How to obtain some sort of Photographers ID - Press Pass type of thing

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited January 27, 2007 in Sports
So I have been working with my loacal school district trying to be allowyed to photograph the school sporting events and having access to the floor and fields. Can be kind of tough now days just due to student privacy issues and parents - BUT I have been given the OK to shot at the school.
I asked about getting some sort of school ID to avoid any potential issues at the events and the Athletic Director said if I had any sort of press pass that would be ok to use (obviously I don't have one) and if not he could see about getting something from the school. Well I really do not want to makde the school or AD do anymore work for me tha necessary to avoid any downsided feeling toward me and what I am doing.

Question, does anyone know how or where I may be able to obtain some sort of Photographers ID? Doesn't really need to be an official press pass, just something to help with ID at the school events. I could make something up in PSP and have it lamanated, but I really want to have something that will look more professional.

Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Well, to get a press ID you need to be a member of the press - which means working for an legitimate news agency, which you currently are not.If you think having a fake ID will make you look more professional then do it. But, IMO, that will just make you look silly. You have the approval of the AD and you're shooting for the school - that really is enough. If you act professional and stay out of the way, that's all that counts. A fake press pass will just make people snicker behind your back.I'd also recommend talking to the coaches ahead of time - at school before an event preferably. Explain you are taking photos for the school and will be at events doing so with the AD's permission. That way if an official questions you the coach can help your case.
  • pahlpahl Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    johng that sounds like great advice.
    http://pahl.smugmug.com

Pentax istDL
    50mm-f/1.4
    10-17mm fish-eye
    18-55mm kit lens
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
  • Mac SwensonMac Swenson Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    I carry a signed letter from the AD at the local school that I shoot. But getting to know the coaches helps way more than that. Most places wont give you a problem if you say you are with/shooting for the team, but if they do, a letter helps a ton. At bigger facilities there can be more problems as there are more people who think they have power, and inevitably, there will be a few of them who want to make your assignment difficult.