Options

First "studio" shot with my AB800's.

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited January 31, 2007 in People
013007_ab_test-108AB_test.jpg&

This is right out of the camera. No post work other than conversion to jpg and resizing.

Comments

• Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    waaaay overprocessed in photoshop! she looks fake!
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    the lighting is very good, even and well exposed. I'm not sure what expression the model was going for? she looks a bit frigid, and like someone taped her eyelids open. you did a bang up job on shadows, as it doesn't even look like she HAS eyelids! And I know the tousled bedhead hairstyle is "in", but there's something overdone about it....like creatures could have nests in there. ne_nau.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2007
    Thanks, it was tough working with such a dummy. She was however very patient.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Exposure appears to be spot-on, but the lighting is very even and smooth - and therein lies a problem. There is no depth to the facial features. In addition, you have a bright spot (not hot, just bright) on the forehead and the tip of the nose. The forehead one can live with, but the tip of the nose is just a bit distracting.

Suggest moving the light around a little more to the front if you want to light the mask of the face. If not, move it a little more to back to remove the spot on the nose.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2007
    Scott, thanks for the tips. The dummy head is tough to light as the plastic is a lousy replica for skin. It's much more reflective as it has a sheen. My fiancee uses it to teach in her salon so it was available for a quick test run of the lighting. I have much to learn with this new set of tools but it sure is fun Of note, the AB800's performed well even at 5 fps. I was shocked. The 10 degree honeycomb grid was also too sharp for a hair light as it was producing some really hot spots. Swapping to a 40 degree grid seemed to help. I suppose a soft box might be the way to go there. For me the toughest thing is using the reflector opposite the octobox. Just can't seem to dial it in.

Live model...
    013107_ab_test-164AB_test.jpg&

013107_ab_test-274AB_test.jpg&
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Wow! that change in the light really brought your model to life!

This is a classic thread...only 5 posts long, but I am just laughing my a** off already...
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Wow! that change in the light really brought your model to life!

I gots mad skillz yo!
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    redLine wrote:
    The 10 degree honeycomb grid was also too sharp for a hair light as it was producing some really hot spots. Swapping to a 40 degree grid seemed to help. I suppose a soft box might be the way to go there. For me the toughest thing is using the reflector opposite the octobox. Just can't seem to dial it in.
    Look into barn doors to limit the hair light. They are much more controllable then softbox, honeycombs, or snoots. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    redLine wrote:
    I gots mad skillz yo!

Y'all just a bunch of silly chickens!

Lighting does lack depth. I'd say try some more of Scott's ideas - does seem kind of flat.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com