Bracketing ? Who Can Help Me ??

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited January 29, 2007 in Technique
Okay well lemme see if I can tell you want I want to do and if I'm barking up the wrong tree here okay.

I dont know anything about bracketing, but I want to try my hand at HDR.
To do this you need at least 3 shots, one under exposed, one over exposed and one correctly exposed.

What I've read so far they suggest

Shot 1 = -2
Shot 2 = 0
Shot 3 = +2

What happens when you put your camera into Bracketing mode???
I takes several shots but how many does it take and what exposure does it take??

Next question is can you set it to be -2/0/+2 ??

Orrrrrrrrr am I just better off while using the tripod take the first shot as the correct exposure and manually use the +/- button and set it manually for the -2 shot and the +2 shot ???

Hope you can help me out here :D ....... Skip
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 29, 2007
    20D, right?

Custom function 09, option 2 sets the order to -, 0, +
    That's the way I set mine. It just makes more sense to me when reviewing the shots.

For HDR to work, the exposure needs to change in shutter speeds and not by aperture steps.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 29, 2007
    skip,

you also need to step the bracket increment, i haven't got my camera handy...but it should be pretty easy to find.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 29, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    skip, you also need to step the bracket increment, i haven't got my camera handy...but it should be pretty easy to find.

Menu. AEB. Enter. Spin the dial to the right to separate the dots by 1/3 step or more (three clicks to the right is 1 full stop). Enter again. Menu.

The next three shots fired should be bracketed.

The cam stays in AEB, so if you want normal exposures after that, you need to go back in the menu to AEB and turn those three dots back into one dot in the middle.

I almost always forget to do this and then wonder why my pics are messed up.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh good lads clap.gifclap.gif see I knew someone could help me :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you bowdown.gif .... Skippy

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited January 29, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh good lads clap.gifclap.gif see I knew someone could help me :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you bowdown.gif .... Skippy
    One other tip for the 20D: The camera will stay in whatever drive mode it was in when you turned on bracketing. If you are in burst mode and hold down the shutter release, it will take the three bracketed exposures then stop. This is pretty handy, but you have to remember to put the camera into burst mode before you turn the bracketing on.

Cheers,
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    One other tip for the 20D: The camera will stay in whatever drive mode it was in when you turned on bracketing. If you are in burst mode and hold down the shutter release, it will take the three bracketed exposures then stop. This is pretty handy, but you have to remember to put the camera into burst mode before you turn the bracketing on.

Cheers,

Thankyou thumb.gif .... Skippy

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    A couple of ways
    for a 3 framed exposure: set camera to AV, set your aperature as it is important to keep the aperature the same throughout each exposure otherwise your DOF is funky.

Use a remote timer if you have one (is best), frame up the shot, set camera in menu to +2, 0, -2 and fire. The camera will automatically take all 3 exposures. Then you can change the settings to +1, 0, -1 and re-shoot.

Now a better way for those pesky shots that have 9 or more stops of difference between highlight/shadows,

Set camera in Manual mode, meter for the middle tones (meter highlights, meter shadows, split the difference and set manual mode for that metering). Remember, don't change the aperature setting. Take one shot, then click click click (3 clicks=1 stop), shoot again. Do this all the way till you take a 4 stop exposure. You will discard the center duplicates if you happen to take more than one. Click then the other way for darker exposures. 3 clicks = 1 stop. Take 4 exposures in that direction. Now you should have +1,+2,+3,+4, 0, -1,-2,-3,-4.

These exposures will give you the amunition for how you choose to put it together. Interior cathedral shots call for more than outside shots usually. Often times 3 frames will work, sometimes 5. Inside shots may require 9 or 11 depending on what you want. Again, tone mapping and PS work, experimentation is key. Check out the Prove to Me HDR works thread for some examples in the Technique forum.

You must use a tripod. No wind, no moving objects...unless you want some bizarre moving thingy's going on in the frame.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552