Options

Jerry Garcia

FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited January 27, 2007 in People
...died more than ten years ago, but the memories remain. I photographed the Dead for a couple fan magazines, by agreement the photos cannot be sold except to the magazines I photographed for, however I can share the photographs for free. Hope there are some old hippies on the forum that might get a few moments of pleasure from my files. Negatives were scanned on my nikon coolscan. Haven't used my film cameras for years, shoot mostly fish now....use D-100, D-200. 125389613-L.jpg

125428529-L.jpg

125390033-L.jpg

125572008-L.jpg

125571667-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 26, 2007
    neat shots-

david grisman on the mandolin-
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Jerry Garcia? Ok he looks like Santa Claus. :D
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Wow these are truly special. Do you remember which shows/venues each one was taken? The last one is great...the wind's blowing nicely...you can almost hear the mandolin !!!

I really miss seeing Jerry live. Phil Lesh's band is ok....it just ain't the same.

any pics of Trey by chance? I miss seeing them too!!! :cry
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    upstatesnapshotupstatesnapshot Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Great pics man...thanks for sharing! Seen the dead about 50+ times....
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    ummm Who's That?
    headscratch.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 26, 2007
    ummm Who's That?
    headscratch.gif
    ding ding ding, the "I'm so obviously under 20" award goes to... lol3.gif

It's a good thing Jerry could play the hell out of a guitar, because he certainly wasn't a snappy dresser!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited January 26, 2007
    One more shot
    ....probably my favorite from thousands.... being the "leader of the band" clearly weighed on the man.......well the drugs too I guess...

125586813-L.jpg
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif I wish that was the case..... I'm 34.98 and I must have just missed the Jerry trend.

I was in the Motley Crew and Areosmith stuff mwink.gif

DoctorIt wrote:
    ding ding ding, the "I'm so obviously under 20" award goes to... lol3.gif

It's a good thing Jerry could play the hell out of a guitar, because he certainly wasn't a snappy dresser!
  • Options
    cloveclove Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Those shots are awesome! The news of Jerry's death is one of those moments where you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you hear the news. I told people in my office after I heard it on the radio, and a few people broke down into tears.

I wasn't a huge fan, but I had a good friend who followed the dead all over the country and I had a chance to go to one of the shows. I had never seen a community of music fans as dedicated to their band as the deadheads were.
    shawn c
    cloverphoto.smugmug.com
    www.cloverphoto.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 26, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif I wish that was the case..... I'm 34.98 and I must have just missed the Jerry trend.
    Wow, my bad. I've never been really into the Dead either, but I always picture Jerry Garcia as one of those icons that just about everyone who knows a lick about pop culture has heard of. ne_nau.gif

I'm with ya: Girls girls girls!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    edited January 26, 2007
    Those dudes are old and that was 10 years ago :)

Very nice shots. Very nice.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Wow these are truly special. Do you remember which shows/venues each one was taken?

Aw,c'mon! rolleyes1.gif If he is truly a Deadhead, he can recite the set lists for each show and the song being played when he took them. wings.gifwings.gif

Great pix Fishead! Jerry IS Dead, Long Live Jerry! bowdown.gif

Mama mama many worlds I've come since I first left home!
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2007
    jd.....some of my friends had memories that seemed to be locked on the details of a show....not me, after the end of the show i'd be hard pressed to give a set list, though I could name the first three songs as they were always the permitted time in the "pit" for photogs. They were some wonderful times especially the early seventys when the whole aud would be in a like mindset.....
    This photo was from the very last show Jerry played, Soldier Field 1995, Jerry looked like hell but still had some good licks left. As Eric Clapton said "garcia was the greatest guitar player he ever knew"....couldn't agree more.

125386416-L.jpg