San Francisco Supercross / Ricky Carmichael retires.

TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
edited January 30, 2007 in Sports
This past saturday night, Ricky Carmicheal retired from Supercross racing after competing in the San Francisco round of the AMA Supercross championship. He finished the race in first place after an epic battle, with rival James 'Bubba' Stewart (#7) and Chad Reed (#22) following in second and third places, respectively. I shot a number of photos from the spectator seats, I hope you enjoy them.

Carmichael airs it out over the double between 3rd and Home Plate.
126211540-L-1.jpg

Typical mid-corner melee.
126201700-L.jpg

Stewart was on fire that night, and made Carmichael really have to work for his final victory.
126202185-L.jpg

Ryan Villopoto put on an amazing show as he took the Lites win handily.
126207044-L.jpg

The KTM Kids race was a returning event this year, and another highlight of the evening.
126205563-L.jpg

Seeing another side of Stewart.
126210929-L.jpg

Congratulations, Carmichael. Good luck in the career ahead of you.
126214307-L.jpg

This was my first outing with the Canon 100-400mm lens. In hindsight this may not have been the best choice of glass, but I can't help but be pretty happy with the result. I was also able to get over some of my longstanding fears of iso1600, since a number of these shots required me to either use that or pack the camera up. Again, I hope you enjoyed these. You can see the full gallery here, and as always, comments ant critiques warmly welcomed.
http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

Comments

• j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Nice shots from the seats!! thumb.gif Lighting must have been pretty good to be able to shoot Av at F5. Thanks for allowing the info to be shown on your photo's. I didn't look at the info on all photo's. Did you try with the 28-75 or 50mm?

Houston SX in 2 weeks. I can't wait! I'll get some practice shots only as my seats are up top where I can see all the action all over the track.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    126214307-L.jpg

I really like this shot. Retired? Do you know something I don't know? I believe he is racing a limited season...like 6 races and is supposed to race in Atlanta next.

ear.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    I really like this shot. Retired? Do you know something I don't know? I believe he is racing a limited season...like 6 races and is supposed to race in Atlanta next.

ear.gif

Thank you! That's big words coming from a regular offroed shooter such as yourself.

My understanding is that this was his final race, but now I can't find the news to back it up. but either way, he's off to NASCAR next year.

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
    edited January 29, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    Thank you! That's big words coming from a regular offroed shooter such as yourself.

My understanding is that this was his final race, but now I can't find the news to back it up. but either way, he's off to NASCAR next year.

You're welcome. And thank you.

I just looked on RacerX and there isn't anything there about this being his last race. It is the last time he will race there. If RC decides not to race anymore this year it will get real boring real soon. I don't think Chad can with stand Bubba's pressure.

The NASCAR thing will be interesting. His car looks cool.
    edited January 29, 2007
    While checking out your gallery I ran across this.....

Attachment not found.

Sorry for the theft.....but it's the only way I could point out the glitch in the bottom section of the photo. I'm not sure if it looked like that when you uploaded it, or if it's a smug problem. Either way, it looks bad for you.
  • movolmovol Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    rc
    SF was not his last race...he is racing a limited schedule..this is his last season.

yes, it will be boring once he's done completely. It was fun watching Mcgrath dominate, then emig ended that run....then ricky jumped to 250's and dominated...
    Scott

Central Missouri

30D
    50mm 1.8
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8
    1.4 extender
    420ex
    http://photos.scottwking.com
    edited January 29, 2007
    movol wrote:
    SF was not his last race...he is racing a limited schedule..this is his last season.

yes, it will be boring once he's done completely. It was fun watching Mcgrath dominate, then emig ended that run....then ricky jumped to 250's and dominated...

Actually I think Bubba is getting ready to dominate in a whole new way.....meaning not even close. If that happens it will be "boring". The win will be decided at the holeshot.

I love watching Bubba race and win, and I thought I was going to win in Frisco, a bad shift changed that.

Nobody seems to have anything for Bubba....except for RC, so it will be "boring". It's fun watching Bubba and RC race, I will miss it.

I'm sure someone, from somewhere, will step up and present a challenge......where oh where is Millsaps? ne_nau.gif
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Don't know how, but that tear came out of the SmugMug uploader / image processor. Either way, its fixed now. Good looking out, Jeffro, and thanks!
    Jeffro wrote:
    While checking out your gallery I ran across this.....

Attachment not found.

Sorry for the theft.....but it's the only way I could point out the glitch in the bottom section of the photo. I'm not sure if it looked like that when you uploaded it, or if it's a smug problem. Either way, it looks bad for you.

• CharlaCharla Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    where oh where is Millsaps? ne_nau.gif

I read in this months RacerX mag that Honda is thinking about dropping Millsaps back down to the 250F so he can race the East Coast and actually have a shot at a title. Don't know if that's true since print news is old news.

Tyler - this is another nice set thanks for sharing these. Looks like you had some pretty good seats for what actually turned out to be an exciting race clap.gifclap.gif
    edited January 30, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    Don't know how, but that tear came out of the SmugMug uploader / image processor. Either way, its fixed now. Good looking out, Jeffro, and thanks!

You're welcomed!
    edited January 30, 2007
    Charla wrote:
    I read in this months RacerX mag that Honda is thinking about dropping Millsaps back down to the 250F so he can race the East Coast and actually have a shot at a title. Don't know if that's true since print news is old news.

I read that too. It's probably the smart thing to do...title wise, but I'd like to see a healthy Davi give it a go against Bubba.