How fast is your page *really* loading?

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited January 28, 2007 in SmugMug Support
This is a question that is difficult to answer anecdotally. Some power tools seem in order.

This is an easy to deal with, lightweight one -- a Firefox extension that tells you time-to-first-byte and total-load-time for the currently loaded page.

If you're a hardcore customizer, you might want this higher powered extension that requires you to set it up a bit, but will give you more detail on what's going on.

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    imageinc wrote:
    This is a question that is difficult to answer anecdotally. Some power tools seem in order.

This is an easy to deal with, lightweight one -- a Firefox extension that tells you time-to-first-byte and total-load-time for the currently loaded page.

If you're a hardcore customizer, you might want this higher powered extension that requires you to set it up a bit, but will give you more detail on what's going on.
    fasterfox has a page load time utility as well. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 28, 2007
    I saw Fasterfox, yes, but pre-load utilities give me hives, on several levels... and they also interact negatively (or can) with exactly what we're talking about trying to do: find out how fast it works.

If we change what "works" means, then we can't tell.

If everyone installs lori, and quotes times in seconds, it's much easier to get a portable baseline, I would think.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    imageinc wrote:
    I saw Fasterfox, yes, but pre-load utilities give me hives, on several levels... and they also interact negatively (or can) with exactly what we're talking about trying to do: find out how fast it works.

If we change what "works" means, then we can't tell.

If everyone installs lori, and quotes times in seconds, it's much easier to get a portable baseline, I would think.
    Seems to me, to be so many variables in the mix here

* each person's ISP
    * type of internet connection?
    * their computer
    * the browser used
    * the state of the connection between them and SmugMug at the moment
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Seems to me, to be so many variables in the mix here

* each person's ISP
    * type of internet connection?
    * their computer
    * the browser used
    * the state of the connection between them and SmugMug at the moment

Precisely so. That's exactly the reason I think everyone would find it useful to be able to put a number on "how fast is the page really loading?"

*Why* it's loading crappy is pretty much secondary to *whether* it's loading crappy or not, and it's hard to characterize that unless you have a number.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    imageinc wrote:
    Precisely so. That's exactly the reason I think everyone would find it useful to be able to put a number on "how fast is the page really loading?"

*Why* it's loading crappy is pretty much secondary to *whether* it's loading crappy or not, and it's hard to characterize that unless you have a number.
    Sounds great - and for anyone who has difficulties, or slowness - we'd love to help diagnose it :D So, a traceroute is really helpful, too.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 28, 2007
    you can also use the 'Net' tab on Firebug, which gives you load times for everything: images, scripts, css, etc
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos