Options

Vista?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Windows Vista moved me to switch to linux. With its move to embrace DRM at the software and hardware level, limit freedoms, locking me out of the OS if it decides it doesn't like the hardware I install, etc. I no longer trust the OS to do my bidding. Instead it is designed to do Microsoft's and others bidding.

In addition, I believe Microsoft is moving towards a rental scheme for the OS, as well as doing what it can to lock users into their solutions and locking users out of others so that they can extract the maximum amount of revenue from each user that they can possibly get away with. You are not a user/customer anymore, you are a revenue entitlement to them.

I started loosing faith in them with the introduction of XP and it's activation scheme. Then when they foisted the genuine advatage gimick, I was on full alert. When I heard what further measures they were going to take with Vista, I had had enough and said no. I stopped using Microsoft at the beginning of the year, and never plan on buying or using Microsoft operating systems anymore.

Why not Mac, Shay?

Does Photoshop work on Linux?

I like the idea of open source....I just resist learning new things. Harder to change, the older you get.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Why not Mac, Shay?
    Apple is more restrictive than Microsoft. I trust Apple even less than I trust Microsoft.
    Does Photoshop work on Linux?
    Photoshop 7 works, but the CS versions don't currently work. But I have stopped using them too since they require activation, and I am shunning all activation schemes.
    I like the idea of open source....I just resist learning new things. Harder to change, the older you get.
    I know what you mean. But, you can always do it the slow way. That is what I did. It took me a year to be able to stop using Windows. I began by dual booting with Windows and Linux. I moved what I could over linux (web browsing, email, etc) then with time and experience, I started moving more and more of what I did to linux. Eventually, I was left with just one or two things that I could only do in Windows. And then one day, I was able to do everything.

So like any large project, just break it down into small manageable chunks. Rome wasn't built in a day :-) and remember, windows is trying to lock you in, so the sooner you get off the upgrade cycle, the sooner you can start weaning yourself from it. But if you jump onto Photoshop CS3, then you will get hooked on it and not be able to leave. If you upgrade to Vista, same thing.

Wean and find alternatives. Start with programs that are cross platform, like firefox, thunderbird, open office, etc. That will make the transition easier since you already know how to use those programs on both platforms. Move away from windows only programs.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2007
    Thanks, Shay.:D

I'll be looking into this.

I think I read that you can even run some of these open source OS's from a cd. Seems like there is a whole community of folks out there that are willing to help if you need it.

I started using firefox when IE7 came out and see no need to ever go back. Of course I need IE for windows updates and some (very few) sites that use active X controls for certain functions.

Personally, I don't care for Apple or Adobe at all. Bottomless money pit! I've been using Corel for years and don't feel left out at all.

We'll see.
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    XP Home and Media Center support by MS extended until 2017, just like Pro, so we can all be assimilated at our own rates.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Windows Vista moved me to switch to linux. With its move to embrace DRM at the software and hardware level, limit freedoms, locking me out of the OS if it decides it doesn't like the hardware I install, etc. I no longer trust the OS to do my bidding. Instead it is designed to do Microsoft's and others bidding.

Here is one of Wired's writers take on the EULA, similar to what you have written.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Here is one of Wired's writers take on the EULA, similar to what you have written.

127987652-L.jpg
  • Options
    steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    ???
    Sorry, but where's the humor in that?

Paranoid bashing of MS is pointless. I would rather see someone use Linux because they like it and not because they feel MS is "forcing" them to use it.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Very informative article:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6156413.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=tr

I've been using Vista for months and am tired of hearing it bashed by folks who've never used it. It's not the savior of the world, it's just an OS. A darn good OS.
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Very informative article:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6156413.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=tr

I've been using Vista for months and am tired of hearing it bashed by folks who've never used it. It's not the savior of the world, it's just an OS. A darn good OS.
    Riddle me this: word is that MS changed how upgrades installations work. I've been using beta copies also for many months but haven't touched gold code yet.

I hear two things have changed:

1. Upgrade install DVD requires that a qualifying OS be installed. This is changed from previous upgrade requirement that you possessed the qualifying OS install media (cds or floppies).
    2. Upgrade install will not allow a new installation, but rather forces an upgrade.

What I've garnered is that #1 is true: no OS installed, no upgrade. This makes sense when considering that MS wants to move to a web-delivered product that they can completely control.

But I'm not so sure about #2. I'm under the impression that you can choose an advanced installation and choose a new install always. But I hear word that if you don't buy a full version, you don't get a full install. Pay only for an upgrade, that's all you get. This also makes some sense when you consider that MS would prefer you get your new OS via purchase of a new box.

Any insight?

Yea, I agree, all OSes are cool, especially the latest/greatest versions. But then I recall that my DOS 6.22 machine was fast as all heck.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Ph.D., :-)
    photodoug wrote:
    Yea, I agree, all OSes are cool, especially the latest/greatest versions. But then I recall that my DOS 6.22 machine was fast as all heck.
    I'd say it's a bit unfair to use this analogy. One can also say that his HP graphing calculator never hangs up.
    DOS couldn't even do the cooperative multitasking (unless you consider TSRs, which were a big mess). Not much of anything is needed to run one and only one process. LANs were rare, Internet didn't exist except in DARPA labs...

And yes, OS is just an OS. However, the way most people think of any is defined by the apps that can run under it. Apps are defined by legacy reasons and by development tools availalble. Nobody operates in machine codes nowadays, since it'll take years to deliver anything as complex as Notepad or vi.

Then we compare the market shares - and this is where the buck stops. Take PickOS, for instance. No market share - no apps - no glory. Elvis has left the building.

Cheers! :D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"