Problems with email share

dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited February 2, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,

I apologize if this has been coverend already but I could not find it. I like the new email share feature but I noticed that the formatting gets thrown off when the email is received. What I mean is that paragraphs are not separated, and all sentences run together.

When previewing the email, everything looks normal, but when it is received, everything runs together. Is there a way to change this? I tested this on both hotmail and gmail and it didn't make a difference.

To further clarify, if I want to send this:

"Hi folks,

Here are some recent shots that I took over the weekend. Let me know what you think?

Cheers,
Dave
"

In the body of the email, it comes out as:

"Hi folks, Here are some recent shots that I took over the weekend. Let me know what you think?Cheers,Dave"

I apologize again if this has been covered elsewhere. If I am doing something wrong, just let me know.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. If it would help, I can forward an example of an email that I did showing the problem.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    We need details:
    * email client
    * email settings
    * screenshot?

Thanks this will help us help you :)
  • dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We need details:
    * email client
    * email settings
    * screenshot?

Hi Andy,

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't fully understand what you mean by "email client" and "email settings"? Can I forward you an email for you to see? If it is just my settings then I can understand, but i have tried it on two different computers (home and work) and three different email addresses.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We need details:
    * email client
    * email settings
    * screenshot?

I have seen this on several version of Outlook (02, 03) and on a webmail client. All were configured to recieve html emails.

Composing looks like this:
    126202536-M.jpg

Preview looks like this:
    126202550-M.jpg

Email looks like this:
    126202748-M.jpg
    I tried to manually enter <b> or alt-013 to try to force breaks but they get removed when the message is sent.
    edited January 29, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Composing looks like this:

I tried to manually enter <b> or alr-013 to try to force breaks but they get removed when the message is sent.

Thanks, Dave! Yep, that is what I was talking about.

Dave
    edited January 29, 2007
    dlibrach wrote:
    Hi Andy,

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't fully understand what you mean by "email client" and "email settings"?/QUOTE]

Sorry about that :D

What is the email program you are using... Outlook? Outlook Express? Webmail? Yahoo?Google? etc..

Send a copy of the email to ATTN: Andy at our help desk, sure.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

Thanks
    edited January 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Sorry about that :D

What is the email program you are using... Outlook? Outlook Express? Webmail? Yahoo?Google? etc..

Send a copy of the email to ATTN: Andy at our help desk, sure.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

Thanks

Hi Andy,

Thanks for offering to help. I forwarded a copy of an email to you. The three email accounts that I tested it were Gmail, Hotmail, and GroupWise. All set to HTML. The picture and the links all work great (and look good too!). It is just the formating of the contents that is messed up.

Hope that helps.

Dave
    edited January 29, 2007
    dlibrach wrote:
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for offering to help. I forwarded a copy of an email to you. The three email accounts that I tested it were Gmail, Hotmail, and GroupWise. All set to HTML. The picture and the links all work great (and look good too!). It is just the formating of the contents that is messed up.

Hope that helps.

Dave

I get this in Gmail, Yahoo, Thunderbird, and Apple Mail. Looks normal to me? ne_nau.gif
    edited January 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I get this in Gmail, Yahoo, Thunderbird, and Apple Mail. Looks normal to me? ne_nau.gif
    I guess I am not explaining it properly. :bash

In the email above, you will notice that all the sentences run together. The actual message was in a couple of different paragraphs (separated by blank lines). My name was seperated by a couple of hard returns, as was the "p.s....". In the actual email (as you can be seen above), no matter what I type, the message comes out as one whole paragraph.

Does that make sense now? Anyone else care to help me explain what I am trying to convey?

I know it can be fustrating trying to help us out some times but I appreciate you taking the time.clap.gif

Cheers,
    Dave
    edited January 29, 2007
    dlibrach wrote:
    Does that make sense now? Anyone else care to help me explain what I am trying to convey?

I know it can be fustrating trying to help us out some times but I appreciate you taking the time.clap.gif

Cheers,
    Dave

Yeah I see it. Sorry about that. I'm not sure what / why it is that way, but I'll ask!
    edited January 29, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah I see it. Sorry about that. I'm not sure what / why it is that way, but I'll ask!

No worries. For a while, I thought maybe I was starting to go a little :crazy! :D

Cheers,
    Dave
    edited January 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Hi Andy,

Just checking in to see if you've made any progress on this issue? I know these things can take time, but just wanted to make sure this was still on your radar.

I must say that I do really like this feature but it is not very professional for clients. In the meantime I will only use it for friends and family.

Thanks,
    Dave
    edited January 30, 2007
    dlibrach wrote:
    Hi Andy,

Just checking in to see if you've made any progress on this issue? I know these things can take time, but just wanted to make sure this was still on your radar.

I must say that I do really like this feature but it is not very professional for clients. In the meantime I will only use it for friends and family.

Thanks,
    Dave
    We have. It's fixed internally and we'll have the fix on the site with the next push of updates. Shouldn't be too long, as in, I'm hopeful that it'll be not later than this Thursday night.

Thanks for your help in reporting it!
    edited January 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We have. It's fixed internally and we'll have the fix on the site with the next push of updates. Shouldn't be too long, as in, I'm hopeful that it'll be not later than this Thursday night.

Thanks for your help in reporting it!

thumb.gif Another fine example of the customer service that you guys provide.

Cheers,
    Dave (a happy smugmugger)
    edited February 1, 2007
    Andy wrote:

:lurk nu? :rutt
    edited February 1, 2007
    dlibrach wrote:
    :lurk nu? :rutt
    :dgrin Should have checked before I opened my big fat mouth.

Looks like it's all fixed!!!! bowdown.gifclap
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Email Share link to "More Pictures"
    I use Journal style almost exclusively. If I select a photo from...say, page 3...a page other than Page 1 of a gallery as my "sample" photo in the body of an "email share", clicking the "More Pictures" link takes one to the top of the PAGE rather than the top of the GALLERY (page 1).

My email recipients, therefore, end up starting somewhere in the MIDDLE of a journal instead of at the beginning.

I can see where you might want the other styles to pull up the same page as the embedded sample in the email, but the journal style lends itself to a "story-telling" (isn't that why it's call "journal"???), chronological, order.

How can I "fix" this? (Paste the Gallery link in the email, I presume?...OK, but drat!...I'd rather have the default protocol set to go to the top of the gallery in the first place).
    edited February 2, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    I use Journal style almost exclusively. If I select a photo from...say, page 3...a page other than Page 1 of a gallery as my "sample" photo in the body of an "email share", clicking the "More Pictures" link takes one to the top of the PAGE rather than the top of the GALLERY (page 1).

My email recipients, therefore, end up starting somewhere in the MIDDLE of a journal instead of at the beginning.

I can see where you might want the other styles to pull up the same page as the embedded sample in the email, but the journal style lends itself to a "story-telling" (isn't that why it's call "journal"???), chronological, order.

How can I "fix" this? (Paste the Gallery link in the email, I presume?...OK, but drat!...I'd rather have the default protocol set to go to the top of the gallery in the first place).
    Click "share" from page 1 of your journal gallery, or else paste the gallery link, papa. Thanks for posting!
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    OK, for now, but would like to see a real "fix".
    Andy wrote:
    Click "share" from page 1 of your journal gallery, or else paste the gallery link, papa. Thanks for posting!

Thanks, Andy. Now I can see that just selecting the "Share Photo" link (without actually selecting and individual photo first) works for a journal-style gallery page....choosing Page 1 from the gallery, for example.

But if the best "representative" (think "Featured Photo") for the gallery happens to occur on Page 2, or 4, or 12....that's the photo one would naturally pick to embed in an email share. Thus the "problem" of having "click for more photos" link start with page 2, 4, or 12, instead of the top of the gallery.

I can put another link in the email, of course, or add an obvious "Go to the Page 1 of this Gallery" link at the beginning and end of each gallery page to make it easier for visitors to "figure out". It requires extra "steps" that wouldn't be necessary.

It's not a big problem, by any means...and I can work around it...it's just a minor annoyance begging for a user-friendly solution. Please put it "on the list".