Options

Ch 83: ...all things come to light...

TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited January 29, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
A different take on Numbers.

125763741-L.jpg

Yeah, subject matter is dark (dark as in foreboding, not as in underexposed), but I thought why not try someting different.

Thoughts?
Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Well, so much for that idea
    That's exactly what I've been working on.....I think you've got it. Light the candles, do a custom white balance and use the shadows to enhance to feel. Good going.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2007
    Here's one with the candles that are lit - I thought the lit candles were too distracting and went with the darker route. Which do you prefer?

125802976-L.jpg

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Come visit me at...

• Options
    JWilbur26JWilbur26 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    lit candles did the trick. Beautiful shot. I love the interpretation.

www.sunshinestatephotography.com

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who can count, and those who can't" :scratch
    ~Anonymous

Please feel free to edit my images...I can only learn from it.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Very good take on the subject. You do lose something with the candles (focus on the subject matter), but overall having them lit makes it a better photograph. Is there any way to lessen the brightness of the candles just a bit? Even if you don't, I really, really like this photo in both its iterations. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Now....
    Create a layer (Control J) from the original layer (in layers palette), then create a mask.....fill with black.....then lower the opacity and paint in the candles so it doesn't overpower the shot...you want them there but only to add to the overall mood. If you want, PM me and I'll walk you through it if you need help (you probably know how to do this anyway but thought I'd offer). You're on the right track.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions - believe it or not I'm still using PSE 2.0!!!! (Don't get me started - it's not the cost of CS2 (soon to be CS3), but rather the cost of a new computer to run it on - what I'm using is ancient by today's standards).

Anyway, I know how to do this in 2.0, and will give a try!

Thanks again.

Come visit me at...

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    Trasmc wrote:
    (Don't get me started - it's not the cost of CS2 (soon to be CS3), but rather the cost of a new computer to run it on - what I'm using is ancient by today's standards).

Boy do I understand that problem!! I have put off not only buying CS2 but the 5D for the same reason. Good luck softening the light from the candles! That may turn your shot from a good one into a potential winner! thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    I don't know how much control you have over your light, but if you can boost the light power in the foreground by a stop and correspondingly adjust the camera exposure, that'll bring down the candles more where you'd like them.

To darken the candles in Photoshop, I'd put the camera on a tripod and take two identical shots: one with the candles lit, the other without. Then you can blend those two shots and adjust the candle lightness to your liking.
  • Options
    douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Great idea, love the lighting.
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    S_LeeperS_Leeper Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Love the concept... & in some ways think the candles really add conceptionally, but as others noted their light become overpowering...
    maybe you could slightly change the angle/composition (I can't make any valid suggestions as to how) to include the passage & candles where they are more of a compliment to the theme of providing the light...

However, even as is I like... I suspect you will be hard pressed to improve.
    I take lots of pictures--sometimes I make a photograph.

http://leeper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Not that I should be giving a lot of advice but what if you turned it into black and white? The brightness of the candles is minimized and Numbers 34:18 tends to pop a bit more.

Also, love the light mark in the form of a cross!!!
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    The brighter one surely appeals a lot to me. I love candles, so it is hard for me to see candle light as disturbing. I find it ads to the overal athmosphere of the photograph. Very creative thinking! Love it...
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    I love the candlelit one. The cross of light on the numbers pulled me right back to the subject.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com