Painting with Light

mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
edited January 26, 2007 in Holy Macro
My first effort at combining long exposures in Elements. There are 5, four second shots combined together as 'lighten' layers. The streak is a mini-maglite with no top, two more layers reduce the saturation on the majority of the image and change the hue of the streak.

Hope you like it!

Matthew

Comments

• SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Yeah that's pretty cool...what is the object? headscratch.gif
  • mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    It's the technical end of a gramaphone. The needle that is resting on a record vibrates on the grooves and causes the membrane it's attached to (in the metal casing) to vibrate too. The vibrations go down a long tube (not shown in the image) and out through the soundbox. It's portable, too so predates your iPod by about 80 years!
  • limey-glimey-g Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Very interesting shot and dare I say that I used one of those as a kid.
    The turntable was clockwork driven but hey, at least it still worked without hydro.
    As to volume control we stuffed a rag up the horn to muffle some of the sound.
    Brings back happy memories.
    Geoff
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Wow i thought it is laser cutting something
    very cool loved it
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Thanks both for the comments. The player still works, there's a crank handle that screws into the front to wind the motor. The record in the image is 'Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer'!

Matthew
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    mwalters wrote:
    My first effort at combining long exposures in Elements. There are 5, four second shots combined together as 'lighten' layers. The streak is a mini-maglite with no top, two more layers reduce the saturation on the majority of the image and change the hue of the streak.

Hope you like it!
    Matthew

Wow that makes the light look like a laser clap.gif very cool shot ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin