no more forum shares?

mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
edited January 27, 2007 in SmugMug Support
How do I share images to a forum using the new interface? I mean, it seems extraordinarily kludgy to email myself the url for each image.

And how do I shut off the share feature, or make it only available to me? I'm interested in mailing url's for an entire gallery, but not individual pictures. Could the share stuff be moved there instead?

Thanks!

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    How do I share images to a forum using the new interface? I mean, it seems extraordinarily kludgy to email myself the url for each image.

And how do I shut off the share feature, or make it only available to me? I'm interested in mailing url's for an entire gallery, but not individual pictures. Could the share stuff be moved there instead?

Thanks!
    This is what I used.

#shareLink {display:none !important;}

.loggedIn #shareLink {display:block !important;}

Hope this helps
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    I was afraid of that, that I'd need to do some hackeration in order to make it work.

What's a quick pointer to a place where I can start to understand what you just said?

I'm not sure it's a good software practice (in fact, I'm pretty sure it's a bad software practice) to remove old features or make them very hard to get to without supplying some kind of obvious alternative route. Just sayin' that the ability to post URLs to images in forums shouldn't be so hard that I have to learn a new API to do it.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    I was afraid of that, that I'd need to do some hackeration in order to make it work.

What's a quick pointer to a place where I can start to understand what you just said?

I'm not sure it's a good software practice (in fact, I'm pretty sure it's a bad software practice) to remove old features or make them very hard to get to without supplying some kind of obvious alternative route. Just sayin' that the ability to post URLs to images in forums shouldn't be so hard that I have to learn a new API to do it.

The share button is right above your main photo :)

http://mmroden.smugmug.com/gallery/1579619#76457113

Our help page on this:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-sharing

Does this help?
    edited January 26, 2007
    Hi Andy,

Ah!!!

Now I see my confusion. The email thing is new, and I wasn't expecting to click through another thing at the top.

Is there any way to swap the priorities there? Because, to me, the email share button is pretty useless, but the forum share is more useful. When I send emails to people, I send them the entire page, rather than an individual image for embedding.

Thanks!
    edited January 26, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    Is there any way to swap the priorities there? Because, to me, the email share button is pretty useless, but the forum share is more useful. When I send emails to people, I send them the entire page, rather than an individual image for embedding.

Thanks!
    No need. Just go back again, we'll remember your preference iloveyou.gif
    edited January 26, 2007
    Yep, just noticed that.

Pretty slick!

Thanks!
  • gblottergblotter Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    I just went through the same confusion, same routine regarding sharing photos to forums.

It ~should~ be self-evident to follow the new links for forum sharing, but for some reason the initial impression when viewing the sharing page is that email is the only option.

Without a visit to DigitalGrin, I'm not sure I would have figured it out.

Once you get it, of course you say "duhh" to yourself.

Perhaps a little more usability testing with the sharing page is merited. Just a suggestion.
    edited January 27, 2007
    gblotter wrote:
    I just went through the same confusion, same routine regarding sharing photos to forums.

It ~should~ be self-evident to follow the new links for forum sharing, but for some reason the initial impression when viewing the sharing page is that email is the only option.

Perhaps a little more usability testing with the sharing page is merited. Just a suggestion.
    Thanks Greg!
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    As ovious as it seems to find the forum links, I was still wondering where it went util I found this thread while wasting a perfectly good day undoing the SM *stuff* on my site. Also why can't we do css on pages like the forum share and control panel? slapping that puke green bs all over my site is just stupid, maybe you didn't get the point before, I DON'T WANT TO SEE THAT COLOR ANY WHERE ON MY SITE!!!!!!!!! NEVER EVER!!!!!!!!!! not for me and not for visitors. Why don't you have a single variable somewhere that I can change that color to something decent in ONE place?

A very POed customer
    gblotter wrote: