Options

Natural light from a window

macmacmacmac Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited January 28, 2007 in People
I have a lot to learn about handling light! I was pretty happy with the way these turned out. Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated!

125623894-L.jpg

I like the next one best.
125623866-L.jpg
Joe

www.joemcdowellphotography.com
www.joemcdowellphotography.blogspot.com

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM

Comments

• Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Hi Joe,

She looks really enthusiastic :)

Maybe try to isolate a subject, like a vase on a table or something. These images are really busy, meaning there's a lot going on, and I'm not immediately drawn to the light itself, but rather the detail of the scene. So, maybe an endtable in the light with a flower petal on it, or something like that? But then again, I'm a minimalist kind of guy :)
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2007
    Looks great...no flash - just the lighting from the windows - great shot. My only nag is the side ways view...that was just a little distracting. Nonetheless...it's great. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Looks great...no flash - just the lighting from the windows - great shot. My only nag is the side ways view...that was just a little distracting. Nonetheless...it's great. thumb.gif

Thanks. I do wish I had shot some of the vase. I like the way it pops out in the light.
    Joe

Canon 30D, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF-S 10-20mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF 75-300mm 4-5.6 III USM
  • Options
    andycatandycat Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    I prefer coke,Pictures OK I like busy.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    I think you metered too much towards the window, which makes the subject underexposed. To have good results here you should either fill flash to act against all the light coming in from the left, or meter away from the window, so your subject gets more light...
    I probably would have opened the blinds, unless you wanted to have the shadow-light play on everything.
    The first picture is better because you metered in the room instead of towards the outside...
    (Lighting is one of my problems too, hard to balance that one out)
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    I think you metered too much towards the window, which makes the subject underexposed.

Metering further from the window would have made the window even brighter...I think. I was trying to strike a "balance" in the light and get the brightness of the moment.

To have good results here you should either fill flash to act against all the light coming in from the left,

A fill in flash would take out the shadowing and made it a more flat look. I need to learn about fill in flashing! Certainly full flash would have changed the picture a lot.

I probably would have opened the blinds, unless you wanted to have the shadow-light play on everything.

The shadow-light play is what I was after.

Thanks!!
    Joe

• Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    When I say meter from the window, I mean, stand next to the window and point your meter inside, away from the window into the room, or take a little bit of the brightness of the window to the left when you meter.
    That way you don't meter with the window in your parameters, which should you give a better reading for the subject that is close to the window, if you get my drift...
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    When I say meter from the window, I mean, stand next to the window and point your meter inside, away from the window into the room, or take a little bit of the brightness of the window to the left when you meter.
    That way you don't meter with the window in your parameters, which should you give a better reading for the subject that is close to the window, if you get my drift...

I do understand! I actually metered the curtain (somewhat shear) to the right of the picture. Kinda spliting the difference.
    Joe