Options

Panoramas, photobar and IE

dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited February 4, 2007 in SmugMug Support
On high aspect ratio images the photobar does not function. I have tested the photobar on panoramas with 2 systems: OS: WindowsXP on a desktop, Media Center Edition on a laptop. On each system I have IE6 and FF1.5. Both systems and both OSs give the same results for photobar availability. For test images I use the my public Proportions gallery:
http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/gallery/2396996#125757592

It contains horizontal and vertical test images in aspect ratios: 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, 5:1, 6:1, 7:1, 8:1, 9:1, 10:1, 12:1, 15:1, 20:1.
Gallery settings: carbonite, smugmug. Testing consists of viewing different aspect ratio and format images in the Proportions gallery and moving cursor to activate photobar and return to thumbnails as if to select another thumbnail to view.

1) Photobar availability
With browser window width set to select 15 thumbnail display format, horizontal panoramas lose photobar availability between 12:1 and 15:1 images. Vertical panoranas lose photobar availability between 7:1 and 8:1.
With browser window width set to select 9 thumbnail display format, horizontal panoramas lose photobar availability between 5:1 and 6:1 images. Vertical panoranas lose photobar availability between 3:1 and 4:1.

The photobar seems to be disabled by too small horizontal -OR- too small vertical. Could a test of too small horizontal -AND- too small vertical be used to disable photobar? All the 'panorama' images I am concerned with have one side at the maximum limit set by the Smugmug image scaling functions.

2) IE Banner Jitter
While making the tests in 1) in found that in IE6, when I moved the cursor between image (to get photobar) and thumbnail (to select a new image) my banner at the top of the page shifted from side to side. If the browser window was narrow enough that the 9 thumbnail format would not fit and a scrollbar apeared at the bottom of the window, the whole Smugmug display would jitter side to side when the cursor was moved from image to thumbnail and back as the photobar extended and retracted. Since I set up the banner there is a wonderful opportunity for programmer error here.

This is a new thread because of new results reported here and incomplete data and incorrect interpretation in a previous thread. All tests are fully described (I hope!) here.

Thanks for listening
Dale B. Dalrymple
http://dbdimages.com
"Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
...with apology to Archimedies

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 30, 2007
    Wow, that's a nice problem report.

I haven't the faintest idea what the problem is, you understand. Just wanted to pat you on the back for the report. :-)
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    IE6 Banner Jitter not just on Panoramas
    dbd wrote:

2) IE Banner Jitter
    While making the tests in 1) in found that in IE6, when I moved the cursor between image (to get photobar) and thumbnail (to select a new image) my banner at the top of the page shifted from side to side. If the browser window was narrow enough that the 9 thumbnail format would not fit and a scrollbar apeared at the bottom of the window, the whole Smugmug display would jitter side to side when the cursor was moved from image to thumbnail and back as the photobar extended and retracted. Since I set up the banner there is a wonderful opportunity for programmer error here.

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com

This is a problem on all print ascect ratios. For example:
    http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/gallery/1468927#70129056

How can I stop the side to side jitter each time the photobar deploys or retracts?

Thanks

Dale B. Dalrymple
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    I've also seen the jitter. Very irritating! And really miss the real time EXIF button at the bottom of the PIC. Honestly, it seem the KISS principle is something I thing the Smugmug decision makers seems to have lost track of.

Simple is good when it comes to viewing images. And it would also be really nice if we had the option of going back to the basics or using the new view. Personally, I don't care for the new views.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    And really miss the real time EXIF button at the bottom of the PIC. Honestly, it seem the KISS principle is something I thing the Smugmug decision makers seems to have lost track of.

Thanks for telling us how you feel. I really like the new exif, it allows me to position it where i wish, it stays there, it's a cinch to open and close either by clicking on the blue "i" in the photobar or the "x" in the floatie. I can leave it open as I scroll through the galleries, and see the exif on the page with the photos, without having to use critique style. The old exif popup page is limited. But this is my opinion.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    This is great stuff, thanks so much. I've made sure that bigwebguy has seens this.

Stay tuned...