is there a REALLY cheap lens that's just for fun?

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited February 4, 2007 in Cameras
okay, so I was just wondering if anyone knew of a lens around or less than $100 that was merely for fun. it can be crappily built or whatever. kinda like the lomography, those camera are pieces are crap and the pictures they take are technically horrible! but they look REALLY neat! great colors and even the bad focusing abilities is cool.
so is there a lens to make your expensive DSLR take crappy pictures? :)

- RE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    www.lensbaby.com might be what you're looking for.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    There's several EOS-Holga how to sites. Basically you take a Holga lens and attach it to a modified body cap.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    There are people who smear vaseline on a filter for the effect. You could buy a cheap old lens at a garage sale and abuse it in creative ways. Might be a good stress reliever.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    There are people who smear vaseline on a filter for the effect. You could buy a cheap old lens at a garage sale and abuse it in creative ways. Might be a good stress reliever.

I agree . Yesterday i put some vasoline on MC protector . Great effect just rub the finger to change the effect eek7.gif . worked well on multi color objects
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    I agree . Yesterday i put some vasoline on MC protector . Great effect just rub the finger to change the effect eek7.gif . worked well on multi color objects

do you have any that you could share with us?

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    do you have any that you could share with us?

- RE

how about old manual focus lenses-you will need an adapter plate from adorama or the like-a beautiful 50mm/f1.4 Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar can be had for about $50.00.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    May I recommend the Russian Helios 44 58mm. A manual focus lens that will need a M42 lens adaptor, about $14.00. I purchased my Helios for $17.00 on ebay. A fun lens. Built like a tank because it probably was one :-)
    Here is a link to the first pictures I took with this lens. Nothing to write home about, but gives an example of the DOF.

http://KA0TVO.smugmug.com/gallery/2421878/1/126969305
    Bob
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited February 2, 2007
    You can make almost any lens look "cheap" by stretching plastic wrap across the front of the lens. Two layers have more impact than one, and you can improve the center sharpness by cutting a rough hole in the center of the plastic. Try to stay fairly wide open for best effect.

You can also take a cheap lens cap and drill numerous large holes in the cap. Varying the aperture varies the effect, which also varies by focal length. Try both random and regular spacings for the holes.

Also try using a plain (second surface) mirror and viewing an image reflected in the mirror. Distant objects are more affected than close objects.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    Try this link
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    Another idea,
    I have used those "toy" cameras sold in Walmart for about 14.00. Walgreens sells them for 10.95 :-) They are digital and really quite fun.
    Bob
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    KA0TVO wrote:
    May I recommend the Russian Helios 44 58mm. A manual focus lens that will need a M42 lens adaptor, about $14.00. I purchased my Helios for $17.00 on ebay. A fun lens. Built like a tank because it probably was one :-)
    Here is a link to the first pictures I took with this lens. Nothing to write home about, but gives an example of the DOF.

http://KA0TVO.smugmug.com/gallery/2421878/1/126969305

I hate it when people say their pictures are nothing to write about and IMO they look great.
    Ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/