I got RAW to TIFF, but how to get to JPEG?

jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited February 1, 2007 in Finishing School
I can convert RAW from my XTi to TIFF files with no problem (I'm using the bundled software from Canon). But I cannot figure out how to turn those TIFF's into JPEG's.

I shoot RAW for the flexibility, but often wish to put those pics on the web, where only JPEG's are allowed. How do I convert them?

Thanks!
Semper fi,
Brad
www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    What computer are you using? There are many utilities & editor to get that done. I mainly take TIFF files into Photoshop to do final adjustments, then save to JPG.

I believe Irfanview (PC) can do it, and I've heard Picasa might be able to.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    What computer are you using? There are many utilities & editor to get that done. I mainly take TIFF files into Photoshop to do final adjustments, then save to JPG.

Canon Digital Professional Pro will save as JPEG. (I think zoombrowser ex will too). Recommend you download the free Pixmantex RAW Shooter Essentials, a great RAW converter. Do this very very quickly, as Adobe will be removing it soon.

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.asp
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007

Running Windows XP on an HP Pavillion. Don't have Photoshop, but plan on buying it soon.
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 31, 2007
    You don't need Photoshop to do this. Later, when you do get PS CS3, you will have Adobe Camera RAW, and that's also a nice editor with advanced features.

Your camera came with CD's. One of them has Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional). Load this to your computer. This is a RAW file editor.

• Transfer your .CR2 files to somewhere on your computer.

• Load Canon DPP onto your computer. It should have come on a CD with your XTi.

• From the left pane in DPP, navigate to the folder with your .CR2 files.

• Select the .CR2 thumbnail(s) you want to edit and click the "Edit Image Window" button, top left and a new window will appear over your screen.

• A .CR2 will have the "RAW image adjustment" tab already selected. Make any changes to your photo there.

• Top menu bar: File > Convert and save.
    Save in (wherever), and Save as type "Exif-JPEG(*.JPG,*JPEG)"

OPTIONS:
    On the bottom of the Save As dialog box are output size and resoltion settings. For web display, you will need those to downsize. The RAW file is preserved as-is.

Make sure you set your DPP preferences once you get comfortable with this software. Lots of stuff in there you will need later, including noise reduction and display settings.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Canon Digital Professional Pro will save as JPEG. (I think zoombrowser ex will too). Recommend you download the free Pixmantex RAW Shooter Essentials, a great RAW converter. Do this very very quickly, as Adobe will be removing it soon.

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawshooter_essentials.asp

Don't bother with RSE--it's dead & does not (nor ever will) support the XTi.

Of course, any of the RAW converters (that i have looked at) will save directly to JPG, skipping the TIFF stage. To go from TIFF to JPG, I'd look at Irfanview, Picasa, BreezeBrowser, GIMP, FastStone as a start. Even some DAM apps will do it (I use IMatch, and it can make the conversion--though I never do it there).
  • jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    You don't need Photoshop to do this. Later, when you do get PS CS3, you will have Adobe Camera RAW, and that's also a nice editor with advanced features.

Your camera came with CD's. One of them has Canon DPP (Digital Photo Professional). Load this to your computer. This is a RAW file editor.

• Transfer your .CR2 files to somewhere on your computer.

• Load Canon DPP onto your computer. It should have come on a CD with your XTi.

• From the left pane in DPP, navigate to the folder with your .CR2 files.

• Select the .CR2 thumbnail(s) you want to edit and click the "Edit Image Window" button, top left and a new window will appear over your screen.

• A .CR2 will have the "RAW image adjustment" tab already selected. Make any changes to your photo there.

• Top menu bar: File > Convert and save.
    Save in (wherever), and Save as type "Exif-JPEG(*.JPG,*JPEG)"

OPTIONS:
    On the bottom of the Save As dialog box are output size and resoltion settings. For web display, you will need those to downsize. The RAW file is preserved as-is.

Make sure you set your DPP preferences once you get comfortable with this software. Lots of stuff in there you will need later, including noise reduction and display settings.

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you! wings.gif
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited February 1, 2007
    Cool! If you can't swing PS CS2 (or 3 due out in a few months), then look for deals on PainShop Pro XI, which shouldn't go for any more that about $70. 90% of the power of PS for 1/8th the price.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    jbswear wrote:
    I can convert RAW from my XTi to TIFF files with no problem (I'm using the bundled software from Canon). But I cannot figure out how to turn those TIFF's into JPEG's.

I shoot RAW for the flexibility, but often wish to put those pics on the web, where only JPEG's are allowed. How do I convert them?

Thanks!
    And check out Picture Window Pro 4 folks (http://dl-c.com/content/view/14/28/). Free for thirty days. LOTS of cool tools. Nice price. Fast, non-distructive editing in raw and pretty-much any other format. No need to process your raws through a seperate process. And a lot of cool technical info and tutorials online with none of Adobe's BigBro antics. I've only been using it for a short while, but I'm quite impressed. It's not 'pretty' like PS, but it's real powerful.
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca