High Drama B&W

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited February 13, 2007 in Technique
I have seen some techniques that make a dark, boding B&W photos. Kind of a goth type treatment.

I cant seem to describe it any better, so its hard to search or google.
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    I'm not sure if this is a comment or a question, but assuming it is a question, I'll bite.

Sounds like something with a lot of contrast and shadows. Initially that will be a function of the lighting when you take the shot. In PP you can boost the contrast. For conversion to B+W, there are a number of books and links on various PS methods for black & white (I'm assuming you mean digital and not wet darkroom). Try Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS2 for Digital Photographers or Michael Freeman's mastering black and white digital photography . There is the channel mixer method, double hue/saturation layer method, channels method and calculations. And more. And various combos of the above.

I like good B+W and spend a whole lot of time working at it. Throw in various printers and paper, and you can have a lot of fun & frustration. getting a good, much less great, B+W image. But when you do get it, WOW! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Good Luck!
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • nevillebnevilleb Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2007
    I'd say creating High Drama B&W photographs involves several factors; the reflectivity of subjects, the light, time of day, play of light and shadow, as well as post-processing techniques.

Consider the photo below - made during one of my exploaratory trips to Goa, India.
    CRW_3296.jpg
    As luck would have it, it was a dull, overcast day. Flat light, overcast white sky. The flat, even lighting was perfect for the image I had in mind.

The B&W conversion was done using Fred Miranda's B&W Pro plugin for Photoshop - check it out, it's a pretty nifty thing to have in your bag of tricks.

nevilleb
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Try Scott Kelby's Photoshop CS2 for Digital Photographers or Michael Freeman's mastering black and white digital photography . There is the channel mixer method, double hue/saturation layer method, channels method and calculations. And more. And various combos of the above.

I have tried so many ways to convert to BW but have started using a method that I got out of a book by Kevin Kubota using the gradient map. Use it exclusively for all my BW conversions.
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • dlphotographydlphotography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Bw
    I think it's more in the lighting - one point with no fill. Also, have fun with the "burn" tool in photoshop! rolleyes1.gif...and lots of contrast

Is this what you were talking about?

bw.jpg
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    high contrast. most of it has to do with lighting, for sure. there's post processing done too...
    edited February 8, 2007
    it's my favorite style of BW. :D
    edited February 8, 2007
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    Hane you tried googling the Greg Gorman technique? I love my contrasty BWs and I use this method alot.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    One thing to search for is the Film Noir look. Noir is a common tag on Flikr so you can look there. Here is one place I look for inspiration:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlephotos/tags/noir/

Here is a sample shot I took trying to get a Noir look. This shot was all light; the conversion to B&W was trivial.

128480925-L.jpg