Eggs, anyone?

FotoPhocusFotoPhocus Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited January 28, 2007 in Holy Macro
Here are some of my very first shots with my SB-600 flash. Any feedback is appreciated!

The_egg_by_collidgegraduit.jpg
Scrambled_eggs__anyone__by_collidgegraduit.jpg
Who_wants_breakfast__by_collidgegraduit.jpg
“You don't take a photograph, you make it.”
- Ansel Adams

Nikon D40
Nikon Coolpix P80

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    These are well composed.thumb.gif The shiney spot on the upper egg in the 2nd photo is distracting from the rest of that one.
  • FotoPhocusFotoPhocus Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    These are well composed.thumb.gif The shiney spot on the upper egg in the 2nd photo is distracting from the rest of that one.
    Thanks for the quick feedback. I did some fixing, and re-uploaded. The new one looks a lot better to me.
    - Ansel Adams

Nikon D40
    Nikon Coolpix P80
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    I like the first one a lot, very minimalistic, but pleasing for the eye. I would have put it a little bit more off center, but that is nitpicking.
    I like to look at this shot! A beautiful Egg...
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    very nice i loved 1st one
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    after adjusting my monitor (pc laptop) I agree: #1 is sweet. I also like the one with the cheese! Adds some colour (duh!). Great focus and depth of field throughout.

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    FotoPhocus wrote:
    Here are some of my very first shots with my SB-600 flash. Any feedback is appreciated!

I like all of them, even though the first shot has a bright spot at the top of the egg, I still like that one too :D

Just a thought here....... to me cheese should not come in plastic wrap,
    I think it would look nicer if cheese was a cut from a block.

I use that pre cut stuff too, but for a photo I would use cheese that was not wrapped in plastic.

I'm sure your going to be very happy with you new flash clap.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited January 27, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    cheese should not come in plastic wrap,
    I think it would look nicer if cheese was a cut from a block..

You know, afterwards my wife said "You didn't take the cheese out of the wrapper at least?"

Ah well, hindsight is 20/20 :)
    - Ansel Adams

Nikon D40
    Nikon Coolpix P80
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    You did a good job at capturing the texture of the egg. Nicely done!
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Very nice lighting and composition! Please share how you modified the SB600 (i.e., bounce, light box, umbrella, etc).
    edited January 28, 2007
    Tanuki wrote:
    Very nice lighting and composition! Please share how you modified the SB600 (i.e., bounce, light box, umbrella, etc).

I actually set up on the kitchen counter. I cleared off about a 3 foot area from the wall to the sink, and set the egg about a foot from the left wall, and a foot from the back wall (my kitchen walls are white).

The flash was in TTL mode, no modifications. The head was one click to the left, and one click up. I hope that info helps.

All the white in the kitchen really let me take advantage of bouncing the light, so I was able to get a nice DOF, and get the textures I wanted.
    - Ansel Adams

Nikon D40
    Nikon Coolpix P80
  • TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    FotoPhocus wrote:
    I actually set up on the kitchen counter. I cleared off about a 3 foot area from the wall to the sink, and set the egg about a foot from the left wall, and a foot from the back wall (my kitchen walls are white).

The flash was in TTL mode, no modifications. The head was one click to the left, and one click up. I hope that info helps.

All the white in the kitchen really let me take advantage of bouncing the light, so I was able to get a nice DOF, and get the textures I wanted.

Thanks for the info. Those white walls certainly did the trick. Your results look great! thumb.gif