Please group photo products by aspect ratio

LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
When I crop a shot to a common aspect ratio (1x1, 2x3, 3x4 or 4x5) I often like to limit sales to print sizes which match the crop. What I would really like is for the cheapest appropriate print size be the default choice in the shopping cart. That works for 2x3 prints and 3x4 prints. Unfortunately it does not work at all for 4x5 prints because for some odd reason 4x5 is an "other" print size. What this means is if a customer asks for a print of a 4x5 crop the first choice they see is 8x10 and many will never see the 4x5 choice because it is buried off in the "other" category.

Oh, and while I am asking, can we have a 4x4 print size in the $0.19 - $0.25 price range? I often encourage my customers to order small prints as a print proof before they shell out for a large print so I deliberately price my smallest prints very low. Right now, I allow 4x5 prints from 1x1 aspect crops because I find the price of a 5x5 to be too high for a proof.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    When I crop a shot to a common aspect ratio (1x1, 2x3, 3x4 or 4x5) I often like to limit sales to print sizes which match the crop. What I would really like is for the cheapest appropriate print size be the default choice in the shopping cart. That works for 2x3 prints and 3x4 prints. Unfortunately it does not work at all for 4x5 prints because for some odd reason 4x5 is an "other" print size. What this means is if a customer asks for a print of a 4x5 crop the first choice they see is 8x10 and many will never see the 4x5 choice because it is buried off in the "other" category.

Oh, and while I am asking, can we have a 4x4 print size in the $0.19 - $0.25 price range? I often encourage my customers to order small prints as a print proof before they shell out for a large print so I deliberately price my smallest prints very low. Right now, I allow 4x5 prints from 1x1 aspect crops because I find the price of a 5x5 to be too high for a proof.
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Model MakerModel Maker Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 21, 2009
    help with pricing_ Want only 3:4 and 4:5 ratios
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I do not want to allow any cropping, and I only want to offer two ratios (3:4 and 4:5)

Actors and Bands will want 8x10's and for models the industry standard in my area is 9x12.
    I only want those, and give them the option to go larger or smaller without changing the photo
    with a choice to crop. It would be a huge trouble saver if Smugmug would categorize the pricing options
    by ratio only. The customers don't need to know the ratio but I would like to see it before me
    instead of relying on the big chart I tacked above my monitor. And although Bay Photo is superior, they
    don't offer much in the way of 9x12's but I can't help what they do, I just need to output what agencies expect. Thanks for letting me vent.
    ..gary (and I'm in Austin, TX)