PSE 5 and SmugMug

MadmikeyMadmikey Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 26, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I like the SmugMug interface in PSE 5 but I am confused. It appeared that PSE 5 was creating JPG's then uploading them to SmugMug. The file sizes were small and I wanted better originals when/if making prints and the EXIF data was missing. I shoot in NEF and I saw no way to control the JPG size/quality for the SmugMug upload. So I thought I would just process them manually as before and upload with StarExplorer. When I went to delete the photos on SmugMug using the batch photo delete option it listed all the images with a .NEF extension.

So my questions are:
1. Does the SmugMug interface in PSE 5 actually upload the NEF files?
2. If they are uploaded in NEF does SmugMug then use the NEF files for making prints?
3. If I lose my local files and order a backup from SmugMug do I get my NEF files?
4. If it's not uploading the NEF files is there a way to control size/quality in PSE 5 SmugMug upload tool?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Madmikey wrote:
    I like the SmugMug interface in PSE 5 but I am confused. It appeared that PSE 5 was creating JPG's then uploading them to SmugMug. The file sizes were small and I wanted better originals when/if making prints and the EXIF data was missing. I shoot in NEF and I saw no way to control the JPG size/quality for the SmugMug upload. So I thought I would just process them manually as before and upload with StarExplorer. When I went to delete the photos on SmugMug using the batch photo delete option it listed all the images with a .NEF extension.

So my questions are:
    1. Does the SmugMug interface in PSE 5 actually upload the NEF files?
    2. If they are uploaded in NEF does SmugMug then use the NEF files for making prints?
    3. If I lose my local files and order a backup from SmugMug do I get my NEF files?
    4. If it's not uploading the NEF files is there a way to control size/quality in PSE 5 SmugMug upload tool?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike
    we don't support nef files. Don't know what happened on your end - check your pse5 file saving preferences, options, use JPG.
  • MadmikeyMadmikey Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    we don't support nef files. Don't know what happened on your end - check your pse5 file saving preferences, options, use JPG.
    Andy,

Thanks for the quick response. I see no options for size/quality that affect the files uploaded to SmugMug in PSE5. They end up about 300kb - 500 kb and normally I do max quality which is usually around 3Mb - 5Mb. The files I'm uploading are NEF files from a Nikon D70. PSE5 is creating the JPG's automatically without asking for any preferences, yet when bulk deleting the photos on SmugMug they show a .NEF exteinsion, hence the question about NEF files.

Maybe I'm missing something but I dont' see anywhere to set the JPG quality/size in the PSE5 SmugMug upload feature??

Thanks for you time,

Mike
  • renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Madmikey wrote:
    Andy,
    Maybe I'm missing something but I dont' see anywhere to set the JPG quality/size in the PSE5 SmugMug upload feature??

Thanks for you time,

Mike

From what I know, if you are just uploading from the nef and letting PSE5 handle the jpeg conversion, you might be able to control the quality by using the autosmartfix first, before uploading.

Try selecting all of your nefs, right click and run the autosmartfix.
    Then it should ask you to pick a type, and maybe a quality ( i dont remember) but choose jpeg. This will maintain the pixel dimensions and convert to jpeg, with some other auto processing. It will also add the jpegs to a version set. Then you can select the jpegs (they will be the top images in the version set) and send those to smugmug. That should have the correct jpeg extension.

There are other bugs in the PSE5->SmugMug solution too, so I would be surprised about this file name thing. For instance, the geographic data is not uploaded to smugmug, which kinda sucks, cause it would be nice to geotag images before uploading instead of after, and especially all in one program for the non-computer people out there.

-r
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    renstar wrote:
    There are other bugs in the PSE5->SmugMug solution too, so I would be surprised about this file name thing. For instance, the geographic data
    Not a bug, as it was never in the spec.
  • renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Not a bug, as it was never in the spec.

Sorry, still a bug. When software doesn't behave how the user would intuitively expect, it is a bug. It is a bug in the spec, but it is still a bug. This is why Use Cases and such exist in software design, to iron out bugs in the specification.

I'm not saying it is on your end, I'm just saying it is a bug. Adobe should write the geographic info to the exif (or iptc, but i dont recall if there is a field for that) so external sources can use that data. Then SM would have no problem displaying it.

-r