New features - 1/13/2005

onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
edited January 19, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Got some new features rolled out last night. Here you go:

- Keywords are now fully live and functional. You can see them on your homepage, your viewers can too. Pros have the Keywords section auto-hidden so as not to destroy their professional site. They can unhide with a single click and let their users browse their words.

- The Bulk Caption tool has been updated with some nifty tools to help you easily add/remove/change keywords. It's pretty powerful. Use 'preview' to make sure you have the right words, then 'save' to update them.

- Family Edit & Friends Edit. This actually went live last week, but forgot to mention it. On a per-album basis, you can allow your Friends or Family to edit your captions & keywords. That's all. They can, for example, add their own names to the captions and keywords on a family vacation. They default to off.

- Bulk Move tool has been updated, it'll allow you to pre-sort by various criteria before moving. Additionally, you can now select multiple photos and move them at once.

- Gallery Templates. You can save the settings in a specific gallery for future use on other new galleries or application to existing ones. Simply name it on the "gallery settings" page and then you can easily apply it as you'd like. Remember, template are simply to copy settings over, they don't actually "tie down" a gallery to a template. You can edit the gallery settings independently later to your hearts content, it won't change or update the template. Save as many templates as you wish.

I'm sure there's more, but that's a good start. Enjoy!

Don

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    I just spent many minutes going thru and adding keywords and they work great.clap.gifclapclap.gif Super neat!

I did notice I had a couple versions of the same keyword (i.e. bird & birds). It was easy to edit by selecting the miss-named keyword and doing a bulk captions change. The keyword list was then cleared of the old one right away.

Now if there was some way to add a separate keywords listing under a ShareGroup that contain only private galleries.:cry ... and I might win the lottery.rolleyes1.gifSame odds, huh?

Love this site.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    If I save a galleries settings a template, does that save the stuff under "essentials," "extras," or options? I'm hoping you say just options, or even better (though I think this is the case only for me) options and extras.
    Richard
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Having troubles with the bulk edit captions. When I hit the preview button I get an error on page message.

Details are

Line: 198
    Char: 17
    Error: Object dosen't support this property or method
    Code: 0
    URL: http://ehughes.smugmug.com/photos/tools.mg?
    ImageID=1287782&tool=bulkcaption

Any Ideas? Something with my browser?

Ed

• savannahgasavannahga Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Great additions, I believe you or Baldy mentioned awhile back "Gallery Skins" may be an option in the future. Is that still a possible future addition?

Thanks
    Jeff
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    How on earth did I miss THIS post..???
    Nice! Appreciate your hard work!
    Now you don't have to use SE to have customizeable gallery settings:-)

Any ETAs on
    • apostrophe fix(es)?
    • brining API back to speed with all these new feautres(?)
    Not that I insist (I would not dare:-), I'm simply trying to plan ahead. We have an huge annual trade show coming in two weeks (NADA, New Orleans), so my "spare" time has already shrunk a lot and is gonna shrink a lot more for the next few weeks, hence I need to use it wisely..

Thanks for the great features and for the update!thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Need details ...
    Ed, what browsers and OS are you using? Also, can you give me a step by step of what you do before hitting preview (a gallery link would be great to). You can send to me directly via email too.

JT
    ehughes wrote:
    Having troubles with the bulk edit captions. When I hit the preview button I get an error on page message.

Details are

Line: 198
    Char: 17
    Error: Object dosen't support this property or method
    Code: 0
    URL: http://ehughes.smugmug.com/photos/tools.mg?
    ImageID=1287782&tool=bulkcaption

Any Ideas? Something with my browser?

Ed

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    I'm as technically ignorant as they come.

So this week I wander into my site looking for a shot, and I see all these keywords. At first, I'm irritated, 'cause it looks ugly. But it just so happens that I'm not quite sure where to find the shot I'm looking for.

I found it on the third keyword click. clap.gif So I'm now a convert and a fan! Nice work, guys. And thanks for not leaving any green smudge marks on my page. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    I just noticed the keyword feature tonight. I'll have to take some time to update and add my keywords. I also noticed that there is a default to some of my photos already, I assume they were taken from the title?

Anyway, some of my keywords appear in a larger font. What does the two different font size mean?

Thanks
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    The size of the keywords reflects how many of them there are. So if you have a lot that say Nikon - it will be larger than the one photo that just says Canon.

Also; this is mainly for Ed; the Bulk keyword/caption tool had a bug with IE on Windows - it is now fixed.
    NikonGirl wrote:
    I just noticed the keyword feature tonight. I'll have to take some time to update and add my keywords. I also noticed that there is a default to some of my photos already, I assume they were taken from the title?

Anyway, some of my keywords appear in a larger font. What does the two different font size mean?

Thanks
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    Sorry for being a pain in your assets, but:-)
    I haven't heard about the following resolutions:
    • apostrophes (') in descriptions - post via upload API returns errordeal.gif
    • Need API update (or at least some kind of ETA) for the new features (keywords, etc.)deal.gif
    Thanks!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"