RMS Queen Mary

cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited February 3, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hi all, a few friends and I went to the Queen Mary last night and these are the results. I'm still kind of new at this so all the cc would be welcome. :wink

Off the port side
125839650-L.jpg

The haunted Queen Mary
125839693-L.jpg

A view from the bridge wings looking aft.
125839832-L.jpg

A view from the bridge wing looking forward.
125839890-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. Cheers!

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 28, 2007
    Brings back memories. Watched the Super Bowl (or a playoff game? -- can't remember) on the TV in the bar 21 years ago when it was a floating hotel (is it still?). The tour of the ship was one of the most fascinating experiences I've had. Your pictures bring some of those memories back.

Also saw this boat in the Port of Miami in 1968. It was rusting badly and nobody knew what to do about it at the time. Salvaging was one option. I'm glad they re-purposed it into a hotel.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Very beautiful photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Hi all, a few friends and I went to the Queen Mary last night and these are the results. I'm still kind of new at this so all the cc would be welcome. mwink.gif

Off the port side
    The haunted Queen Mary
    A view from the bridge wings looking aft.
    A view from the bridge wing looking forward.
    Thanks for looking. Cheers!

Hi there, these look great, she looks in good nick the ole Queen thumb.gif
    Does she still sail? or she forever mored?
    Nice photos series ...... thanks for sharing...... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • cunarder534cunarder534 Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Does she still sail? or she forever mored?

Nope. Permanently moored in Long Beach, CA. Thanks for all the comments.:D

Makes me want to go out and shoot more. thumb.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    Not normally mad on B&W shots but these ones seem superbly appropriate- wonderful light and composition in all the pics. Showing my age here but I can still remember following the Queen Mary down the Solent in a small boat on a school trip :)
    Brian V.
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    how bad is it that I read RMS and thought "Root Mean Squared? What's that have to do with a ship?" Must ... stop... taking ... math... classes...

Good shots tho! Make me wanna get out there with a tripod...
    edited February 1, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    how bad is it that I read RMS and thought "Root Mean Squared? What's that have to do with a ship?" Must ... stop... taking ... math... classes...

It means Royal Mail Steamer. Cunard held the contract for mail between the UK and USA. deal.gif
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Excellent series, well executed clap.gif
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Great shots! I especially like #1, all those rivets and plate seams and the sky too.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    edited February 3, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    Great shots! I especially like #1, all those rivets and plate seams and the sky too.

I reworked #1 the WB was bothering me. Which one do you prefer? headscratch.gif

:D
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    I see only one #1 so I can't compare them yet. I still like the #1 I do see.
    As a side note, I live in Nova Scotia, birthplace of Samuel Cunard.

Here's a shot of her namesake, QM2, taken when she visited Sydney, Nova Scotia again this fall. Unfortunately this is the best shot we got as the camera was defective.

"In 1839, Queen Victoria awarded Samuel Cunard the first ever licence to deliver mail across the Atlantic, proudly granting his steam ship the honoured title RMS (Royal Mail Steamer). In 2004 RMS (Royal Mail Ship) Queen Mary 2 was awarded this privileged title and continues to celebrate this golden heritage."
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.