CH 30 Ed

ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
edited January 20, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
14442742-M.jpg

Shots Taken 1/15/2005 Yosemite NP

Comments

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    You cant seriously be considering entering This umph.gif in the challenge...

That would be so unfair to the rest of us.

Very nice
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Awsome pics! What range were you at? What monsterous lens did you use?
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    I was anywhere from 15 to about 50 feet using 100-400 all shot at 400

aero-nut wrote:
    Awsome pics! What range were you at? What monsterous lens did you use?
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Great shots, Ed!

I've just got a couple coments - Although I love your use of a low contrast image as a background, I don't think it works in this case. The combination of a fairly small image (due to the Challenge rules) and JPEG artifacts, the background starts to look really weird.

To my eye the drop shadow on the left most image looks a little different than the others. It looks like it extends farther up the right edge of the picture than the other two.

Outstanding work clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    edited January 16, 2005
    Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. The image on the left has the exact same drop shadow as the others, it does appear to be differnet due to the extremely white corner of that picture, I hadn't spotted that in the picture, thanks. Full size you can see the corner of the pic a bit better.

cletus wrote:
    Great shots, Ed!

I've just got a couple coments - Although I love your use of a low contrast image as a background, I don't think it works in this case. The combination of a fairly small image (due to the Challenge rules) and JPEG artifacts, the background starts to look really weird.

To my eye the drop shadow on the left most image looks a little different than the others. It looks like it extends farther up the right edge of the picture than the other two.

Outstanding work clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    regarding image size
    cletus wrote:
    The combination of a fairly small image (due to the Challenge rules)

you can display a link to a larger version, but only embed the 800px max in the challenge thread.

i've said this before, please spread the word
    edited January 16, 2005
    Are they all of the same wolf? It looks like the one on the right has a spot on its nose that the other two don't. You must have done some real searching if you were able to get shots of multiple wolves.
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Very nice pics. It must be nice to have yosemite in your backyard. did you tie a raw steak around your neck or was this at a petting zoo? rolleyes1.gif

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • beebibibeebibi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    14303047-M.jpg

Nice compo and I like your subject very much... great expressions.

As to the frames: the drop shadows around the images tends to distract me from the wolfes :D A shadow all around each frame might be more effective...worth a try maybe ne_nau.gif especially considering the intricate light pattern of the background which btw I find quite attractive ...
    Cheers, Bee
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    While I was taking a nap!!!! HUH!

Well, I will be nice and won't say that I don't like it at all. Actually, I don't like at all that it is coming into this contest!

You know, I have seen some people's best work, I think, in these triptych's. This is an awesome "shot".

As far as the "shadow". In my haze, I did not see it. Looking again, I did, but not enough for it to really be the design I think you intended. Might be the difference in our monitors. I thought it might not be a shadow but an extension of the snow. I don't know. It didn't distract me from saying, "OH MY Gosh". You might want to do something with it, though, as it seems to be bothering other people. You would not want to distract attention from the wolves.rolleyes1.gif

Looking again on the drop shadow, I see what he means. I think it is the whiteness of the background. Yup, just ruins the triptych. Or not! I love it!

Then again,...............

gingerthumb.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited January 16, 2005
    aero-nut wrote:
    Are they all of the same wolf? It looks like the one on the right has a spot on its nose that the other two don't. You must have done some real searching if you were able to get shots of multiple wolves.
    They are all of the same Coyote, the white spot on his nose was after he was digging in the snow, his head was completely out of sight for a bit. Looked kind of funny, just a furry butt up in the air hehe.
    edited January 16, 2005
    johno wrote:
    Very nice pics. It must be nice to have yosemite in your backyard. did you tie a raw steak around your neck or was this at a petting zoo? rolleyes1.gif

peace.
    johno~
    Thanks!
    It really is great having Yosemite so close, for quite a few years we never really took advantage of it, but now it's at least once a month.
    edited January 16, 2005
    Ginger, thanks for the very kind words, I really appreciate it.
    I'm working on two more versions of the picture with the backgrounds a little different. Please let me know what you think.
    Ed

ginger_55 wrote:
    While I was taking a nap!!!! HUH!

Well, I will be nice and won't say that I don't like it at all. Actually, I don't like at all that it is coming into this contest!

You know, I have seen some people's best work, I think, in these triptych's. This is an awesome "shot".

As far as the "shadow". In my haze, I did not see it. Looking again, I did, but not enough for it to really be the design I think you intended. Might be the difference in our monitors. I thought it might not be a shadow but an extension of the snow. I don't know. It didn't distract me from saying, "OH MY Gosh". You might want to do something with it, though, as it seems to be bothering other people. You would not want to distract attention from the wolves.rolleyes1.gif

Looking again on the drop shadow, I see what he means. I think it is the whiteness of the background. Yup, just ruins the triptych. Or not! I love it!

Then again,...............

gingerthumb.gif
    edited January 16, 2005
    Let me know if one of these are better

14322085-L.jpg

14322087-L.jpg
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2005
    Wow, awesome shots!! I like the first version's background the best. I think that the shadows are fine, maybe just blur them out.

Fantastic captures!thumb.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
    edited January 16, 2005
    Ok, you would think I would know the difference between a coyote and a wolf. :bash

Anyway, out of your new versions, I think I like second background the best with Half Dome.
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    Just saw this post - your triptych is outstanding! Really!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    Thanks!
    It really is great having Yosemite so close, for quite a few years we never really took advantage of it, but now it's at least once a month.

My wife grew up in Oakhurst, actually Sugar Pine near Fish Camp. Her family has a "rustic" cabin in Sugar Pine. It's nice to take some time off and relax... It's so beautiful. I hope to visit in May. :D

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    These shots are amazing. I like the one with halfdome behind!
    edited January 17, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Just saw this post - your triptych is outstanding! Really!
    Thanks Nir, I appreciate it
    edited January 17, 2005
    Thanks Bryan, I still can't decide which background is my favorite
    Bryan wrote:
    These shots are amazing. I like the one with halfdome behind!
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    The shots are amazing!!! I like the first one the best. Having Halfdome behind is beautiful but is a little distracting. I find myself focusing on the background picture more than the three in front.
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    ehughes wrote:
    14303047-M.jpg

Im totally jealous, not just because of the great pictures but I was a tour guide in yellowstone for a summer and even thought I saw wolves, even through a spoting scope I didnt seem them this close unless I went to the pack that was in a captive reserve in west yellowstone (outside the park).
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2005
    First, the shots are stunning. Makes me feel like I'm there looking at them with my own eyes. Second, I think the presentation could use a slight tweak. The left picture seems to be slightly higher (or smaller) than the other two. Fixing that and substituting a small (maybe 2 pixel?) medium to dark gray (or even black) border for the drop shadow would be more appealing, IMHO. The background shot needs to be very subtle, or it distracts from the three pics up front, so I would stick with the first background if you want to keep it. Otherwise, just go white or maybe really light gray.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • JennyJenny Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    ok, I think we are all in agreement that you win. These shots are amazing!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif