Portrait - Big and Bigger

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited January 27, 2007 in Technique
Looking for your advice and opinions.

I have an engagement shoot very soon that consist of a large lady I'm guessing 250-275 lbs. To make it even more difficult the male partner is 350-375 lbs (guessing again). Either way they are a large couple. Very nice people and their personalities are wonderful so I think the shoot will be an easy one, however, I'm looking for advise on how to position them that will make nice engagement photos for a couple that size.

We are shooting at a local plantation. We'll have inside and outside to shoot.

Ideas?

Comments

• StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    I had a similar shoot except the groom was a pencil!
    Some of your best shots are going to be details.
    Close ups of them kissing, holding hands, the rings, headshots.
    Big people know they are big and also know you can't make them into fashion models. So don't try. Capture the love and expression between the two.
    Don't do any seated photos.
    Use hiding them behind things sparingly, if at all.
    Remember the weight on the back foot trick from Mark also.
    Don't shoot either of them square on.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Try to avoid showing any double chin...have them look up at you a bit to lengthen the neck. If necessary, remind them to lift their chin just a bit.
    I agree...sitting/squating positions may not be as flattering, unless you're in close for a head shot. And I agree...square on isn't so great, but neither are complete profile shots.
    Take a good variety though, so it doesn't look like you're trying to cover them up or crop them out. It may surprise you what they end up liking! Afterall, they know what they look like, so they probaby expect some of the "normal" engagement type shots.
    Some shots with them as a small part of their surroundings may be nice (such as holding hands and walking down a tree lined road or something).

All the best!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Try to avoid showing any double chin...have them look up at you a bit to lengthen the neck. If necessary, remind them to lift their chin just a bit.
    I agree...sitting/squating positions may not be as flattering, unless you're in close for a head shot. And I agree...square on isn't so great, but neither are complete profile shots.
    Take a good variety though, so it doesn't look like you're trying to cover them up or crop them out. It may surprise you what they end up liking! Afterall, they know what they look like, so they probaby expect some of the "normal" engagement type shots.
    Some shots with them as a small part of their surroundings may be nice (such as holding hands and walking down a tree lined road or something).

All the best!

Elaine
    Good advice Elaine

Scott, take a ladder! Try to mix in a fews shots from a higher perspective.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • hysonhyson Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Might be a long shot, buuuuut, I know my Pentax has a "slim" filter that can very dramatically, or very slightly, alter the JPEG file right on the camera.

I haven't used it to really say if it works or not. I'm not trying to be silly, either. I'm guessing that that is what the filter is for? ne_nau.gif

Might be worth looking into on your camera...

:thwak
    Pentax *ist DL | Sony Cybershot DSC-S60
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    there was a thread a while ago that addressed this and a very gracious but admittedly overweight photographer chimed in with some very useful advise. I searched and found the link: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=39639&highlight=weight+people+portraits

hope this helps and good luck.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Some great tips in this thread. I also was going to suggest a ladder/stepstool or shooting from a higher vantage point. Hope you post your results if possible and share your results. :D