I need some help, really bad.

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited February 1, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
okay, well, as I have mentioned before, I now have my new MacBook Pro...but there's a small problem - NOT WITH THE COMPUTER, with the OPERATOR....

I burned all of my pictures to CDs before my last computer died...
well, they were burned on a PC of course and now I need to get them on my mac. when I open the CD folder, you can't see the actual picture thumbnail...how can that be fixed? also, I want save all of my pictures on the hard drive under pictures > ross frazier photography > then individual folders for subjects but the only way I can find to actually see the picture is to send them to iPhoto then look at them, but I can't find them on the HD once I put them in there, for some reason! so is there a way to see the actual thumbnail and to copy straight to a folder on the hard drive that I prespecify?

is there a third party program I'll have to download?

I appreciate the help!!!!

- RE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    there is a little application called Pic2Icon, you drag all the icons in the well, and it should give you thumbnails... http://www.sugarcubesoftware.com/
    You could probably find it via Version tracker for Mac. Their server seems to be down...
    You could also use iView Media Pro I believe, not too sure about that one.
    Or the free beta download of Lightroom 3 from Adobe.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13226
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    there we go...

I figured it out!

actually in the system preferences, "show a preview" means to give you a picture of the icon...

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    there we go...

I figured it out!

actually in the system preferences, "show a preview" means to give you a picture of the icon...

- RE

Where do you find that? I have been working with macs for twenty years and don't find this one... What application are you in to see the "show a preview" option?
    Oh, OK, found it too. You mean when you are in column view...
    Yes, but you can also give the docs an icon, and for those you need the other application.... For me it sucks that sometimes, the icons have no preview... (Like when they just come from the camera).
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    like, when I instered the CD, it was under that little gear drop down menu. I wasn't in column veiew at the time. I don't think...

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Ok, so I'll take a shot at clarifying what you're talking about....
    like, when I instered the CD, it was under that little gear drop down menu.

This is Finder,

126958235-S.jpg

It's kinda like Windows Explorer.... it's how you get to your files. The gear dropdown shown above is the "Action" menu, as opposed to "System Preferences" which is kinda like the control panel in windows, and shown here:

126958283-S.jpg

In the action menu the view options panel will let you control how finder displays files. (yeah, it's a bad location for that... Finder is generally not well liked by Mac users... partially for it's poor organization compared to other, more modern Apple applications. Every new release of the OS everyone seems to get hopefull that finder will finally be retooled.)

One of those options, "Show Icon Preview" as you noted will instruct finder to generate a preview image if the file doesn't already have one. Compare these two versions of my "Pictures" folder:

With Finder generated Previews:
    126958228-S.jpg

Without Finder generated Previews:
    126958213-S.jpg

You'll notice that SOME of my images still have thumbnails, even when the option is turned off for finder to generate them. This is because the file has it embedded in it.

Then there is the column view, that can be configured to provide a preview column with thumbnail and information:
    126961021-S.jpg

Hopefully that helps clarify the options for this in the mac. And welcome to the wonderful world of Macintosh. :)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/