Adding galleries to a community

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited February 3, 2007 in SmugMug Support
When you add a gallery to a community is there no way to have that gallery keep your CSS settings (there is community setting that screws up everything and smugmug that screws up any of my CSS adjustments).

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    When you add a gallery to a community is there no way to have that gallery keep your CSS settings (there is community setting that screws up everything and smugmug that screws up any of my CSS adjustments).
    No, there is no way. See the "note" here:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/communities
  • Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    No, there is no way. See the "note" here:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/communities

I read the note, is there any way to get Smugmug to change this to allow people to keep their customization and still be part of a community?
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    I read the note, is there any way to get Smugmug to change this to allow people to keep their customization and still be part of a community?

It's up to the community owner on whether he controls the look, or allow each gallery to keep their own look....

I put a couple galleries up on a new community here from a local DSLR club... That's how I discovered this dilema as well... the biggest bummer is that even if I viewed my gallery from My site, it still wouldn't show my customization as long as it was associated with that community.

I told the community owner that I would probably pull my galleries because of this.... instead, he was willing to change the community option (allowing my customization) instead.

It would be nice if my customizations would remain active when viewing my gallery from MY SITE though, regardless of the community's setting, I think most people would expect that.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 3, 2007
    dmc wrote:
    It would be nice if my customizations would remain active when viewing my gallery from MY SITE though, regardless of the community's setting, I think most people would expect that.
    And right there, you pin down what I very much suspect is one of the things that will make Virtual Galleries (which everyone seems to want to see) hard to define well enough to implement: if you have one original image, and it appears in multiple galleries, what's a reasonable definition of how you apply attributes to it (like whether it should be linkable or watermarked, etc)?

My personal preference is that they do it the way Zope does acquisition: by it's position in the *logical* tree.

It's somewhat counterintuitive that whether you look at an image in my portfolio, or in the event shoot I shot it for, should determine whether you can save it or not, but I suspect it's the behavior photogs would want.

If you're not clear on why, extrapolate to *private and passworded galleries*.
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    imageinc wrote:
    And right there, you pin down what I very much suspect is one of the things that will make Virtual Galleries (which everyone seems to want to see) hard to define well enough to implement: if you have one original image, and it appears in multiple galleries, what's a reasonable definition of how you apply attributes to it (like whether it should be linkable or watermarked, etc)?

Virtual galleries should be "created" just like a normal gallery... it would have gallery customization where you pick your category, theme, sorting preference, feature pic, security, just like a "normal" gallery... the only difference is "the list" of what pictures belong to that virtual gallery. sure there are some technical issues to resolve...that's why it's a feature request!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    No, sorry there is not.