Options

First concert shoot - how did I do?

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited February 9, 2007 in People
After much persistence, I received a photo pass to a concert of a band that I like when they came to visit Boston. Having never photographed a concert before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Gotta say that this is hard work with the lighting and trying to grab expressions. It was a bit easier for me as I knew their songs and so knew when to expect changes in lighting and positions. For a fan, though, the first three songs flew by (a shame because one is my favorite from this band). I was just so caught up in shooting that I could barely pay attention to anything else. The club was pretty strict about the 3 song rule - Tried some shots down from the side to catch the audience and band during song 4 (outside the barrier) and was told to put away the 'pro gear'.

Ended up using the Canon 350D with 50/1.8 exclusively (mostly because I ran out of time/forgot to change to the Sigma 30/1.4 as I had planned after song 2). Used autoWB and RAW. Shutter priority and tried to stay around 1/100. When processing, a few looked better in tungsten but I had to play a bit with the WB in only a few - the camera actually surprised me here. Lighting was very tough - first song basically pure red light and just converted those to B&W. The other two songs had more blue/purple with rare white light mixed in. Almost all of the light was backlighting though.

I met the other photographer working the show who had a 1DsMkII and 24-70/2.8L with hood which he used exclusively. Gave me some advice as he had shot here many times before and warned me that they liked using red lights but that shots hardly ever came out in it. Tried visiting the site to compare results but his aren't up yet.
I also sent a link to the tour manager who had been kind enough to give me the photo pass - hope he finds that it was worthwhile.
Anyway, here are the photos - all processed in ACR with some conversion to B/W and noise reduction via Noise Ninja on most (was using iso1600 and I'm not a fan of noise - though there was surprisingly little of it). Let me know if these look okay or if I should alter my PP. Thanks a lot!
E

125929514-M.jpg

125930211-M.jpg

125930695-M.jpg

125930582-M.jpg

125932236-M.jpg

125932605-M.jpg

125932812-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    Pretty well. thumb.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    what band???

these were all shot with the 50 1.8?? wow you did a great job. kudos on scoring the pass.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 30, 2007
    Nice stuff. Good color, nice differential focus on 3... something about the black and white doesn't quite ring my bells, but it's not that it's *bad*...

The only thing I'd say was missing was the occasional slow-shutter purposeful motion-blur shot, and you probably have some of those too that you didn't post.

A-. ;-)

Who's the band, incidentally? I like the instrument lineup. :-)
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2007
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
    As far as the B&W - I used it mostly when the lighting was terrible (red especially). With the Imaging Factory's B/W converter, I'm able to put a 'filter' on first to remove some of the color cast and bring out more detail.

Band is Blue October - highly recommended (they call Peter Gabriel and The Smiths among their major influences). You can listen to samples on Amazon or iTunes. Their newest album is Foiled which is great but their prior 4 albums have some amazing songs in them.
    imageinc wrote:
    Nice stuff. Good color, nice differential focus on 3... something about the black and white doesn't quite ring my bells, but it's not that it's *bad*...

The only thing I'd say was missing was the occasional slow-shutter purposeful motion-blur shot, and you probably have some of those too that you didn't post.

A-. ;-)

Who's the band, incidentally? I like the instrument lineup. :-)
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
  • Options
    SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    I think you did a great job with these. Have to check out this bands music as I am a fan of Peter Gabriel and The Smiths.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2007
    SitterS wrote:
    I think you did a great job with these. Have to check out this bands music as I am a fan of Peter Gabriel and The Smiths.

Shane

Thanks Shane - hope you like them
  • Options
    ChrisRabiorChrisRabior Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Blue October is a great band. Good to see you got a pass to the show.

Out of curiousity, did the pass include admission, or did you need to spring for your own tickets?
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Blue October is a great band. Good to see you got a pass to the show.

Out of curiousity, did the pass include admission, or did you need to spring for your own tickets?

I'm curious, about this, too...whom did you contact initially, and how did you get their contact info? I'm counting the days until outdoor concert season, and I never even considered vying for a photo pass before.

I saw moe. last weekend and the security was pretty tight, no digicams let alone SLRs. But these tapers come in with BAGS of gear...someone must have given them permission.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    I can answer this one =) I was just curious how the experience went with Blue October.

From my personal experience (I've shot for a few music mags in my area), you usually have to shoot an email or a letter over to the band's tour manager and request it directly through them. If you're lucky enough to be on staff with a publication, it's a huge help, and a lot of the times you can have your editor or publisher do all the work for you =)

The key for doing it on your own is to give a good reason why you want to shoot their gig. "For my portfolio" usually won't fly, as it gives them no publicity, and really isn't beneficial for them in any way. This is where publications have the upper hand, because the band knows that they're going to be getting free press from having that sort of a photographer shoot at their show. Some tips:
    1-Get to know security. It's a big help, as they can make your day or ruin your night.
    2-Be persistent. Don't give up after being told no. Put in a request for every single show they'll be doing in your area.
    3-Take advantage of any fan sites, promo groups, or label connections you may have. Many times, those connections will be enough to get you in with a pass.
    4-Up and coming shooters need to have proof that they're capable of producing good shots, so you need to keep on going to those outdoor free shows and building your portfolio. A strong portfolio and an offer to shoot for free in return for a pass and rights to the images can go a long long way for local or lesser known groups.

In terms of the passes..
    Most of the time the pass will be included with a ticket to the show.
    Every so often, you get a group that gives you the OK to shoot during their show, but the rest of the bands are off limits. And in the rare occassion, you get let in to shoot for the band you contacted, and get shown the door after the 3rd song unless you have your own ticket. Always best to bring a printout of whatever email gave you the final permission just in case things get messed up at the box office. Also key to have the name and number of at least the tour manager (or whoever is in charge of promotion and marketing) in case of a box office mistake.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    How I got a pass....

So I read about this everywhere and realized I would have to convince the club, the band management or the local papers to let me cover the concert (with no experience for concert photographyrolleyes1.gif)

Called the club which informed me that a dSLR would be confiscated at the door.

Called management who pointed me back to the club.

Called the Boston Globe photo section who somehow kept their laughter in check and graciously told me that if they wanted the concert covered, they would send a photographer.

Day of the concert, an acoustic set at a guitar store was announced. Ditched work and headed over. Talked to the band after a two song set (only 30 people there) and was pointed to their manager. Explained that I wanted to shoot it for my own benefit and would gladly provide them with all shots.

That worked and I had a photo pass ready at will call. I had already bought a ticket though the photo pass would have worked. Just felt that the pass was a 'bonus' and I wasn't going to take advantage of their generosity by getting into the concert for free.

Only trouble now is that I've emailed the band manager a few times over the past 2-3 weeks and haven't heard anything yet. Dying to post these on the blueoctober forums but have restricted myself to just a few shots at photo forums for advice about the shooting itself.

E
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Don't fret about the band manager not getting back to you right away. They're on tour. It's likely that he's not on email on a regular enough basis to get back as quick as he normally would.
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    i think you did GREAT! those are images to be proud of. thumb.gif