Universal Product

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited February 1, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Cooper%20bar%20code%20crop%20600.jpg&

Comments

• jamismjamism Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    i think that this idea is neat, however, i think that the graphic could use some work(its a little noisy on some of the edges and the curves dont seem right to me.) i also think that the placement of the graphic should be moved, smack dab in the middle of the face isnt working for me.

but the picture is great, i like the catch eye... maybe dont crop so tight?

great idea though, and sorry if i seem harsh. just tryin to help. :D.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    You have a great portrait there obscured by UPC symbol. The size of a UPC is standarized; I'd try to scale the symbol down so it to match the size used on packaging and place it either on the cheek or the forehead. Human vision is hard-wired to recognize faces so anything that doesn't belong will immediately draw attention. You don't have to make it large to get the point across. I think putting the symbol in as a detail rather than front and center will actually do a better job of telling your story.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 29, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    The size of a UPC is standarized

No, they are not. They actually range anywhere from 1.175" wide x .816" high to 2.938" wide x 2.04" high. These are the recommended max and min but they can be pushed further at the risk of some misreadings.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    redLine wrote:
    No, they are not. They actually range anywhere from 1.175" wide x .816" high to 2.938" wide x 2.04" high. These are the recommended max and min but they can be pushed further at the risk of some misreadings.

Wow. Ok. I can't bring to mind a time when I have actually seen a 3" wide UPC symbol, but I certainly can't say that there aren't any. My guess is that most manufacturers must ride the small end of that range because 1.175" wide x .816" high sounds pretty close to what I am used to seeing.
    edited January 29, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Wow. Ok. I can't bring to mind a time when I have actually seen a 3" wide UPC symbol,

shipping boxes and such.... like when you get a package from UPS or something. they are usually bigger. or i used to work at eddie bauer and the shipment we got in had big UPC thing.
    edited January 29, 2007
    jamism wrote:
    shipping boxes and such.... like when you get a package from UPS or something. they are usually bigger. or i used to work at eddie bauer and the shipment we got in had big UPC thing.

All bar codes are not UPC. UPC are small (and original I believe) sub section of what is now the bar coding inustry. I know way too much about this stuff.
    edited January 29, 2007
    redLine wrote:
    All bar codes are not UPC. UPC are small (and original I believe) sub section of what is now the bar coding inustry. I know way too much about this stuff.

oh. nevermind then.11doh.gif
    edited January 29, 2007
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    I had thought of something like this but using a bald man and having the barcode on the back of his neck.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • JWilbur26JWilbur26 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    Regardless of the standardized size of the UPC...I like the concept. It would be a stronger image if you could center it more across the eyes.

www.sunshinestatephotography.com

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who can count, and those who can't" :scratch
    ~Anonymous

Please feel free to edit my images...I can only learn from it.
    edited January 30, 2007
    Cooper%20Bar%20Code%20Crop650%20v2.jpg&
  • JWilbur26JWilbur26 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    The centering seemed to help. I didn't notice this before, but is that a reflection in eyes and if so maybe consider fixing?

www.sunshinestatephotography.com

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who can count, and those who can't" :scratch
    ~Anonymous

Please feel free to edit my images...I can only learn from it.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    It's a neat trick but I don't like the picture. The elements just don't seem to be working with each other to make this a standout.

I think you are on to something here though...and it certainly sparked some ideas in my head.... mwink.gif

Erich
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    I love it...would rather see it on her feet tho. JMHO. Good job!clap.gif
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Great take on the concept. My wife saw it over my shoulder as I was looking at the susmission thread and just said "Honey, NO. We are not barcoding our baby." rolleyes1.gif
    redLine wrote:

Equally ironic is that google also spits up this usage of that same upc.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/