Metallic Paper and EZ Prints

redsvtredsvt Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited November 12, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Why does EZ Print offer metallic paper to exposure manager users and not Smugmug? Exposuremanager.com outsources all their product offerings to the same place? So why no metallic paper, its frickin awesome

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    redsvt wrote:
    Why does EZ Print offer metallic paper to exposure manager users and not Smugmug? Exposuremanager.com outsources all their product offerings to the same place? So why no metallic paper, its frickin awesome
    Kind of asked that same type of question just the other day, See http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52530

Waiting for an answer from Andy's inquiry.
  • jasoncainejasoncaine Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    I agree ... I recently saw some that were done through MPIX. Absolutely gorgeous ... so deep and saturated. I ordered a couple of my own through them and cannot wait to see them!! I would love to see this offered on SmugMug to offer to clients and to myself (of course)!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    They are not done through EZP. We (EZP and SmugMug) are working on getting metallic (I love the finish, myself!), and hope to have it in the not too distant future.

Thanks!
    edited May 27, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    They are not done through EZP. We (EZP and SmugMug) are working on getting metallic (I love the finish, myself!), and hope to have it in the not too distant future.

Thanks!

Any update on this at all, yet?
    edited May 27, 2008
    jasoncaine wrote:
    Any update on this at all, yet?
    When we do, it'll be here:
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/

thumb.gif
    edited May 27, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    When we do, it'll be here:
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/

thumb.gif

Awesome! Thanks, Andy!
    edited September 19, 2008
    redsvt wrote:
    its frickin awesome

nod.gif it is, it is :D
  • tomautotomauto Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    When I read my SmugMug QuickNews email this morning, I wondered to myself...Why are they talking about pirates and treasure??
    On International Talk Like a Pirate Day, the good Ship SmugMug stashed extra treasure in the hold. Landlubbers won't be seeing it until ye set yer prices, so cast your eyes on the booty and make some extra doubloons. Yarrr!

Then I clicked the links, and I was like.... GOLD!!!! I am so pumped up Andy! I can't wait to start ordering prints!!! clap.gif

There aren't enough emoticons for me to express myself this time. wings.gif
    My Smugmug Site! http://tomauto.smugmug.com/
    Canon Quality l Canon 30D l Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 "L" IS Lens l Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Lens l Canon 580ex ii Flash l Canon 580ex Flash l Canon BG-E2N Battery Grip
    Strobist 101 kit l Bogen / Manfrotto Super Clamp l Westcott Umbrellas - Soft Silver Collapsible and Optical White 43" l Bogen / Manfrotto 3373 Light Stand l Photoflex Multiclamp

• girouardphotographygirouardphotography Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    clap.gifYa baby!!!:ivar
  • justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    Metallic Prints!!!
    wings.gif I cannot WAIT to order in metallic. I've got just the waterfall picture in my stock photography gallery....WOO HOO!!!

You guys at Smugmug are the greatest!

I'm also sending out a blanket email to all my clients so they can RE-ORDER in metallic on their favorite prints...
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    I'm thrilled also except I cannot get the pricing to take in all of my galleries. As I understand it if I want to change pricing for all of my galleries I go into a gallery go to set pricing and choose portfolio. Make my changes apply changes and all galleries should now have the new pricing. That's not happening. Is there a step I missed?ne_nau.gif
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    I thought (somehow) that metallic was really good for black and white images...but I keep reading about how it makes colors pop, so maybe I have that wrong....
  • PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    cmason wrote:
    I thought (somehow) that metallic was really good for black and white images...but I keep reading about how it makes colors pop, so maybe I have that wrong....

It does both. B&W look real good on metallic and color looks good on metallic. It makes everything more contrasty.
  • PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

That's great news. I assume EZP is printing them?
    PeterGar wrote:
    That's great news. I assume EZP is printing them?

nod.gif

20080920-d8xi1du8ysm4rkencd2hgt2s91.jpg

We don't have a 2nd lab, yet.
  • PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    Can someone help me with my pricing issue? Please.
    quote=Andy]nod.gif

20080920-d8xi1du8ysm4rkencd2hgt2s91.jpg

We don't have a 2nd lab, yet.[/quote]
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2008
    I'm thrilled also except I cannot get the pricing to take in all of my galleries. As I understand it if I want to change pricing for all of my galleries I go into a gallery go to set pricing and choose portfolio. Make my changes apply changes and all galleries should now have the new pricing. That's not happening. Is there a step I missed?ne_nau.gif

Hi Cate,

I can't really tell what prices you had on your site were old and which ones were new, so if you're using bulk pricing tools can you make sure that you're hitting the Preview button before you hit Submit?

Also, one thing that many people miss is checking the pricing through the Visitor View button. This is a much easier way to confirm that prices have stuck.

If you still need help can you point us to an example of which print size you've made the changes to that didn't stick and in which gallery (if applicable?) Thanks!

And if you'd rather email your question to us at the help desk, that might help keep this thread on track, too. :D
  • RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2008
    I just read this news as well. Way to go Smugmug!!!!!wings.gifbarbwings.gif
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
    edited September 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks Team SmugMug!
  • Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    I just got my first
    metallic print and it is beautiful. But that glossy sure does finger print!

Rog ersDA wrote:
    Thanks Team SmugMug!
  • FreeflyDrewFreeflyDrew Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2008
    Rene` wrote:
    metallic print and it is beautiful. But that glossy sure does finger print!

I just got my first four prints and agree about the fingerprints, but it doesn't matter... the prints are beautiful. The colors look rich and the photos look like they have additional depth. Everyone who I have shared the prints with were very excited by the quality.
  • PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2008
    Omg
    My first set of metallic prints came in and... well... in a word... WOW! Stunning. Thank you SmugMug!!

wings.gif
    Phil Collum
    Phil Collum Photography
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Equipment list in my profile
  • JamforeJamfore Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2008
    jasoncaine wrote:
    I agree ... I recently saw some that were done through MPIX. Absolutely gorgeous ... so deep and saturated. I ordered a couple of my own through them and cannot wait to see them!! I would love to see this offered on SmugMug to offer to clients and to myself (of course)!

so to be a little nieve whats so great about metalic prints. headscratch.gif
    Jamfore wrote:
    so to be a little nieve whats so great about metalic prints. headscratch.gif
    Shine, depth, wow factor :D
    Andy wrote:
    Shine, depth, wow factor :D
    thumb.gif

Metallic papers add a richness and depth to the print. It's more than just glossy. It can look great on certain prints - I find black and white can be very nice on metallic. Not everything is meant for this type of paper, though. For example, formal portraits.

When framing I also find that glass can take away some from the metallic richness.
  • Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    RogersDA wrote:
    thumb.gif

Metallic papers add a richness and depth to the print. It's more than just glossy. It can look great on certain prints - I find black and white can be very nice on metallic. Not everything is meant for this type of paper, though. For example, formal portraits.

When framing I also find that glass can take away some from the metallic richness.

I wouldn't dream of framing without the glass for an extended period of time. Surely, the dust and fingerprints would damage the print. I would think that the glass would be a necessary protectant.
    Rene` wrote:
    I wouldn't dream of framing without the glass for an extended period of time. Surely, the dust and fingerprints would damage the print. I would think that the glass would be a necessary protectant.
    Rene`, I wasn't suggesting that people shouldn't protect their prints or not use glass. My point was the people who get metallic prints and then mount them under glass sometimes comment that glass can take away from the richness obtained with the metallic paper. I have heard that this can be more problematic with low-reflective glass, though I have not experienced that yet (because I have not yet mounted metallic paper under low reflective glass). I would love to see a nice mettalic print in a light box though.
  • HylanderHylander Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Andy,

You may have addressed this in a previous thread, but I just missed it or didn't see it. But I know from first hand experience that MPIX provides awesome results and customer service - I've been using them for a couple of years for all my work. I now have a Pro account at SmugMug and although I haven't tested out the results with the current arrangement, and I'm sure they are great - I know the new MPIX 2.0 and all their offerings are quite impressive. Being able to offer the catalog of products with the service and quality they have would be a real boost for SmugMug and us, your customers.

I know personally, one of the biggest decisions I played tug of war with was to go with SmugMug and be sort of stuck with whoever your provider is, or continue to process all my orders manually - although MPIX does of course directly send prints, etc. to your customers, I still had to manually place the order. It was a big decision but I was just tired of running my own server/website and having to update my storefront software, etc.

Just my opinion. thumb.gif
    edited October 3, 2008
    Hylander wrote:
    Andy,

Stay tuned, you ain't seen nothing yet.
  • HylanderHylander Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2008
    Any change on getting some details on what's coming?

thumb.gif