Track Day Photo

xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
edited January 31, 2007 in Sports
I had a great day at this track day event and think this is the best photo of the day. It just can not get any better than this. Thats my opinion. Comments welcomed. :D

126340318-L.jpg
xtnomad :wink

Comments

• Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    Great shot! The only comment I would add to make it better is slow your shutter down next time to introduce some motion blur. Try shooting at 1/250 and then working down to 1/125.
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    Nikon D50
    2007/01/26 16:14:10
    JPEG (8-bit) Fine
    Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
    Lens: VR 70-200mm F/2.8 G
    Focal Length: 155mm
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/1250 sec - F/7.1
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 1600
    Optimize Image: Custom
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: AF-C
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached

This is the exif. And as he was leaving a 70mph turn and a big cloud shadow, I moved to ISO 1600 to grab the shot, and at 155mm and 30 feet away I can not see how that exposure speed would have helped.headscratch.gif
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    xtnomad wrote:
    Nikon D50
    2007/01/26 16:14:10
    JPEG (8-bit) Fine
    Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
    Lens: VR 70-200mm F/2.8 G
    Focal Length: 155mm
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/1250 sec - F/7.1
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 1600
    Optimize Image: Custom
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: AF-C
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached

This is the exif. And as he was leaving a 70mph turn and a big cloud shadow, I moved to ISO 1600 to grab the shot, and at 155mm and 30 feet away I can not see how that exposure speed would have helped.headscratch.gif

My thoughts:
    In daylight there is no reason to shoot at 1600ISO. 100 or maybe 200 is what you want. 1/1250 is way too fast. Sure, it stops motion and makes it easy to grab a sharp shot. But you are trying to imply motion, no? Slow the shutter speed down, way down, to 1/250 for starters, preferably slower still. That way the wheels will start to show some blur and the bike will look like it's moving.

Also, the composition would be stronger with if the bike were moving into the frame, rather than across it, and if the rider were looking toward the camera rather than "stage right." Maybe you were limited in where you could stand. Maybe you could have stationed yourself several paces to the right of where you were. ne_nau.gif
    Tim
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    Well may be i should move this post to another topic. Sales are my main goal and with this last shoot I have made a third of last years sales in two days with this type of shot. What you and I want to see in a photo is not what always makes sales. I love to see motion in the photos but the rider can tell his or hers own story of the shot. And i am finding that at these type of events that makes for more marketing than photog critique. eek7.gif
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    xtnomad wrote:
    Well may be i should move this post to another topic. Sales are my main goal and with this last shoot I have made a third of last years sales in two days with this type of shot. What you and I want to see in a photo is not what always makes sales. I love to see motion in the photos but the rider can tell his or hers own story of the shot. And i am finding that at these type of events that makes for more marketing than photog critique. eek7.gif

Fair enough, but you did welcome comments. :D
    Tim
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    Not seeing the pic. ne_nau.gif
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Like was said before you asked for the critique.

In my opinion (and 100% of motorsports mags also) without some motion blur it just looks like the motorcycle or race car or whatever vehicle is sitting still parked on the track. I shot the below photo a 1/100th of a sec shutter speed. Looks like he is moving fast huh? Well he was and thats what the shot conveys. If Id have shot it at to high a shutter speed it would have looked like a rider about to fall over on his side.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Glad your sales are doing well! thumb.gif
    155-ducati.jpg