930-L.jpg

We checked out the crabs and chowder, at Fisherman's Wharf, before going to dinner. As always, it's all about the food :rofl
14181521-L.jpg
14180844-L.jpg

Andy is really good at street shooting. It's not exactly my forte. I may not even have a forte :lol Be that as it may, and despite it being it cold and overcast, we managed to have a good time and come back with a few keepers.

Thanks for looking,
Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Nice shots Steve, this lot look like they mean business!!

14177930-S.jpg

14181521-S.jpg
    was this dinner??
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    nice work, steve. really like the crab guy, hey that onboard flash is quite good for fill like that,eh what?

i'm working on my gamblers shots.. thinking about a triptych :D

cheers, see you again in february.

i'm going back to ny on the redeye tonight, i'm bushed. i hope to be asleep before takeoff.....
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 14, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Nice shots Steve, this lot look like they mean business!!
    was this dinner??
    Thanks Gubbs thumb.gif Yeah, those gamblers looked so passionate, Andy was afraid to shoot them....lol J/K, but we did step lightly, as it were. There were maybe 50 people, in little groups doing some form of gambling. If they would have been less intent on their games and saw Andy and I shooting them, there could have been trouble :yikes Not to worry, besides being about 500lbs on the hoof, between us, I was ready to grab Andy's 1Ds Mk II and use the beast to fend off any comers :lol

As for the crab being dinner, it wasn't. Andy and I always go first cabin and so no eating at an outside counter for us mwink.gif We had a very nice and tasty sit down dinner at Castingola's beer.gif But, I did have crab.....and we had calamari and shrimp and scallops and....lol And you thought I/we were kidding about it always being about the food rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited January 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nice work, steve. really like the crab guy, hey that onboard flash is quite good for fill like that,eh what?

i'm working on my gamblers shots.. thinking about a triptych :D

cheers, see you again in february.

i'm going back to ny on the redeye tonight, i'm bushed. i hope to be asleep before takeoff.....
    Andy,
    I can't wait to see what you come up with on your gambler images thumb.gif Have a great flight home and did you notice that after the morning fog, and freezing temps, it's friggin bee-you-TIFF-full outside today :cry It figures....lol

One of the reasons I enjoy shooting with you so much (I mean besides the food...lol) is that I do learn quite abit each and everytime out. I know we don't trade tips and we usually go our own ways when shooting. But, when I see your results, of similar shots, that's when I learn. For example, your musician shot. I got a decent shot of him from the front and using a fill. But, the instrument doesn't stand out as well in mine (lesson learned, go for different and unique perspectives more often. Don't take the road of using the usual and easiest perspectives). Same with the shot where we were standing in the middle of California St looking down towards the Bay Bridge. I have an almost identical shot, but mine doesn't have people crossing the street (maybe because I crossed on the redlight....lol) and so it's nowhere near are meaningful/powerful as yours. But, I think my restaurant hawker came out better than yours.......lol

14180498-L.jpg

OK, so I cheated and used a fill. Speaking of which, I agree with your earlier comment. The internal flash is killer as a fill (especially if set to average flash metering :-) It worked better than I thought with the wharf shots too. I think I keep this neat little camera mwink.gif

Thanks for the fun and see ya in Feb,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Not too shabby Steve. I really liked the shot of the guy holding up the crab. Probably because the crab reminded me of Andy. rolleyes1.gif

I'm amazed that you got so many shots in. I figured you would have spent most of your time watching out for Andy.

Very nice pics. clap.gif

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited January 14, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Not too shabby Steve. I really liked the shot of the guy holding up the crab. Probably because the crab reminded me of Andy. rolleyes1.gif

I'm amazed that you got so many shots in. I figured you would have spent most of your time watching out for Andy.

Very nice pics. clap.gif

Harry
    Thanks Harry :-) Yeah, I think the jet lag from all this travling has caught up to the boy. He was having trouble seeing redlights :eek1 We had a couple of close calls that re-arranged out gear, that was stowed in back.....lol But, fortunately, the brakes in his rent-a-car were excellent.

There's one good thing about shooting in Chinatown with Andy. He's easy to watch out for and find in a crowd. Most everyone else was short with black hair, so our tall fair-haired boy stuck out like a sore thumb....lol

Thanks for looking Harry,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Thanks Harry :-) Yeah, I think the jet lag from all this travling has caught up to the boy. He was having trouble seeing redlights :eek1 We had a couple of close calls that re-arranged out gear, that was stowed in back.....lol But, fortunately, the brakes in his rent-a-car were excellent.

see you next week steve - and i've arranged extra insurance this time on my rental vehicle deal.gif
    edited February 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    see you next week steve - and i've arranged extra insurance this time on my rental vehicle deal.gif
    Laughing.gif Andy

Not to worry, my equipment is now insured for more than I am rolleyes1.gif

See ya Thursday thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero