RAW + JPEG problem

Mac SwensonMac Swenson Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited January 29, 2007 in Cameras
I almost always shoot just RAW for most things, but recently I have been trying to shoot RAW + JPEG so that I can uplad the JPEG's and edit the RAW's when they are ordered. What I noticed was that when i tried taking them off the camera(a canon 20D) when i look in the folder, all I see is either the JPEG's only, or two of the same JPEGS. Does anyone know how to get around this? Any different software to use?

Thanks for the help, Mac

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Horace Greeley?

I'm just up the road from you :D
    Though my roots are as a Mamaroneck Tiger :beatwax

There's a windows trick to get those raw files to show - I'm a mac user I don't know it offhand, but someone will post it, I'm sure.
  • Mac SwensonMac Swenson Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Ah, I shall have to dig up the shot of the score board at the end of the football game when we played Mamaroneck, 40-13 I think was the score(ouch):duel
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Ah, I shall have to dig up the shot of the score board at the end of the football game when we played Mamaroneck, 40-13 I think was the score(ouch):duel
    lol3.gif

Hey, I fixed an error in your customization for you.

You had http://blabhblahblah .nophotos etc ...
    it actually should be like this:

/* html only page for gallery prices */
    .gallery_2390385 .nophotos { display: none; }

wave.gif
  • Mac SwensonMac Swenson Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Thanks for that. Things like that really make me seriously consider my mental state of mind.
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    My personal experience with the 20d/30d direct wire download of JPG+RAW to a Windows XP file (a method which is decidedly helpful and my preference when traveling and using others' computers and which is supported by most other cameras so very well) shows it simply will not work with XP.

Canon's WIA driver apparently does not support CR2 Raw files (see the driver's README). It simply does not show the RAW files when you try to download by wire from the camera JPG+RAW and you also may even see double JPGs in Windows Explorer. From what I've read, XP sees the 20d/30d as a camera and not a USB flash drive as, for example, my Sony cameras are seen, and refuses to recognize Canon's flavor of RAW files when trying a USB camera-to-computer transfer. Perhaps it will be different with VISTA, but I doubt it.

So I've had to use the only two ways that always work to get CR2 files from the camera into XP and that is to use the Canon software (e.g., EOS Utility) which comes with the camera (which is how I often do it) or to use a card reader (which is significantly faster). It would be very convenient to be able to use USB cable camera-to-computer, especially when dealing with older computers without readers who's owners do not want you installing Canon (or other) software.

Anyway, that's my experience and "solution".
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Canon's WIA driver apparently does not support CR2 Raw files (see the driver's README). It simply does not show the RAW files when you try to download by wire from the camera JPG+RAW and you also may even see double JPGs in Windows Explorer. From what I've read, XP sees the 20d/30d as a camera and not a USB flash drive as, for example, my Sony cameras are seen, and refuses to recognize Canon's flavor of RAW files when trying a USB camera-to-computer transfer. Perhaps it will be different with VISTA, but I doubt it.

So I've had to use the only two ways that always work to get CR2 files from the camera into XP and that is to use the Canon software (e.g., EOS Utility) which comes with the camera (which is how I often do it) or to use a card reader (which is significantly faster). It would be very convenient to be able to use USB cable camera-to-computer, especially when dealing with older computers without readers who's owners do not want you installing Canon (or other) software.

Anyway, that's my experience and "solution".

If you change the camera's communication mode from PTP to Normal I think you'll get windows to see it as a flash drive instead of a camera... you may also need to uninstall the canon driver. At least that worked for me at the inlaws house when I forgot my CF reader one trip.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    If you change the camera's communication mode from PTP to Normal I think you'll get windows to see it as a flash drive instead of a camera... you may also need to uninstall the canon driver. At least that worked for me at the inlaws house when I forgot my CF reader one trip.

Download the Microsoft RAW image viewer, and you will get RAW support in Windows, including thumbnails in Explorer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/raw.mspx

BTW, Windows can see Canon .CR2 files, and it shows them as <image>.CR2, but without the viewer, they will either be associated with some other app (PS) or be unassociated. Still you should see icons.
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    BTW, Windows can see Canon .CR2 files, and it shows them as <image>.CR2, but without the viewer, they will either be associated with some other app (PS) or be unassociated. Still you should see icons.

I agree, but not in the camera when hooked up with the USB cable ... at least not for me, and Windows won't download what it does not "see/recognize".

Nonetheless, I have always been able to view the RAW images in Explorer once in the computer or on a Flash Drive since as a long-time RAW shooter I have always had the appropriate viewing software on the computer. This has not been an issue with other brands of cameras I use, only the Canons.

Cabbey, I've tried both PTP and Normal to no avail, and I use XP Pro. The best way to download JPG+RAW remains the EOS Utility or a card-reader. USB cable only downloads the JPG. And a thorough search of the net indicates this issue remains a common (unsolved) complaint by many 20D/30D users.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.