Options

Some 83 Possibles

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited January 28, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Now that I live in Seattle, I truly appreciate it when the sun comes to visit. I used to live in NYC so it's tough not seeing the sun for so long.
Here are a few shots that I saw on my walk soaking in the sun.
C&C always welcome.
NOTE: no post has been done on any of these shots and all were shot in jpeg since I'm learning the art of white balance. All shots w/ ambient light only.
I'll smooth up anything I post to the challenge if any.
125629424-L.jpg
125629503-L.jpg
125629672-L.jpg
125629763-L.jpg
125629835-L.jpg
125629904-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

-Jon

Comments

• Options
    hysonhyson Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Your #3 shot just gave me flashbacks of my days in Philadelphia. Not that the house or mailbox resembles anything that I remember, but the fact that the address is painted on the curb is something I don't see that often anymore.

It was always a good way to make a few bucks around the neighborhood (painting the house numbers onto the curb with a stencil).

Thanks for that!! thumb.gif :ivar
    Pentax *ist DL | Sony Cybershot DSC-S60
  • Options
    S_LeeperS_Leeper Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    I remember when I first moved to the Sea-Tac area (from south Louisiana). For the first year the constant grey skies were a bit of a downer... but by the second year I began to appreciate the different textures of the clouds & most of all I came to appreciate the lush greenery that stays all year :-).

There are a lot of short day trip opportunities...
    I take lots of pictures--sometimes I make a photograph.

http://leeper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    The first two have potential, I would crank up contrast and maybe saturation.
    The others are a bit blah...
    I don't understand the last two, the numbers are sharp with a blur on the side, I don't see what they are.
    I think it is a very good idea to go round and shoot your neighborghood with a theme like you did, I bet there are lots more opportunities. Try to get a vibrant shot with maybe a vibrant visual story...
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    S_Leeper wrote:
    Your #3 shot just gave me flashbacks of my days in Philadelphia. Not that the house or mailbox resembles anything that I remember, but the fact that the address is painted on the curb is something I don't see that often anymore.

It was always a good way to make a few bucks around the neighborhood (painting the house numbers onto the curb with a stencil).

My pleasure for helping w/ memory lane! Allot of the areas right on the outskirts of Seattle here still have these house curb numbers. It's really helpful when you are looking for a house! Most are pretty worn out though.
    hyson wrote:
    There are a lot of short day trip opportunities...
    There definately are. Allot of incredibly beautiful places to go. The lack of sun makes it difficult to get a good shot though. I realize this is just because I need to be at a level of photography that I'm not yet. The more I learn about photography (which has been quite a bit from the technical side), the more I realize I'm a total NOOB!
    photocat wrote:
    I don't understand the last two, the numbers are sharp with a blur on the side, I don't see what they are.
    That's kind of the idea. They are just numbers. Plain and simple. Thanks for your feedback though. I only get better w/ comments like these as I realize everyone doesn't find the same things visually appealing.

Cheers
  • Options
    LIPhotomanLIPhotoman Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    hyson wrote:

So YOU'RE the guy who was taking all my business away from me when I lived in Philly! :D I used to go around doing that in the early - mid 60's in the Oxford Circle area. Wasn't very successful. ne_nau.gif Did better delivering the Daily News.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    #1 is my favorite. I really like the colorful mail boxes and I think you will be able to play on that with a little post to give the photo strong visual interest!! The shot feels cramped, though, with the left hand mail box too close to the edge. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Virgiia

Email