Can I have my old smugmug back please?

nwgeogirlnwgeogirl Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited January 31, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I am usually one who is fine with change - I've welcomed plenty of new smug changes for the last year or so since I've had my account. I was able to usually pick and choose which ones I wanted to use.

But the new changes are affecting viewing in a big way. My photos now load on the page so slowly! The thumbnails gradually appear (sort of grayed out at first, then one by one pop up). When I click on a thumbnail to view the larger photo, the large photo appears pixelated at first, then runs through several passes before it resolves into a good looking photo.

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY OLD SMUG????

I want it back. I don't care that it reloaded the whole page each time. It went FAST.

This is frustrating and painful to view now.

I am on high speed cable internet too. Imagine what dialup users go through....

Is there any way to go back? PLEASE?

- a firm believer that 'newer' isn't necessarily 'better'

Comments

• StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    nwgeogirl wrote:
    I am usually one who is fine with change - I've welcomed plenty of new smug changes for the last year or so since I've had my account. I was able to usually pick and choose which ones I wanted to use.

But the new changes are affecting viewing in a big way. My photos now load on the page so slowly! The thumbnails gradually appear (sort of grayed out at first, then one by one pop up). When I click on a thumbnail to view the larger photo, the large photo appears pixelated at first, then runs through several passes before it resolves into a good looking photo.

WHAT HAPPENED TO MY OLD SMUG????

I want it back. I don't care that it reloaded the whole page each time. It went FAST.

This is frustrating and painful to view now.

I am on high speed cable internet too. Imagine what dialup users go through....

Is there any way to go back? PLEASE?

- a firm believer that 'newer' isn't necessarily 'better'

your clealy having speed issues I dont know why but not dure its at smugmugs end! I have found my pages load faster now the changes are in and I have tried my site on a few different pc's all deff quicker.

try and time this gallery.

Took me less than 5 seconds to be fully loaded

http://stuarthill.smugmug.com/gallery/2389348#125213966

you could then also try a speed test to double check it isnt at your end.

Also to get help or other opinions it will be useful if you post a link to your smugmug pages.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    If your page is at http://nwgeogirl.smugmug.com/ I'm seeing it load incredibly fast. Faster than the old smugmug for sure. ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    If your page is at http://nwgeogirl.smugmug.com/ I'm seeing it load incredibly fast. Faster than the old smugmug for sure. ne_nau.gif

Likewise here in the UK -safari, omniweb and firefox

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • savannahgasavannahga Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    The site is loading very fast for me too.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Hi, I see you are using supported browsers, IE7 and FF... can you run a speedtest?

http://smugmug.speedtest.net/
  • nwgeogirlnwgeogirl Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Hmm, so you think it's just coincidence that this started happening since the 'new' smug came out?

Could be!

Here's the results of my speed test:
    79653505.png

Dunno what that means...maybe you can interpret for me?

Whether I use IE or FF, it still takes a bit to load (granted, it's all relative, but it's definitely slower than it used to be before the changes were made).
    FF seems to show you pixelated images at first, then gradually they resolve to a clear photo. IE just shows you blank space until the photo is ready - so there is a lag time each time you click on a thumbnail before the photo is ready to view.

Hope this helps explain my prob...

And yes, my site is nwgeogirl.smugmug.com.
  • PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    nwgeogirl wrote:
    Hmm, so you think it's just coincidence that this started happening since the 'new' smug came out?

Possibly. What kind of a connection are you on? Those Speedtest.net results show 0.30 Mbps which is quite slow for a broadband connection. My Cablemodem connection is 8.00 Mbps. My previous DSL connection was 6.00 Mbps.

Edit: Also, your site loads quite quickly for me.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    nwgeogirl wrote:

Could be!

Here's the results of my speed test:
    79653505.png

Dunno what that means...maybe you can interpret for me?

Whether I use IE or FF, it still takes a bit to load .

Looks like a connection speed issue to me. 318kb/s seems kind of slow for download.
    I have trouble with smugmug at night during the winter months and have been getting dangerously close to 56K AOL speeds lately. Considering DSL isn't supposed to be shared I can't explain why my speeds are so slow. As if the download speed wasn't bad, upload speed is insulting, but normal. I know that uploading pictures is a pain, and that I frequently end up with lockups or upload errors and smugmug becomes a "not responding" window: (IE7 btw).
    126157013-L.jpg

My mother gets 768kb/s for baseline DSL. I pay for 3000kb/s, but I normally get 1500kb/s. I was getting 250kb/s around 10:30pm. I called Verizon support but got disconnected and didn't call back.

The US is lagging behind in Broadband. If it weren't for cable, we'd all still be on 56K phone connections. No reason I shouldn't be able to have a FIOS connection in one of the "greatest cities" in the world. Problem is not enough people are complaining or understand what they should be complaining about... I mean my mother was fine when she was on 56K. When I first went to show her pictures from my trip to Africa on Smugmug, she complained about how slow it was. I changed my mind waiting for it to load. I subsequently convinced her to upgrade to 768kbps DSL, paid her the $ for the installation and first bill. Then we viewed the pictures... rolleyes1.gif
    Complain, complain, complain to your internet provider. 318kb download is slow, 768kb is slow, 1500kb is slow. 3000kb is slow in my opinion.

This is what I get on a friends Verizon FIOS connection in White Plains, NY.
    7000kbps down 1700kbps up. I read Japan gets 45000kbps... :cry
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited January 29, 2007
    NWGEOGIRL it lloks to me like you have something else running?! do you have any other software or electronics connected?

I get 79669780.png and thats on a free 2meg connection, also I am miles from the exchange so I get pretty much the worst broadband connection you can get.

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 29, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    Considering DSL isn't supposed to be shared

An exceedingly common misconception.

When Verizon installed DSL for the first in Pinellas Country, FL, they had a 48 customer DSLAM (DSL Access Multiplexer -- the other end of a DSL modem) shelf backhauling to their internet router on *a single T-1*. They upgraded it, somewhere along the way, to *2* whole T-1's.

That's 3Mb/s downhill, shared between *48 customers*.

In the biz, we call it "bandwidth surfing", and it's how Internet Access Providers make most of their money. It is always safe for you to assume that if *every customer of an ISP* wants to move data at the same time, none of them will get the full rated speed of their line.

That used to be a safe bet.

As Bit Torrent, Gnutella and other P2P networks, and things like YouTube become more and more popular, those assumptions are starting to break, worser and worser.

It goes in cycles; it will be a while before the midlevel commercial networks and the backbones start to catch up.

Unless you're at MIT, where they're in the process of turning up 72 10Gb/s fiber lambdas to Abilene this month. :-)
  • nwgeogirlnwgeogirl Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    OK, so get this - I did another test tonight and look at the difference!!!

80496087.png

I went to my smug pages to see how they were loading compared to previously, and they went SO much faster. No multiple 'passes' for the photo to resolve, no grayed out thumbnails while they popped up one by one...

Sooooo....is anything else running? Well...I think my son's Wii is hooked up to the wireless connection - maybe that's competing!? And since he's sleeping right now.....maybe THAT's the culprit!

But other times it was running slow was in the middle of the day when he was at school, so I don't necessarily know if that was the problem or not.

Whatever it was, tonight it's happy.
    edited January 31, 2007
    nwgeogirl wrote:
    OK, so get this - I did another test tonight and look at the difference!!!

80496087.png

I went to my smug pages to see how they were loading compared to previously, and they went SO much faster. No multiple 'passes' for the photo to resolve, no grayed out thumbnails while they popped up one by one...

Sooooo....is anything else running? Well...I think my son's Wii is hooked up to the wireless connection - maybe that's competing!? And since he's sleeping right now.....maybe THAT's the culprit!

But other times it was running slow was in the middle of the day when he was at school, so I don't necessarily know if that was the problem or not.

Whatever it was, tonight it's happy.

The wii will connect and download stuff if it is in standby mode using wiiconnect 24 ypu can turn this off in the menu on the wii.