Options

DGrin First Timer, C&C please. (warning... implied sensuality)

gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
edited January 27, 2007 in People
Hello everyone, I've been lurking the dgrin forums for a while and decided to finally participate. I'm a member of other photography boards and noticed these forums to be the most friendly which is saying a lot.

I just picked up some studio lighting (2 AB800s) and have been putting in some practice with my wife of 2 months as my willing patsy.... errr model :)

I usually shoot available light and modifiers and found how much fun and a challenge it is to use studio strobes, and the differences are miles apart. I can do things in PS with studio shots that doesn't work with available light shots.

I would love to know what you guys think of these shots in terms of technicality, processing and the likes. And if anyone's interested I can share some of my post techniques as well.

73581378.jpg

73581379.jpg

73581381.jpg

Thanks in advance....

Alex
http://www.reverbphotography.com
Nikon D300
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
2 Alien Bees AB800
Nikon Speedlight SB800
Elinchrome Skyport Triggers

Comments

• Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Tastefully done...you have a very pretty wife...and the poses are very sexy. Good job. Wonder if I can get my husband to do this? headscratch.gif . Hummm might not get the same results. rolleyes1.gif

Good jobthumb.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 26, 2007
    great pics-

and your wife is very pretty-

yes, please give some outline of your processing-

glad you're here-
  • Options
    PellidonPellidon Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2007
    #1. A little seperation of her hair from the inky black background if it is not there in your prints. Her hair disappears on my monitor.

#2. That is a good composition but did you shoot one with her face turned a little more to the camera? Not that is would be better but different. Although this one has a little mystery with only a hint of the face turning to the camera eventually.

#3. I can't comment on anything that would improve it. It looks fine as is.

Otherwise very good.
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Thanks for the great comments you guys and gals. I'm sure my wife would appreciate it. I wish I had a hairlight, I'm thinking of picking up a 3rd Alien Bee strobe (AB400) as a background/hairlight.

I can write up a tutorial on my portrait/glamour workflow if anyone's interested. I've learned a few tricks here and there.
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    your wife's eyes have come up absolutely beautifully in number three.

nice work
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Great shots and very attractive wife! Nicely done and thanks for sharing.

I prefer the second and third poses, but all are nice shots.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    andycatandycat Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    All great,The face in the last one is really nice.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    I think these are wonderful
    gmonkeh wrote:
    Thanks for the great comments you guys and gals. I'm sure my wife would appreciate it. I wish I had a hairlight, I'm thinking of picking up a 3rd Alien Bee strobe (AB400) as a background/hairlight.

I can write up a tutorial on my portrait/glamour workflow if anyone's interested. I've learned a few tricks here and there.

Yes, it would be great if you did a write up.....you can also pm me with it too if you don't get around to a formal post. I've been looking at the alien bees and portraiture is probably the most challenging/rewarding there is. I've been reading like a madmad and experimenting. Any tricks are greatly appreciated. Stunning.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    jmandomanjmandoman Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    I think we'd all be interested in how you do it.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Great shots. I like #2 & #3 a lot. Eyes in # 3 are very good, DOF is good and it is tastefeul but...enticing?

A real small nit on #2 (and I do mean real small) is I would like to see a little more of teh right side shoe/heel. It all blends together in that corner and the detail would be nice.

Nice job, keep posting. And I agree this is a great board because of the civility and good humor of the participants. Easy interface too! clap.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac