Help on portrait picture

SandyGSandyG Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited February 7, 2007 in Technique
Hello all,

I've just started a beginners photography class & our first assignment is taking an 'outside portrait' I think I'm making this more difficult than it really is :scratch but I'm confused as to what a portrait picture can be. A single subject/person? place or object?

Thanks in advance:thumb

~ Sandy
SandyG:D

Comments

• StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Or just the camera orientation. An object taken in portrait rather than landscape orientation. Keep it simple. thumb.gif

Stan
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    My guesss is they want you to take a picture of a person outdoors. Richard Avedon (who is famous for his portriats) defines a portrait is a picture of a person or group who is aware of the photographer. There are other definitions, but that is a good place to start. I suspect that the reason for specifying that the portrait be taken outdoors is that outdoor light is typically quite different from indoor light and presents a specific set of challenges to the photographer.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Well I did my own portrait...and this is what I consider a portrait. I portrait of someone...not something.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 31, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    My guesss is they want you to take a picture of a person outdoors. Richard Avedon (who is famous for his portriats) defines a portrait is a picture of a person or group who is aware of the photographer. There are other definitions, but that is a good place to start. I suspect that the reason for specifying that the portrait be taken outdoors is that outdoor light is typically quite different from indoor light and presents a specific set of challenges to the photographer.

sounds good to me-
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 31, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Well I did my own portrait...and this is what I consider a portrait. I portrait of someone...not something.

well texas, that's a sight better than my sp-
    edited January 31, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    well texas, that's a sight better than my sp-

Well I think that's a compliment...so I will say "thank you"! It was a little hard to set the tripod, focus the camera on a dead spot, set the timer, run to the spot and act natural. I hate the fact that I didn't fix my necklace - agh!!!!!!!!!

Seneca
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Nice job Seneca
    Great lighting and focus..even if you did have to run into position, stay still, quit breathing and not blinking :ivar
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Well I think that's a compliment...so I will say "thank you"! It was a little hard to set the tripod, focus the camera on a dead spot, set the timer, run to the spot and act natural. I hate the fact that I didn't fix my necklace - agh!!!!!!!!!

Seneca

Well done Seneca, you did well - a really nice photo :D You managed to pull off the run and natural look brilliantly.

If you are worried about the necklace - take another shot to share with us...
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Seneca wrote:

Seneca
    15524779-Ti.gif Very nicely done. Just wondering, did you, by any chance, use any fill-flash on this?

I don't like the running, etc so I bought one of these 50' extension cords for my remote trigger. Now, I just cap the viewfinder (to block stray light), move into position and trigger the camera. It does the AF after I'm in place, etc.

Still have the problem of pointing the camera at myself without breaking the lens, but that's a personal issue that I'm working through.
    edited February 1, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    Great lighting and focus..even if you did have to run into position, stay still, quit breathing and not blinking :ivar

Yes I took one deep breath and held it...if you look real close you can probably see that.:D
    edited February 1, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif Very nicely done. Just wondering, did you, by any chance, use any fill-flash on this?

I don't like the running, etc so I bought one of these 50' extension cords for my remote trigger. Now, I just cap the viewfinder (to block stray light), move into position and trigger the camera. It does the AF after I'm in place, etc.

Still have the problem of pointing the camera at myself without breaking the lens, but that's a personal issue that I'm working through.

No flash fill...yes I did have a cap to block any other light coming in.
    edited February 1, 2007
    christulk wrote:
    Well done Seneca, you did well - a really nice photo :D You managed to pull off the run and natural look brilliantly.

If you are worried about the necklace - take another shot to share with us...

Yes I thought of that...I actually am working on it again...but the rain here in Texas just won't seem to stop. Hopefully soon.

Thanks for the kind words.
  • SandyGSandyG Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Beautiful picture Saneca thanks for sharing. One of my assignments is to take my own portrait so your picture gives me an idea of what I need to do. Better get outside and take it before it starts rainingrolleyes1.gif
    SandyG:D
  • dlphotographydlphotography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Outdoor Portraits
    Just be careful for back lighting and harsh shadows when it comes to outdoor photos. Be sure to shoot in the shade, but that runs the risk of a washed out background if very sunny.

You could read up more on lighting here: Lighting Techniques

These were some UCLA models I had to do for their fashion show.wings.gif

misc__11_.jpg

misc__21_.jpg

misc__7_.jpg