General tips -- photographing a jazz/swing band

FotoPhocusFotoPhocus Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited January 31, 2007 in Technique
This Wednesday I am going to be doing some shots for a jazz band that I play in. Most of our shots are going to be in the lobby of the theatre we practice in, so it'll be dim lighting, dark carpet, and dark wood paneled walls.

I've got a Nikon d50, sb-600 flash, 18-55mm kit lens, and a 50mm f1.8 lens. Up until now, all of my photography has been outdoor nature photography. Anyone have some general tips for me? I'd like to have a good idea of what I'm doing going into it.

Thanks so much!
“You don't take a photograph, you make it.”
- Ansel Adams

Nikon D40
Nikon Coolpix P80

Comments

• FotoPhocusFotoPhocus Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    FotoPhocus wrote:
    This Wednesday I am going to be doing some shots for a jazz band that I play in. Most of our shots are going to be in the lobby of the theatre we practice in, so it'll be dim lighting, dark carpet, and dark wood paneled walls.

I've got a Nikon d50, sb-600 flash, 18-55mm kit lens, and a 50mm f1.8 lens. Up until now, all of my photography has been outdoor nature photography. Anyone have some general tips for me? I'd like to have a good idea of what I'm doing going into it.

Thanks so much!

Does anyone have some tips for me? I'm doing the photos this evening, and I'd like to go in with some knowledge, rather than trying a bunch of different things.
    “You don't take a photograph, you make it.”
    - Ansel Adams

Nikon D40
    Nikon Coolpix P80
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    There are a few threads on how to shoot bands and concerts, try a search. Most of them focus on available light shooting, however, not flash.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au