Sports Trader Cards resources ??

OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited March 11, 2007 in Sports
Hello everyone,
I have been contacted to do a Leagues Softball and Baseball T&I (About 30 teams) I offer everything they need/want, EXCEPT trader cards, I can actually design the front and back of the cards but how do I get the backs printed? I'd hate not getting the job becouse of this but Im finding it difficult to find resources for traders and at reasonable prices. Does anyone have any links or resources for trader cards you would care to share?

Thanks,
Brad
Brad Fite :D
www.fitephotography.com
Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff

Comments

• psmoorepsmoore Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2007
    You can try this site...

http://proshooterdirect.com/

Paul
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    psmoore wrote:
    You can try this site...

http://proshooterdirect.com/
    A second nod for them as well.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • risourcerisource Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    doesn't look like a very good idea to me
    Sorry to be contrary, but $8.95-$12.95 cost for 12 cards and only 2 design styles to pick from, *and* they suggest a free ship direct to customer (which gives them the customer contact info) doesn't seem like a good deal for the photographer.

but I suppose if you consider the reality:

- you use their template, so no design work
    - you don't do any fulfillment processing beyond taking the order

They are effectively monetizing your business for a piece of the action. On the flip side, your business becomes commoditized because:

- your designs look like every on else's designs
    - they build a mailing list that includes all of your customers (leads) for free
    - Yes you have more time to shoot, but you can't spend it shooting because you have to work your other job to pay your bills. You end up delivering sub-par images on those trading cards because you can't spend enough quality time, and they are no better than anyone else's.

It's a tough enough business already, isn't it?

I suggest staying *local* since you are local, and putting the power of your local economy to work for you.

Maybe hook up with a graphics design student who will do your templates, into which you can place your chosen images (or have them placed by the student). That student can take your one-off and build the full-sheet N-up layout (front and back, as many cards as fits on the page) for you, as per requirements of your printing shop. Visit your *local* digital printing outfit to have a chat about how you can help each other do business for the long term. Once laid out digitally, it's a short run dual-sided print job and cut for the print shop.

Since most local digital print shops also offer large print, print on foam core, enlargements, etc. you might remind the owner of the potential value of referred traffic when your customers come back looking for enlargements of your images. As long as you are working together, that shop can get the enlargements business via your images/permission. It seems that in most towns today there are a few digital print shops to pick from, if not more. I expect there will be even more tomorrow.

Long reply but I think it's an important discussion. I love some of the action art I have seen come out of some shooters cameras, but I usually cringe when I see kid's sports trading cards delivered to parents. They are so often really sub-par. And when I see a sports commission hire a local photographer, and see him using one of these non-local fulfillment services, I just shake my head and wonder why it has to be that way.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Wow really cool thanks for the link. clap.gif
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    risource wrote:
    Sorry to be contrary, but $8.95-$12.95 cost for 12 cards and only 2 design styles to pick from
    You missed the option to do the entire design yourself. I never used their templates.
    *and* they suggest a free ship direct to customer (which gives them the customer contact info) doesn't seem like a good deal for the photographer.
    I haven't found that they abuse the fact they have my client's addresses.
    They are effectively monetizing your business for a piece of the action. On the flip side, your business becomes commoditized because:

- your designs look like every on else's designs
    Already addressed.
    - they build a mailing list that includes all of your customers (leads) for free
    You're being a bit paranoid, aren't you? They have nothing to directly offer my clients.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Thanks for the reply guys/gals. I have found a vendor In Montomery AL, they print on pro lusture paper $1.10 for a 8x10 sheet and $4.95 for a sheet with 8 traders on it. Since I was asking for resources I will add this one for you :D
    www.capitolfilmworks.com

risource, If you noticed in my original post, "I can actually design the front and back of the cards but how do I get the backs printed?"

Thanks again everyone
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff
  • kammermankammerman Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    My favorite is H&H Color Lab (www.hhcolorlab.com) .
    Ask for Ron Fleckal (1-800-821-1305).

Their service and personal touch are 2nd to none.

Lisa
    Lisa

bigtrainphotos.com (Bethesda Big Train Baseball Photos)
    Kammerman Portraits
    (Portraits, Events, Children with Special Needs, Daycare)

Photography Referral System