Options

Photorgraphing while emotional.....

Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited January 31, 2007 in People
I have no picture but I wanted to ask everyone here a questions.
When something affects you emotional, do you start taking pictures of how you feel?

For example.....if something sad happens in your life, do you have this overwhelming feeling of just wanting to take sad pictures?

I know that photography has alot to do with the photographer and the moment that is presented to them in all rehlms of emotioms, but has it ever stuck with you and that is all you seem to be taking pictures of?

Yes, I am sad and ALL I want to do is take photos of sad, depressing things, but I can not seem to bring myself to do it! Isn't that strange?

:smack I know, snap out of it....find a rainbow or a toddler enjoying and icecream and so are his clothes!!

Just curious about everyone else and what influenced their photographs that *certain* day.

Thanks everyone!
Heather

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    No doubt it effects us all to a certain degree. I'm seeing several threads and comments as we speak about photographer's block and depression. I have barely picked up my camera since Christmas! Just when I was getting better.......January hits. I would say go with your feelings as it might produce something powerful and interesting. If you're not enjoying what comes from it, then move on to something lighter. It's a good time of year to try "new" types of shots...takes your mind off the gloomy days for a while! Today I'm heading to a museum to get myself out of my rutt. Going to use the lenses that seem to sit in my bag and see what I can get with them. Of course, it's predicted to rain ya know. But maybe that's a good thing, who knows? Good luck! :D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Heather,

Sorry to hear you're down in the dumps. Like Susan, I'm wondering if it's, "Just that time of year" as many people seem to be having similar problems.

Like you said, "Get over it:D" If you can't, then, like Susan said, "Use it." I would just bet you have an opportunity to really exand your horizons and make some really powerful images.

I do hope things turn around for you.
  • Options
    mlboydmlboyd Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Yes, I am sad and ALL I want to do is take photos of sad, depressing things, but I can not seem to bring myself to do it! Isn't that strange?
    :smack I know, snap out of it....find a rainbow or a toddler enjoying and icecream and so are his clothes!!
    Photography is about expression, and any emotion is fair game. If you feel it, shoot it!

As a society, we tend to overvalue the "bright" emotions like happiness and ignore or minimize the more challenging emotions, especially sadness. I think that this ultimately causes us more harm than good. Most of the time, those challenging emotions serve a purpose and help inform you about where you are in your life at the moment. The best way to shape your life as you want it to be is to listen to those emotions and really understand what they are telling you. Photography can be an excellent way to do this.

Shooting only the "happy" subjects undervalues the more challenging emotions and only makes us feel more and more "defective" for having those emotions. You can challenge this by taking sad photographs, or whatever themes you usually ignore. Go for it!
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    I often shoot sad things, that is, a child that cries or so. A beggar who breaks my heart...
    I often find that if I am sad, my camera helps me to get happy again. I know that if I shoot something that I like, that I feel more happy then before. Even if what I like is kind of a sad picture.

I often use my camera when depressed to snap out of depression.

I certainly feel that we can snap sad things. I don't do disaster tourisme, there is such thing as good taste... but yes, it should be OK to feel sad and shoot sad...

Fighting against depression does not help, you have to go with the flow, and when you hit rock bottom, that is the point to return.
  • Options
    cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    you should keep shooting. Your feelings will show in your pictures.
    The subject and your pictures will vary depending on your emotions..

I have taken pictures of my son all the time.. And I have been very High and very low.. Having a mentally handicapped son, does that to you..

But in the long run, I am UP.. and just enjoying him and all of his friends..

It's not easy but there is only one way.. forward..

take care,
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    Special Olympics Delaware
    www.sode.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Yes photography is about sadness, gladness, hopelessness, and of course the happiest times of someone's life which is often (i.e. birth of a child, and marriage).

I often seem to be in those ruts as well and just the other day I told my husband that I was depressed. I felt that I just need to take my photography to new heights...but I'm not that good to do that yet. I wonder how I will get there, what I should do, how I should do it???...etc. So I get depressed about it.

I think Scott hit the nail right on the head...I think it's this time of year that brings people into ruts. With the hussle and bussle of Christmas and then afterwards it's over and all the family is gone. Or it could be just this darn crazy weather - especially here where I live, where one day it's 45 and the next it 75.

I try not to stop shooting...it's what I love, and I do shoot sad things as well. I know shooting makes me happy...so continue with it. I don't think I helped you out, but I will add that I am impressed with the outpouring of responses that you are getting.

I love this place...people here are just so d a m n nice.

Take care.

Seneca
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    you should keep shooting. Your feelings will show in your pictures.
    I tend to agree.

If you invest your work with emotion, it will show.

Since you put this in the People forum, let's keep it to talking about people.

Portraits are especially subjective to mood, so this might be a good time to try some people shots.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    I might be in the minority here, but for me, I think I take better, more emotionally rich images when I'm sad.

I've always been analytical person, deeply rooted in science and the intellectual pursuit-- tapping into an artistic side of me was an almost necessary requirement for continued self preservation, because I'd become so wrapped up in being a scientist, I had very little emotional growth. Emotionally, before I picked up a camera, I was about at the age of a typical 16 year old.

But, once I had the camera in my hand, using it forced me to observe the world for more than just the technical perfection of images. Don't get me wrong, a technically imperfect image just irritates the hell out of me (and many of my images get ditched as a result), but technically perfect images aren't always very interesting.

Almost a year ago, I failed my qualifying exams for a PhD, and it more or less left me a very bitter individual. If I hadn't had photography to fall back on, I would probably have remained very bitter. However, I took several images that, to me, I considered some of my best work up until that point. (if you're curious, you can see them here: http://www.pbase.com/mmr/a_day_in_the_life&page=all

For me, realization that I've got emotion going on is the first clue that maybe it's time to see where it leads, what I can pull out of it. The camera helps me to work through a lot of those internal situations.

So, for me, I shoot better when I'm depressed. If I'm happy, it's almost impossible to pick up the camera, unless I have a job or an assignment to finish.

And I did pass the quals the second time wings.gif
  • Options
    NanditaNandita Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Like other creative pursuits (eg., writing, music), our emotions infuse our work. The more intensely one feels, the better the work. A number of talented artists have suffered from depression. Their work has benefited from this but it may have affected their mental state adversely.

I know that you're drawn towards depressing subjects right now. Go with the flow but if it brings you down further, you can try and focus on the poignant rather than down-right miserable, know what I mean?

Cheers,
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 29, 2007
    It's a matter of perspective. Go up to the mountain and shoot the adaptive ski program members. That ought to help you balance out. Did ya see them on the X-games over the weekend? Mono Skier X on the same course as the mens and womens skier X. Dudes were charging full on. It was way cool.

20070108_103056_ExXfiles010907.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2007
    redLine wrote:
    It's a matter of perspective. Go up to the mountain and shoot the adaptive ski program members. That ought to help you balance out.

Depression or a mental rutt is not a matter of perspective. If it were that simple there would be no depression.
    Balancing out is more then watching some skiers...
    I find your post rather unrespectful...
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    redLine wrote:
    It's a matter of perspective. Go up to the mountain and shoot the adaptive ski program members. That ought to help you balance out.

Depression or a mental rutt is not a matter of perspective. If it were that simple there would be no depression.

Easy now.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2007
    Easy now.[/QUOTE]

OK, I am easy now...:D :D:D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 30, 2007
    photocat wrote:

It's disrespectful, unrespectful is not a word. We are all entitled to our opinions. If you don't want people to comment then it's best not to post on the internet.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2007
    Comments about photography only, please.
    Sid.
  • Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    I want to THANK EVERYONE for your posts to this thread!! I have been *running* with the *sadness madness* and I will post some soon.
    I am feeling better....I have been venting to my hubby :D lucky man!!
    More family related than anything, but the point that I was trying to make in the begining of this thread was that I felt like crying and that is what i wanted to take pictures of.....the sky *crying*, my children crying, people crying, but when I would go to try and shoot something my eyes would well up with tears and then I couldn't see :cry eek7.gif ha ha....but really...I couldn't bring myself to press that shutter button!!

I think between writing and photography.....these are the two main ways to express what we are feeling and bring out what others are feeling. It shows in so many ways and drives you to do more and more and more. Emotions are the heart and soul of great photo......expressions tell it all!

Thank you again for all your kind words and encouragement! That is why I love coming to this place! But when i do have a massive nervous breakdown and need someone to punch in the face and then want to take a picture of it, which one of you is going to volunteer? :beatwax:photo Ha ha ha

Thanks all!
    Heather
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2007
    Glad to hear that you feel a bit better. Take care and hopefully, you will have some nice shots soon! Share them if you can...
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    I want to THANK EVERYONE for your posts to this thread!! I have been *running* with the *sadness madness* and I will post some soon.
    I am feeling better....I have been venting to my hubby :D lucky man!!
    More family related than anything, but the point that I was trying to make in the begining of this thread was that I felt like crying and that is what i wanted to take pictures of.....the sky *crying*, my children crying, people crying, but when I would go to try and shoot something my eyes would well up with tears and then I couldn't see :cry eek7.gif ha ha....but really...I couldn't bring myself to press that shutter button!!

I think between writing and photography.....these are the two main ways to express what we are feeling and bring out what others are feeling. It shows in so many ways and drives you to do more and more and more. Emotions are the heart and soul of great photo......expressions tell it all!

Thank you again for all your kind words and encouragement! That is why I love coming to this place! But when i do have a massive nervous breakdown and need someone to punch in the face and then want to take a picture of it, which one of you is going to volunteer? :beatwax:photo Ha ha ha

Thanks all!
    Heather
    Heather,

Glad you're feeling better, or at least your post sounds like you are. Having suffered with depression for more than 30 years, I KNOW it can be difficult to overcome.

Now then, about the punching bag thing - you supply the air fare and I'll be there for you. I wont even press assault charges! rolleyes1.gif What one will not do for air fare to a nice warm place in the middle of the winter!