Own Domain Name on Standard Account?

SouwalkerSouwalker Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited February 3, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi
Is it possible to use my own domain name with a standard account?
Thanks
Patrick

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Souwalker wrote:
    Hi
    Is it possible to use my own domain name with a standard account?
    Thanks
    Patrick
    No, I'm sorry it is not. It's a pro account feature.
  • wrollinswrollins Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    this clearly isn't an ideal solution, but if you owned your own domain name and had some minimal webspace associated with it (you can find some free accounts that'll give you like 100MB) and if you weren't concerned with hosting any other content.... you could use your index.html (hosted on your free account) to redirect your domain to your nickname.smugmug.com with:
    <html>
    <head>
    ****** HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
          CONTENT="1; URL=http://www.nickname.smugmug.com/">
    </head>
    </html>

i guess that would work... kind of an ugly way to do it though, but it would at least get people to your smugmug site from your domain without being a pro user.
    edited February 2, 2007
    wrollins wrote:
    this clearly isn't an ideal solution, but if you owned your own domain name and had some minimal webspace associated with it (you can find some free accounts that'll give you like 100MB) and if you weren't concerned with hosting any other content.... you could use your index.html (hosted on your free account) to redirect your domain to your nickname.smugmug.com with:
    <html>
    <head>
    ****** HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
          CONTENT="1; URL=http://www.nickname.smugmug.com/">
    </head>
    </html>

i guess that would work... kind of an ugly way to do it though, but it would at least get people to your smugmug site from your domain without being a pro user.
    :nono gallery, site passwords and shopping cart cookies could break.
  • wrollinswrollins Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:

really? i thought the html redirect would just "bounce" a user to the new site... basically just forwarding the user to a smugmug site just as if they clicked a link anywhere else that would bring you to a smugmug site. it would appear in their browser address bar as "http://www.nickname.smugmug.com/&quot;

how could that break gallery and site passwords and shopping cart cookies?

i think that if you used a .htaccess file for redirection it could break stuff but i thought html redirection (though far from an optimal way to achieve this) would be harmless.

am i wrong? ne_nau.gif
  • ddragerddrager Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2007
    Using this method would forward you to the smugmug standard account page, it wouldn't break anything. However, after you initially type the page the browser would show your smugmug URL.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Forward or redirect should work
    Andy wrote:

Andy, as long as this is a true forward or redirect with no frames involved, it should work fine, right?

It would show the real Smugmug URL, not the custom domain, of course.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Andy, as long as this is a true forward or redirect with no frames involved, it should work fine, right?

--John

Yes it would work fine.
    edited February 2, 2007
    jfriend wrote:

--John
    Note that I said "could break" because we just can't officially support it. We support CNAME Aliases. If it works, great - but there are so many possible permutations that we just have to let folks know :D
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 2, 2007
    To be clear, Andy, your servers would never be able to see that it had happened. The Address in the user's browser titlebar would be whatever.smugmug.com, by the time the first HTTP request got to you.
  • episodicepisodic Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    Ooo. . .something I know about :)

Registerfly and most others allow you to redirect your domain name to whatever site you want - and it can be completely transparent - at least register fly is.

My site is episodic.smugmug.com - but I have this:

http://www.pixelessence.net

redirected to my smugmug site. Works fine.