Can this be considered as a form of spam ?

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited February 2, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I received a comment this morning in one of my photos which text was something like:

I would like to contact you, please e-mail me. My mail is ...

I anwsered back with my e-mail.

Then, I received this mail and I quote:

"Hello António, thanks for writing back, I must have overlooked your contact info.

I too am a pro photographer with a site on smugmug. Anyway, I used to do a lot of sports photography, and now I'm looking to market my sports ARTWORK services.

Do you think your clients might be interested in purchasing CUSTOM PAINTINGS of themselves or their kids/family, based on your photos? This is something you could subcontract to me, making extra income for
yourself, with very little extra work on your part.

To get an idea of what I am talking about, check out this gallery, all these paintings/illustrations are derived from actual youth-sports photos I shot:"
gallery

"I learned how to do this from a San Diego digital artist, who was charging her clients $150 for a 13"x19" printed on regular photo paper. I have an Epson giclee-style wide-format printer, and can print directly onto 100% cotton canvas, then protect it with a clear pliable coating. The results are stunning. And I can print onto virtually any size canvas you like.

If this is something that catches your interest, please give me a shout. I hate that this looks like "spam" but I've had a hard time figuring out a way to effectively market my service to other sports-photographers around the country.

Thank you for your time."

Name
___
In the afternoon I came to the computer and I could not find the comment on my photo. :scratchMay be I was wronge and the comment was not on that photo but on another one ... But I doubt because I remember images quite well. But I do fail sometimes...:dunno

:scratch Have you ever received such a message ?
:scratch Doesn't he know that I am Portuguese and I am not around the country ?
Life is hard I know but ...
:D
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Control Panel>Comments and you can see all your comments.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Control Panel>Comments and you can see all your comments.

Indeed Andy.
    I knew that, but I could not remember at the moment.

The text is
    Nice work! How can I contact you? I have a professional question to ask you.

I will not identify the person. Not here.

Are you OK ? Hope so.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Indeed Andy.
    I knew that, but I could not remember at the moment.

The text is
    Nice work! How can I contact you? I have a professional question to ask you.

I will not identify the person. Not here.

Are you OK ? Hope so.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

ATTN: Andy in the subject line :D

wave.gif
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    I received a comment this morning in one of my photos which text was something like:

I would like to contact you, please e-mail me. My mail is ...

I anwsered back with my e-mail.

Then, I received this mail and I quote:

:D
    in my book this is spam... I don't care that it is somewhat personalized... you are the second person to ask, here on dgrin, about a comment they received which asked for an email response....

If it was me, I wouldn't respond...
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    dmc wrote:
    ...If it was me, I wouldn't respond...

May be that's the right thing to do.
    Moreover, I have my e-mail and my mobile number on the front page ...
    thumb.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    I shoot a lot of models and I got a comment once from a local photographer who was trying to arrange a shoot with a model in some photos. eek7.gif It was written like he thought he was e-mailing the model.

Needless to say, that comment was deleted. Oh yeah-- I too have my contact info on my website-- so it is weird when someone comments like that rather than contacting me directly.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 2, 2007
    Opinions will differ.

But I, personally, don't have too much trouble with someone like this offering professional services to someone else who's a professional... *once*.

"In a different country" is a problem, certainly. :-)

But if the account is positioned as a pro account, then it wouldn't trouble me too much -- though I would have preferred to get it via email, not a public comment.

But large-format output's not all that hard to *come by* either, so...