Options

Eagle Watch 2007 - Part I

dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited January 29, 2007 in Wildlife
Hi all,

Not usually in this part of DGrin but every year, I dust off the 'Bigma' and bring it out for it's annual workout.

This annual event takes place during a few weeks from the end of January to the beginning of February. It started a few decades back with some of the local chicken farmers throwing out the dead carcasses in to the fields and slowly over the years, the eagles have come for a feast as they head up north.

This was my first trip down this year (usually go a few times per year) and had a great time with 150-200 eagles and other raptors seen. It's going to take me a long time to go through all the images as I was a little trigger happy and shot almost 8GB!

In the meantime, I thought I would tease you with a few that I just had to go through before heading off to bed. More to come over the next week or so.....

Cheers,
Dave

To give you an idea of the number of eagles, check out this photo. Each speck is an Eagle (with a couple of ravens and crows). In this stand alone I counted 48 at one point
126091805-L.jpg

The eagles pretty much stick around in the trees druing the early part of the morning. You just drive along the country roads and chances are if you look up, you'll catch an eagle on a branch above your head

126087547-L.jpg

126081241-L.jpg

You have to be careful as some eagles can be quite skittish and can take off at any moment...
126081395-L.jpg

Some however, literally don't really give a crap that you are there :rofl

126090729-L.jpg

If you play your cards right, you can catch one of the farmers putting out the chicken in the fields....

126081103-L.jpg

First the gulls (usually greater black backed) and crows and ravens have go at the chicken, but pretty soon the big guys take over and come in for the feast...

126074667-L.jpg

Things can get pretty crowded on the ground at times...

126074126-L.jpg

...and down right nasty.....

126072372-L.jpg

This juvey managed to sneak in amongst the adults

126072996-L.jpg

And took it's meal to safer grounds....

126074817-L.jpg

Well, that's all I've got for you for now. I'll post more once I get through them all!

P.S. If anyone is interested in more info on the Eagle Watch just let me know and/or head to www.eaglens.ca.

Comments

• Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    awesome series!!clap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    PlsurferPlsurfer Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    thats intense! great picturesthumb.gif
    www.blakewallrichphotography.com
    www.imageevent.com/obrippers

Canon 20D, Canon 300D, Canon EF 400mm 5.6L, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon100-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Canon EF-S 18-55mm , Canon 580EX, Manfrotto Tripod 3011N, Manfrotto Monopod 559B
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Great pictures. You did a fine job.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2007
    Excellent set, love the 4th shots.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2007
    Thanks everyone!!!

Like I said, wildlife shooting ain't my thing but I do enjoy it when I get a chance.

Althought I have seen more eagles in past years, this was probably the most active that I have seen them with the feeding. Already making plans to head out again by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted with how I make out.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • Options
    BodakBodak Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2007
    A great series, a very good view.

Stephen
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2007
    Bodak wrote:
    A great series, a very good view.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. Hope to have more for you in the next few days.

Dave
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Holy Cow Dave
    I'm coming to your place......like now! Nice shots. Only 8 gigs? Heh, that would be a given. Thanks for sharing..way cool.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    I'm coming to your place......like now! Nice shots. Only 8 gigs? Heh, that would be a given. Thanks for sharing..way cool.

Thanks Swartzy! 8 gigs was all I had, so it gigs was all I could shoot :D.

Your more than welcome to drop by this neck of the woods any time. Not only are the eagles great, but this part of the world has some of the most incredible and diverse landscapes and is a photographer's dream.

Like I said, this is an annual event so mark it on your calendars for next year! We had a few of friends from NJ (w/their 600mm and extenders!) come up just for this.

Seriously though, if anyone wants more info about the area, just let me know.

Cheers,
    D
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Great study of day in life of eagle clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery