Options

test bird shot 70-200 lens

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited January 16, 2005 in Wildlife
I took this real quick on a tripod but no remote through the not too clean glass window this morning.. I'm testing out my beautiful new lens.. the cardinal shot isn't good but I was mostly looking to see how much chromatic abherration was present against the white sky.... compared to my 75-300 el cheapo it's brillient...going out this afternoon to play more with it.. It's bigger than I thought... glad I did'nt go bigger!! so far I'm loving it..

any advice.. comments?? exif: 1/100 - 5.6 - ISO 100 - 200mm

14228725-L.jpg

exif: 1/132 - 5.6 - ISO 100 - 200mm

14229238-L.jpg

Er.. scuse me? may I join you guys?

14231747-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Lynn,

Your making me VERY JELOUS!!!!!

I want a Dslr bad and these great shots with the great glass makes me want it even more!

Glad your enjoying it already!
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Nice! Perfect example of sharpness and how background blur makes the subject stand out.

14228725-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Sure looks tack sharp Lynn

The angle is kinda funky :D

Your are gunna have fun with that.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Ah yes, it is amazing how nice good glass can be. The 70-200/2.8 is probably the best zoom made by Canon or Nikon. Your pics show how clear and sharp that lens can be. Enjoy and now you can start lusting over your next piece of glass.mwink.gif

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Lynn, great shots with your new upscale lens.clap.gif You moved out of my neighborhood.

Wish there were a green emoticon that showed jealousy. For now I will go with this:cry

I am happy for you, I guess I shouldn't be too upset as I am making a choice between a lens and a camera, if the tax thing goes as expected.

However, I keep forgetting that I am selling a camera, and I do have my el cheapo lens. Wonder.......... Lynn, how much was your lens, all total? deal.gif

Those are really great shots. I don't understand what you mean about the color something, I worry more about being in focus. I don't have backyard birds. I have a few of Harry's birds, and, of course, seagulls.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Lynn, great shots with your new upscale lens.clap.gif You moved out of my neighborhood.

Wish there were a green emoticon that showed jealousy. For now I will go with this:cry

I am happy for you, I guess I shouldn't be too upset as I am making a choice between a lens and a camera, if the tax thing goes as expected.

However, I keep forgetting that I am selling a camera, and I do have my el cheapo lens. Wonder.......... Lynn, how much was your lens, all total? deal.gif

Those are really great shots. I don't understand what you mean about the color something, I worry more about being in focus. I don't have backyard birds. I have a few of Harry's birds, and, of course, seagulls.

ginger
    Hi and thanks all.. Harry it's the f/4 not the bigger one.. Greaper the angle is a vain attemt to emulate Andy..rolleyes1.gif funny ... I opened the shot in raw.. up't the exposure a tad and the shadows a tad and reopened it in ps.. pen in hand was ready to do battle... Oh joy... nuttin to do??? must be... no? nuttin cept crop.. how cool is that..

Ginger.. it cost me 590.80 shipped... and I"ll get 25.00 back refund and I'm selling my old one for 125.00 (and anything else I can find for ebay.. made 256.99 so far selling crap in the house). The chromatic abherration thingy is the blue kinda glow stuff you get round tree twigs and such when you take a shot witht the sky behind.. it used to be awful with my other lens.. I think I'd rather at this point have my Drebel and good lenses.. than a D20 and poor lenses.. I can always buy a better camera later but I doubt I'll ever need one, my shots would'nt look any different I don't think....
    I'm off out to play... looking for animal faces to talk to...
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Lynnma,

Congrats on the lens. It's a great one, and yes, the 2.8 is much heavier. Nice shots, I look forward to seeing more from that beauty.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 15, 2005
    Take some more Cardinal shots. Those are very colorful birds.

Enjoy the new lens!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    Lynn, I need a faster reaction time than I get with the Rebel. The 20D seems to have what I need from the reviews I have read: it is kind of like I shoot sports, though I don't...........yet.

However, if I can get the 20D for 1500, or less, haha, and if I can sell my Rebel for 500.00 or more, plus sell the el cheapo for something, I CAN AFFORD BOTH, if all goes as planned.

I should move this thread up to the cameras, equipment and stuff. I file the second I get Bill's W2, I mean the second, well, have to call and get all the mortgage info. Last year it was just before or after the first week in Feb before I had the refund.

I guess I could order the camera..........but it has to be "on sale", but I could order it and the lens, then list mine here and everywhere else that no one takes a percentage. I don't have anything to put on ebay, unless they want old books.

I am going to have to get some advice on this selling and pricing business, especially on the lens. I want to be ready to move though. I will start posting on the camera part of this site, right after I do my taxes.

Was your lens new? I know you got it from B&H, and I know there is an extender, I could wait on the extender, don't know how much it is. Did you get it, too?

ginger

You could move this to the other thread, if you want, I can't do that.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Lynn, I need a faster reaction time than I get with the Rebel. The 20D seems to have what I need from the reviews I have read: it is kind of like I shoot sports, though I don't...........yet.

However, if I can get the 20D for 1500, or less, haha, and if I can sell my Rebel for 500.00 or more, plus sell the el cheapo for something, I CAN AFFORD BOTH, if all goes as planned.

I should move this thread up to the cameras, equipment and stuff. I file the second I get Bill's W2, I mean the second, well, have to call and get all the mortgage info. Last year it was just before or after the first week in Feb before I had the refund.

I guess I could order the camera..........but it has to be "on sale", but I could order it and the lens, then list mine here and everywhere else that no one takes a percentage. I don't have anything to put on ebay, unless they want old books.

I am going to have to get some advice on this selling and pricing business, especially on the lens. I want to be ready to move though. I will start posting on the camera part of this site, right after I do my taxes.

Was your lens new? I know you got it from B&H, and I know there is an extender, I could wait on the extender, don't know how much it is. Did you get it, too?

ginger

You could move this to the other thread, if you want, I can't do that.
    Yes it was new.. and no extender..
    here are a couple more shots with it today... I LOVE THIS LENS...

Wistful

14243640-L.jpg

Bad Hair Day

14243143-L.jpg

Thoughtful

14243195-L.jpg
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Ginger.. it cost me 590.80 shipped... ...
    Lynn ..sorry but i got lost here. Is this the 70-200 'L' series ?

Love those shots !
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Lynn ..sorry but i got lost here. Is this the 70-200 'L' series ?

Love those shots !
    yep.. I think so any way.. Canon 70-200 F4.. it's beautiful.. like her

14243145-L.jpg
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    yep.. I think so any way.. Canon 70-200 F4.. it's beautiful.. like her

14243145-L.jpg
    Like her ??? Who wouldn't ... married ?
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    I wonder what she would look like if you lightened her teeth a bit. She is quite pretty, should of had braces.

g
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I wonder what she would look like if you lightened her teeth a bit. She is quite pretty, should of had braces.

g
    ya know.. I did lighten them a bit and then decided not to... she just didn't look right with white teeth.. in fact there is no ps at all except minimal contrast and usm.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    the 70-200 f/4L
    it's a great lens to own, lynnie :D congrats.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Now you did it!
    I went to wipe the drool off of the bottom of my monitor from this guy!

14243640-M.jpg

Now, I have to have this lens!

Enjoy.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    Maybe they would give us a discount for a bulk order on the lens. I won't have the money 'til the first week in Feb.

g
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    These are tack sharp. Beaut!

My recollection of the Llama's is ears back == getting ready to spit...
    What's the first animal?

Ian
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    clap.gif Lynn, these are excellent! Nice work, the lens becomes you.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    clap.gif Lynn, these are excellent! Nice work, the lens becomes you.
    thanks sid.. shame I cut the bulls horns off.. rolleyes1.gif my husbands getting far too critical for his own good umph.gif
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    These are tack sharp. Beaut!

My recollection of the Llama's is ears back == getting ready to spit...
    What's the first animal?

Ian
    she couldn't have reached me even if she did spit.. cos... I have 200mm canon f/4 rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif The first animal is a little fluffy Highland Bull.. there is a place up the road from me called Crimson Acres.. all sorts of animals, horses, riding etc. it's a great place to hang out and talk to the animals.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    she couldn't have reached me even if she did spit.. cos... I have 200mm canon f/4 rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif The first animal is a little fluffy Highland Bull.. there is a place up the road from me called Crimson Acres.. all sorts of animals, horses, riding etc. it's a great place to hang out and talk to the animals.
    Thanks!

Ian
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Lynn,

Looks like your enjoying your new lens. clap.gifclap.gif I got the 17-40L awhile ago, and like you was very pleased with the quality of the images. They are substaintally sharper than my other lenses. Now I lust after the 70-200 L, but still working on which version I will get.

Keep post shots with this lens, and It would be interesting, at least for me, to know what the focal length and aperature is on your shots.

Sam
  • Options
    Michael AllenMichael Allen Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Niice shots Lynn, keep 'em coming. I've started saving for this lens myself and your shots are great motivation.
    -Mike