McNaught Comet

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited January 29, 2007 in Holy Macro
Well I learnt one thing while trying to photograph this comet.....
I don't have clue how to successfully shoot the dark sky.

Almost all my shots look crapy, grainy, and totally unacceptable which was pretty disappointing.

I even used a tripod and cable release, but I wasnt happy at all with the images I captured, this is about only one thats on the OK side :dunno

..... Skippy
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Great, now you've got it too wings.gif

What shutter speed did you use? Looks like it might have been a bit too long, judging from the star trails (or tripod might have been a bit wobbly?).
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    I think you did a fine job. If you don't like the look of city lights below, you can always crop that out. I'm envious of all you down under. Of course, it has been rainy and cloudy here where I am in the Northern Hemisphere that it wouldn't have mattered if I could have seen McNaught.
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    You did really well!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 28, 2007
    How cool! I like the way the tail fans out and the way the clouds look
    above the city lights.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Thanks guys, unfortunately that band of cloud was so wide and thick the comet would have taken about an hour to get through to the other side.

On the horizon it still appeared to be like daylight, Im sure that didnt help any....... if the sun had of been down even further the sky would have been a lot darker.

Thank you all for looking ...... Skippy :D

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    It aint easy skip i'll give you the drum. You did very well concidering.

When was this ? Last night ?
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    gus wrote:
    It aint easy skip i'll give you the drum. You did very well concidering.

When was this ? Last night ?

No it was a week ago Gus .... we continue to have lots of cloud and wind down this way dang it, thanks for looking ... Skip

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    No it was a week ago Gus .... we continue to have lots of cloud and wind down this way dang it, thanks for looking ... Skip
    I have a very clear night tonight at last but am afraid the moon is too bright & comet too distant. Its an hours drive & an hours climb. Man the crap we do.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    This is great!
    I'm so happy you were able to see the comet. And let me tell you, you've got a so much better view of it than I saw. It's too bad you guys are having so much trouble with the weather. I think you did fine! It takes a bit of experimentation with these dusk shots and bright objects. I hope you get more opportunities to photograph the comet and share them with us.

I'll have to check space.com to see how much longer it will be visible... When we saw the comet it only was visible about 10 minutes, maybe 15, and so close to the horizon. No nice high in the sky shots like I'm seeing from your part of the sky.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Skippy,
    Congrats and welcome to the Comet Captors Club! clap.gifthumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Thats fantastic loved the cloud between .
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery