Need a projector

wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
edited February 5, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I'm looking to purchase a portable multi-feed (VGA/S-video/component) projector and a decent portable screen for my church. I haven't the slightest idea where to begin. I need at least 1024x768 resolution, and I need the whole package for <$2k. Any ideas? What brands and features should I be looking for? I see ANSI lumens ratings on some models at B&H. Is there a minimum I shouldn't cross? Thanks for any advice!
-Greg

Comments

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    wellman wrote:
    I'm looking to purchase a portable multi-feed (VGA/S-video/component) projector and a decent portable screen for my church. I haven't the slightest idea where to begin. I need at least 1024x768 resolution, and I need the whole package for <$2k. Any ideas? What brands and features should I be looking for? I see ANSI lumens ratings on some models at B&H. Is there a minimum I shouldn't cross? Thanks for any advice!
    -Greg
    There are two outstanding web sites for projector reviews. While they mostly deal with home theatre projectors, they also review office types. Both will certainly give you an idea of the pitfalls you may come across. Your biggest issues are going to be light and viewing distance.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/index.asp

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector-reviews.cfm

On the second site you'll find a wonderful tool "Calculator Pro" for figuring out screen size versus the projector throw versus light intensity.

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Something else.... you'll likely see two main technologies for displaying images. Projectors using LCD panels and others using DLP. I'd stay away from the DLP units with less than 4x wheel speed. Some people are prone to seeing "rainbows" with low speed wheels and a few claim for even 4x or higher. It may make some of your audience uncomfortable (headaches/nausea) after a few minutes. DLP do provide a very good PQ vs $$$ ratio however.

Also, because you seem to be needing a mobile unit and may be bringing the projector into less than "home" clean environments, I'd research the issues around dust with the units. LCDS tend to collect "blobs" which are visible on screen. DLP's do not seem to be as susceptible to this effect. Some projectors have dust filters on their air intakes which work well and are easy to clean. Some have none.

The "throw" of the units are important - how close the projector can be to the screen and still display a very large image and how far before it gets too dim. LCD's tend to have the best close-up throw ratio so they would be better for small rooms.

Most home theatre projectors are very quiet - I'm not as familiar with the noise levels of office types but you'll definitely want one you can talk over.

The screen is also very important. A white wall or sheet will do in many cases but for sharp easy viewing you probably want to stay away from a screen like the Optoma Grey Wolf which is designed to reflect light back to the audience's seating position. Viewers to the side will see a muted image and some viewers object to the "twinklie" effect of the particles on the screen that enhance its' ability to reflect light.

You may want to consider a model that can project a wide screen 16:9 movie but also be used for 4:3 aspect presentations from a PC. This way you can also use it to show movies for children in the church daycare or more mature movies such if they are used for discussion in bible study.

• wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Thanks a ton for all the info, Newsy! Time to do some researching. thumb.gif