Here are my first HDR attempts.

ButterNutzButterNutz Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited February 1, 2007 in Holy Macro
Over the last few days ive been trying to take some HDR shots, thease are a few of my favories. Please tell me what you think of the tecninque applied, and help me pick my best attempt.

1.) 3 seperate exposures, generated in Photomatix
:thumbButterNutz!!!:thumb

Comments

• ButterNutzButterNutz Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    2.) Heres the B/W conversion of #1.
    edited January 26, 2007
    3.) 8 different exposures generated in Photomatix, Tone Mapping done in CS2.
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    I think #1 and #2 are great. The B&W conversion may be too dark for some, but I think in this case it adds to the eeriness of the image.
    edited January 26, 2007
    Thank you Rogers I ageree I tryed to make the B/W conversion as dark as possible to add that dark effect thanks for lookin!
    More to come!
    Barry
    edited January 26, 2007
    4.) 3 shots of the clouds merged to HDR using Photomatix with Tone Mapping and a bit of PS to boot.
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    edited January 26, 2007
    5.) This is 3 diffrent shots merged, and Tone Mapped again with Photomatix.
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Barry....love the 1st one! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Guess this is another road in photography I'll hafta go down!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
    edited January 26, 2007
    6.) This one was done by taking 1 15 sec exposure, i duplicated it 6 times in PS, ajusted the exposure by +/- 0.5 increments. Merged to HDR , and ToneMapped in Photomatix. My first try at a single shot HDR.
    edited January 26, 2007
    7.) Ok here it is the one you've all been waiting to see.
    This is my fisrt attempt at a 24 shot HDR. I shot 24 differnt exposures of the same shot using my 20D a tripod and exposure bracketing. The only problem was the clouds were moving so fast that day, i kinda got some tracers.

Anywho HDR is relativly easy and really fun to try, I am going to keep practicing the technique, and continue to post my results.
    Thanks for peepin, and Good Luck!
    Barry.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    eek7.gif Wonderful work i loved them all
    Hdr is really fun finding subjects to do it rolleyes1.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • BrucekBrucek Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2007
    I thinkthe photo's are fantastic , but could you explain to a Newbie , what HDR stands for ?
  • mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    #2 and #4 do it for me. #2 looks straight out of a Hitchcock movie. Am I the only one that can see an outline of a very large bird formed from the clouds in the middle 3rd of #4?

Matthew
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Brucek wrote:
    I thinkthe photo's are fantastic , but could you explain to a Newbie , what HDR stands for ?

High Dynamic Range
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    ButterNutz wrote:
    Over the last few days ive been trying to take some HDR shots, thease are a few of my favories. Please tell me what you think of the tecninque applied, and help me pick my best attempt.

1.) 3 seperate exposures, generated in Photomatix

I love the First one clap.gifclap.gif this has lots of depth to it, love the colours.
    The others look great too ... Very nicely done indeed :D ...... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    You're rocking the HDR world with these shots. Superb work.
    Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/
  • Deano955Deano955 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    attachment.php?attachmentid=17023&stc=1&d=1169836835

I really like this shot.

Help a noob out here, what is "HDR" ?
    Baldy owns my free time
    smugmug coupon 1qoLJk8tfsGWM
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Deano955 wrote:

Help a noob out here, what is "HDR" ?
    High Dynamic Range.

Digital cameras cannot capture the same range of light as film that's used to make prints. In other words, at similar camera settings, film will not be over- or under-exposed, but a digital camera may have either blown-out highlights or too-dark lowlights.

A new way to compensate, is for the digital photographer to take the same shot using multiple exposures levels, thus safely capturing the entire range of light. He then uses specialized software to merge the shots. Ideally, the software selects the correct exposure for each portion of the image. Obviously, a tripod is pretty much manadatory, so that the images all line-up.

ButterNutz has done some very nice work here. Not everyone is so skilled. In this thread, I have a link showing how awful I think HDR can look.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • corbosmancorbosman Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    What software do people generally use for HDR? CS2?

Cor
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    #1, #2, and the last one. Outstanding. Outstanding. Thanks for posting!

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 27, 2007
    corbosman wrote:
    What software do people generally use for HDR? CS2?

Cor

photomatix is the one I see mentioned-

http://www.hdrsoft.com/index.html
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 27, 2007
    butternutz-

some very neat photos-
  • CBC1260CBC1260 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Very nice.
  • Deano955Deano955 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    High Dynamic Range.

Digital cameras cannot capture the same range of light as film that's used to make prints. In other words, at similar camera settings, film will not be over- or under-exposed, but a digital camera may have either blown-out highlights or too-dark lowlights.

A new way to compensate, is for the digital photographer to take the same shot using multiple exposures levels, thus safely capturing the entire range of light. He then uses specialized software to merge the shots. Ideally, the software selects the correct exposure for each portion of the image. Obviously, a tripod is pretty much manadatory, so that the images all line-up.

ButterNutz has done some very nice work here. Not everyone is so skilled. In this thread, I have a link showing how awful I think HDR can look.

Thanks man. I really do like the technique BN used. I've seen other images with similar light and color saturation and had wondered how the photographer accomplished it. Now I have a pretty good idea how it's done.
    Baldy owns my free time
    smugmug coupon 1qoLJk8tfsGWM
    edited January 27, 2007
    Thanks very much everyone for the nice words and comments, and a special thanks to mxwax for doing some explaining for me.
    This was my first attempt at HDR but it certainly wont be my last, I think it can add a really cool look to certain images, but if used in the wrong way it can take away from a otherwise good shot.
    I learned all the techniques applied online, if you care to learn more about HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE, check out the canon online forums and search for HDR.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Keeps It Real
    Barry
    edited February 1, 2007
    ButterNutz wrote:
    Thanks very much everyone for the nice words and comments, and a special thanks to mxwax for doing some explaining for me.
    This was my first attempt at HDR but it certainly wont be my last, I think it can add a really cool look to certain images, but if used in the wrong way it can take away from a otherwise good shot.
    I learned all the techniques applied online, if you care to learn more about HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE, check out the canon online forums and search for HDR.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Keeps It Real
    Barry

Barry is it just me or is the NO SEARCH Function on that forum???
    Cause I can't see one ne_nau.gif ... Skippy

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited February 1, 2007
    I just tryed the link i posted and it worked. When your at the main page there is a search tab at the top of the screen. When i checked it out i just typed HDR and a whole bunch of posts came up, and if i remember correctly some of them had some good information to get me started. Some of posts also had links to additional information.

Other than that my best suggestion to get you started at shooting HDR's is to take out your tripod, turn your camera to RAW, set up your bracketing to your desired exposures, turn your camera to drive mode, and start shooting.
    Try to experiment with different exposures, and different amount of shots taken. When you have a full memory card go home and start merging them together using Photomatix, make sure when doing so you check the box that says align images. When your cpu is done merging the files use the tonemapping feature, use the filter as desired, than save.
    Open in photoshop, do any last minute PPing and BAM...your done!

Hope that helped you out

Regards Barry
    edited February 1, 2007
    ButterNutz wrote:
    I just tryed the link i posted and it worked. When your at the main page there is a search tab at the top of the screen. When i checked it out i just typed HDR and a whole bunch of posts came up, and if i remember correctly some of them had some good information to get me started. Some of posts also had links to additional information.

Other than that my best suggestion to get you started at shooting HDR's is to take out your tripod, turn your camera to RAW, set up your bracketing to your desired exposures, turn your camera to drive mode, and start shooting.
    Try to experiment with different exposures, and different amount of shots taken. When you have a full memory card go home and start merging them together using Photomatix, make sure when doing so you check the box that says align images. When your cpu is done merging the files use the tonemapping feature, use the filter as desired, than save.
    Open in photoshop, do any last minute PPing and BAM...your done!

Hope that helped you out

Regards Barry

Thanks I see what the problem is, you have to registered :D .. Skippy

NOTE THAT SOME FORUMS AND FEATURES ARE COMPLETELY HIDDEN FROM UNREGISTERED USERS. This guest welcome message also disappears after you log in.