Pentax istDL vs K100D?

pahlpahl Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited February 3, 2007 in Cameras
I have had the pentax ist DL for a couple months now.
I have mostly been shooting indoor basketball photos with it.

I have a couple lens for it already so I would like to stick with pentax.

I have the kit lens. Also a pentax 50mm/f1.4 and the pentax fish-eye 10-17mm.

I am looking at the K100D for the shake redution and the 11-point TTL AF system.

I think the shake redution would be great for not just indoor basketball but for when I get a longer lens for outdoor sports too.

I also wonder if the k100d AF system would be better as all I seem to have now is two AF settings and I can't say it seems to be the greatest AF system for indoor baskeball.

I would love to hear from other K100D owners or anyone else that could tell me the difference between the two or what I could expect going from the a pentax ist to a K100D

Thanks..
[FONT=arial,helvetica]

[/FONT]
http://pahl.smugmug.com

Pentax istDL
50mm-f/1.4
10-17mm fish-eye
18-55mm kit lens
Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]

Comments

• SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    The K100D isn't going to be that big of an improvement in the autofocus department. Its not so much the number of sensors as it is the chips that process the info those sensors pick up. The K100D doesn't have the completely upgraded AF system like the K10D. If you're looking for better AF, shell out the extra money for the K10D.

BTW, how bad is the AF on the DL? I only use mine with screwmounts.
  • pahlpahl Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    SCS_Photo wrote:
    The K100D isn't going to be that big of an improvement in the autofocus department. Its not so much the number of sensors as it is the chips that process the info those sensors pick up. The K100D doesn't have the completely upgraded AF system like the K10D. If you're looking for better AF, shell out the extra money for the K10D.

BTW, how bad is the AF on the DL? I only use mine with screwmounts.

I don't have anything to compare it too. I think the DL AF works ok, it's just that I only have the three points. One center and two other each on the right and left of center.

If I turn the camera sideways say for basketball shots then the three focus point run up and down. With all the AF points of the K100 I should have more option, right?

I find myself putting all my subject in the center too, becuase I am using the AF. I have tried to use the AF lock and then move the subject to the side after locking focus, but it takes to long to do that durring games.
    http://pahl.smugmug.com

Pentax istDL
    50mm-f/1.4
    10-17mm fish-eye
    18-55mm kit lens
    Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]