Should I dump Photosuite?

macmasseymacmassey Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited February 5, 2007 in Finishing School
I have Photosuite Platinum 7. It's the only program of its kind I've ever used. It seems alright for the basic stuff, even cloning and making exposure corrections. But, I do plan to eventually upgrade my camera and try to handle photographs in a more professional manner. So, should I dump Photosuite? Would you recommend Photoshop for a guy like me who is at an intermediate level right now at best but looking to upgrade equipment and skills?

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 3, 2007
    mac-

in my opinion, you should definitely move to photoshop-

I really don't know if you should buy cs2 or wait for cs3 (I don't believe it will be too long before it's out)-

ps, at least for me, was somewhat difficult to use starting out, but I have found it to be very rewarding-

there are plenty of tutorials in the how to section and threads in the finishing school board on different aspects of photoshop and plenty of people to help out-
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 3, 2007
    If you want professional looking results, you certainly ought to move to Photoshop. It is the industry standard, and you will find a tremendous number of books and online tutorials to help you learn it. I agree with George that it is not an easy program to learn, but its main drawback is its cost. Photoshop Elements is a much more affordable package and has many of the same features as its big brother. If you have budget constraints, you might want to spend less on software and more on a new camera and lenses for now. If money doesn't matter, then CS2/3 is a no-brainer.

Regards,
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Personally I would by photoshop elements now... then when CS3 comes out you will of outgrown elements but learnt the adobe tools and way of working.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • macmasseymacmassey Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Thanks for the advice!
    [Thanks alot for your thoughts on this. I'll do some checking into the costs. ]mac-

in my opinion, you should definitely move to photoshop-

I really don't know if you should buy cs2 or wait for cs3 (I don't believe it will be too long before it's out)-

ps, at least for me, was somewhat difficult to use starting out, but I have found it to be very rewarding-

there are plenty of tutorials in the how to section and threads in the finishing school board on different aspects of photoshop and plenty of people to help out-[/quote]
    edited February 5, 2007
    Thanks
    [Thanks for the advice. I think upgrading my camera is definitely a good way to go since it's pretty much a starter camera (Lumix FZ20). I'll look into Photoshop Elements, too.]If you want professional looking results, you certainly ought to move to Photoshop. It is the industry standard, and you will find a tremendous number of books and online tutorials to help you learn it. I agree with George that it is not an easy program to learn, but its main drawback is its cost. Photoshop Elements is a much more affordable package and has many of the same features as its big brother. If you have budget constraints, you might want to spend less on software and more on a new camera and lenses for now. If money doesn't matter, then CS2/3 is a no-brainer.

Regards,[/quote]
    edited February 5, 2007
    Thanks
    [Photoshop Elements does sound like the way to go. Thanks!]Personally I would by photoshop elements now... then when CS3 comes out you will of outgrown elements but learnt the adobe tools and way of working.[/quote]